Talk

Advanced search

Vaginal ultrasound.

(28 Posts)
SweetPea86 Tue 11-Feb-14 22:28:30

Right I'm going to sound like a plonker because I'm going to have to give birth with numerous people seeing my vagina lol .

I've got a ultra sound at 36 weeks to check to see if my placenta has moved up.

My notes say I may have to have a vaginal scan. I'm totally freaking out is it painful. And what happens.

I know I'm a wimp

catbus Tue 11-Feb-14 22:36:05

No it's not smile
It's a little like having a smear.. I'm sure they will be gentle. I sing if anyone has to medically fanny about with my bits blush
Good luck smile

Beatrixemerald Tue 11-Feb-14 22:36:26

Not painful at all, barely even uncomfortable and I am a total wimp!

catbus Tue 11-Feb-14 22:37:21

It does feel a bit like someone using the scanner as a gear stick, to have a good look about. That should give you a giggle when they do it!grin

MrsBungle Tue 11-Feb-14 22:37:48

I've had one a few times now (in pregnancy and for pcos). I've never found it painful. Far less uncomfortable than a smear for me.

Wuxiapian Tue 11-Feb-14 22:39:33

It's not painful. They lube the instrument for ease of use.

Don't worry, you'll be fine.

ShoeWhore Tue 11-Feb-14 22:40:49

Oh no really don't worry about this, it's totally fine. Nothing like a smear ime.

Roshbegosh Tue 11-Feb-14 22:41:31

For the late placenta check it just goes in a little bit and does not need to be moved very much. They will only look at the placenta in relation to the cervix, they won't use this approach to check everything at this stage.

SweetPea86 Tue 11-Feb-14 22:49:07

Thanks ladies feel a bit better about it now. I don't even like the denist putting the mirror on a stick in my mouth lol I'm a total and utter wimp lol

Daytona79 Tue 11-Feb-14 23:07:09

I had one and was a bit shocked. - no idea what I thought it would be..

I thought it looked like a skinny dildo and they even put a condom on it. Was kinda weird but hey ho it never hurt at all.

2kidsintow Tue 11-Feb-14 23:08:34

They definitely have a bit of a rummage. wink
Not painful, but I found it a little uncomfortable.

HowAboutNo Tue 11-Feb-14 23:09:17

It was fine, it just... Erm. Went right on in, no discomfort. Slightly depressing actually... blush

You'll be fine!

WinterDrawsOff Tue 11-Feb-14 23:11:18

I refused the dildo cam. The technician managed to find out all the information that was needed using an abdominal ultrasound.

BrandNewIggi Tue 11-Feb-14 23:16:49

Much less sore than a smear. You'll have a sheet over your nether regions and be asked to put your knees up, then they plonk it in (last time I had one he didn't even look under the sheet, just manoeuvred it in!) and then you'll be looking at your baby and not thinking about it smile

TestingTestingWonTooFree Wed 12-Feb-14 07:37:09

I agree, it's a skinny dildo, much less uncomfortable than a smear. Don't panic about it.

MummyPig24 Wed 12-Feb-14 07:54:52

I had to have dildocam at 6 weeks when I had a bleed. It wasn't painful at all. A tiny bit uncomfortable at one point but that's all.

squizita Wed 12-Feb-14 07:57:58

I've had about 10 (recurrent miscarriage tests). It's utterly painless- much less uncomfortable than a smear. They don't even always push it very far in at all. There is absolutely no reason to fear or refuse it at all.

somedizzywhore1804 Wed 12-Feb-14 08:00:13

I've had lots and it just feels like when you start having sex. I don't know how else to describe it. If you got the baby in there the conventional way you will be able to cope with this grin

Loopylouu Wed 12-Feb-14 09:59:34

I just had one for the same thing at 32 weeks.

I've had lots before due to miscarriages, they were fine but this was much better. She explained she didn't have to put the probe in a far as they would have had to after the mc or in early pregnancy. Literally only the top went in, I didn't even feel it.

Don't worry it will be fine.

Seeline Wed 12-Feb-14 10:02:03

I had one 6 weeks after giving birth with episiotomy, tear and numerous stitches and barely felt a thing.

Jess03 Wed 12-Feb-14 11:01:25

It is a bit embarrassing though. Although after the birth it paled in comparison though smile pregnancy, just hard to keep your dignity.

eurochick Wed 12-Feb-14 11:02:06

It's really fine. I've had about 30 in the course of fertility treatment and early preg. It's painless and they just glance there for a second to make sure they are aiming right, then they are looking at the screen. It doesn't hurt at all.

Expectingtwins1975 Wed 12-Feb-14 13:56:37

I had loads during my ivf (at one stage was having about 4 a week) ... They really don't hurt at all ... Honestly don't worry about it

SaggyOldClothCatPuss Wed 12-Feb-14 15:06:30

Well look at it this way. Seeing as how you are currently pg, im assuming at some point you had something considerably larger up there... wink grin
It doesn't hurt. I've had several. Try not to worry.

SweetPea86 Wed 12-Feb-14 15:12:52

HAHA saggyoldcloth that did make me laugh your right I just hate every thing clinic in general I totally freak out over ever thing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now