Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Is it possible to go into labour without any real 'signs'?

(14 Posts)
Julietee Wed 12-Feb-14 11:26:27

I'm 38+3 today.
No real signs except and on-and-off again mild ache low down where I'd get period pain. I don't even get braxton hicks. I have no idea if the baby has dropped or not - every time I wake in the night he seems to have crawled up my body and nestled under my ribs!

So - is it possible to have labour start without the traditional signs? Please say yes!

Lj8893 Wed 12-Feb-14 11:29:58

Yes I think so.

I had the odd braxton hicks I think but it could have just been usual aches and pains in late pregnancy.

I had a bloody show at 10am and contractions started at 1pm, baby was here at 5.35pm.

Artandco Wed 12-Feb-14 11:33:32

Yes. I went to work the morning ds1 was born at 38 weeks. Few twinges at 2pm but felt fine, left work at 6pm as usual, 7.30-8pm lots if tightness and craps, 9pm hospital but still felt like I had days if not weeks left. 10.34pm ds1 was born

ThePequod Wed 12-Feb-14 11:38:56

Yes, I'd say so - DH was excited for baby's arrival and kept asking me if I'd had any 'signs of labour' as the books describe. Nesting, cramps, that sort of thing. Nothing.

Then at 39+6 I had a bloody show when I went to the loo, contractions started shortly after that and didn't stop until DD was born at 40+0!

In retrospect I think I'd probably been contracting for a while before I could feel the contractions IYSWIM - like when you have a CTG and it picks up contractions that are too mild to feel.

Amphisbaena Wed 12-Feb-14 11:42:45

Definitely, I did silent labour with DS2. No pain until just 6 contractions, and then baby arrived at home accidentally!

WillYouDoTheFandango Wed 12-Feb-14 11:43:29

I had a normal show (no blood) about 2.5 weeks before I went into labour but absolutely nothing else. I went in to be induced at 39w and when they put me on the trace I was already in labour.

I'd been complaining my back was aching all night but didn't realise it was early labour.

nessus Wed 12-Feb-14 11:43:36

Yes! Had no idea I was in labour with Dd. Had what I thought was simply braxton hicks and a crazy urge to poo at one point but couldn't. DM (nurse) phoned to see how I was and plans for the weekend. Told her didn't sleep great and all the rest and exclaims that I am in labour. Tell her no quite firmly and that I am going back to bed. She convinces me to let her come round and take me to hospital. We get there at 12:43pm and Dd was born at 13:31pm

I realised after that I must have a high pain threshold!!

naty1 Wed 12-Feb-14 11:44:00

Yes i had nothing till contractions

ksrwr Wed 12-Feb-14 12:22:16

yes, well for me it was, i had absolutely no signs, then suddenly my first contraction out of nowhere!

Julietee Wed 12-Feb-14 12:29:43

Well, this is all reassuring, thank you.
My lack of signs was making me paranoid my EDD was wrong and I'm actually weeks behind where I think I am.

DinoSnores Wed 12-Feb-14 13:12:43

Yes, I had had a couple of sweeps and a bit of show, but nothing impressive. I just assumed I'd be keeping my induction appointment a few days later. I woke up at 2am with regular contractions and that day DS was born!

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Wed 12-Feb-14 13:21:03

Yes, with ds1&2 I woke up in the middle of the night in labour. No shows or contractions beforehand. Just woke up with mild period type pains which were regular contractions.

You could have another month before you go into labour OP. don't be disheartened by this comment, use the time to get things sorted or to do fuck all smile

HandbagsandSnotrags Wed 12-Feb-14 13:35:34

Another one who had 3dc without any signs pre contractions starting. No braxton hicks, no show, no waters breaking, nothing until contractions. All 3 labours were then pretty quick and straightforward.
Good luck for when your DC does decide to put in an appearance.

vj32 Wed 12-Feb-14 14:39:06

Yes, I had no show, no waters breaking. Didn't think I was in labour for hours as the pain was like period pain, bit really anything worse. Of course it got worse...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now