Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

4/5 engaged at 31 weeks?

(8 Posts)
bubblegumgirl Wed 12-Feb-14 11:46:07

Just been to my GP who says that the baby is 4/5 engaged in my pelvis - I'm 31 weeks, isn't this really early? Should I be getting prepared for an early arrival??

I'm not even leaving work until 3 weeks before my due date and I'm a bit worried that if the baby does come early, I'll be in a meeting!

Anybody have any experience of this and can tell me if an early arrival is likely?

Cheers all (gulp!)

nevergoogle Wed 12-Feb-14 11:48:54

I'm also 31 weeks and 4/5 engaged.

It doesn't really mean much i'm afraid. They can become 'unengaged' again from 4/5.

It means 1/5 of the baby's head is in the pelvis. Which isn't much really.

bubblegumgirl Wed 12-Feb-14 11:54:38

Oh! I thought that 5/5 engaged meant that you were in labour! Not sure where I got that from but I thought that the higher the number the more engaged the baby's head ...?

Flixy102 Wed 12-Feb-14 11:59:14

I think 4/5 means that they can feel 4/5 of the baby's head in your belly so only 1/5 is unfeelable (totally made up word there!) as it's engaged, if u get what I mean. But yeah, it's confusing!

nevergoogle Wed 12-Feb-14 12:00:55

i thought the same, the terminology seems backwards.

ThedementedPenguin Wed 12-Feb-14 12:02:22

It means they can still feel 4/5 of baby head. Meaning there is only 1/5 engaged in pelvis.

bubblegumgirl Wed 12-Feb-14 16:36:23

Ah! Ok, well, panic over then :-)

PastaandCheese Wed 12-Feb-14 17:47:43

Don't panic if you do engage further in the next few weeks. There is no correlation between engagement and early labour. I can very much understand why you'd think there would be though.... It just sounds like there should be doesn't it?!

Both my babies were fully engaged early on and DD was late and this one is very much full term and I expect shall be late like its sister.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now