Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Help - Fruit Tea in early pregnancy

(14 Posts)
MrsS82 Wed 12-Feb-14 11:45:34

Hi all, looking for some advice. I am 5 weeks and 1 days pregnant, got my BFP last Monday and since then in a hope of curing my caffeine addiction I've cut back to 1 cup decaf tea per day and 1 cup of Twining�s Strawberry & Raspberry only during the week... amounts to 6 cups in total.

My issue is I was reading an article this morning on which herbs to avoid and licorice root was mentioned, the twining�s has a small amount and which apparently cause birth defects and uterus contractions so obviously I am now terrified that I've been unbelievably stupid and tht any cramp of stretching I feel is related, although most sites suggest these contain such a small amount of any herbs that they are safe to drink during pregnancy.

Please any comments to put my mind at rest would be appreciated. This is my first pregnany and only 2nd month ttc so everything is very new to me.

donttellalfred Wed 12-Feb-14 11:51:43

If they weren't safe to drink in pregnancy, it would say so on the packet. As you say it's probably just a tiny amount of licorice root in them anyway. It's normal to get aches and cramps in early pregnancy, so don't worry. And a couple of cups of normal tea every day won't do you any harm either!

MrsS82 Wed 12-Feb-14 11:54:02

Thank you for quick response, I know I am being over dramatic and 6 cups in 9 days shouldn't do any lasting harm but as its still very early I am in constant worry mode.

AntoinetteCosway Wed 12-Feb-14 12:16:01

Products that aren't safe in pregnancy say so on the packaging. The things to be really careful of are uncooked meat and liver.

squizita Wed 12-Feb-14 12:34:29

The NHS food guide specifies that liquorice is considered safe (according to their docs) in pregnancy- people actually asked in the comments below the food list. If you google long enough EVERYTHING is banned according to someone.For peace of mind I'm taking one list (NHS in my case) that I know is based on large reliable surveys, and sticking with it. smile

donttellalfred Wed 12-Feb-14 13:17:54

Google Zoe Williams on the advice about what to avoid in pregnancy - she looks at the evidence clearly and without the usual hysteria surrounding this subject.

Plateofcrumbs Wed 12-Feb-14 13:42:05

I've stopped drinking teas containing liquorice root (which is a surprisingly common ingredient) but that's more an over-zealous precautionary measure rather than anything evidence based.

From what I've seen the evidence about impact of liquorice is based on very high consumption of the stuff, so I seriously doubt the tiny amounts in a few fruit teas will have any impact. I just stopped because it was easy to avoid.

MrsS82 Wed 12-Feb-14 17:44:21

thank you all, I feel a lot better now. I have read all the usual NHS what to avoid lists but it's hard not to get carried away with random articles and posts. I will avoid on the slim chance they can do any damage but think I just need learn to relax or it will be a long 8 months. smile

ClearlyMoo Thu 13-Feb-14 10:16:07

[[http://www.pukkaherbs.com/faq-old ]]

Try this link it's specific to Pukka teas but gives you an idea of safe limits in pregnancy! HTH

ClearlyMoo Thu 13-Feb-14 10:16:29

Tries link again www.pukkaherbs.com/faq-old

ClearlyMoo Thu 13-Feb-14 10:19:28

Scroll down to the "licorice" section obviously!

JustCallMeBaldrick Thu 13-Feb-14 11:56:09

I've been mainlining liquorice and peppermint tea since my BFP (now 38 weeks) - think 3-4 cups a day - and all's well with baby. HTH

MrsS82 Thu 13-Feb-14 16:54:07

thank you NowCallMeBaldrick, that's really good to know, think I just had a wobble when I read it. smile

Plateofcrumbs Thu 13-Feb-14 18:37:13

ClearlyMoo that's a really helpful link - and good on Pukka Teas for providing such a useful website!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now