Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Help a Newbie - I'm new to the UK and to Pregnancy

(16 Posts)
BluegrassLass Tue 11-Feb-14 19:38:52

I'm an American that's moved here to the UK (Scotland specifically) about 5months ago, with my British hubby. As my prior post here said, I think I'm around 3 weeks pregnant. I honestly have no idea of what to do next. Not only do I have no clue about pregnancy (I'm techie geek that never paid much attention to kids), but I'm new to the NHS system as well.

Can anyone give me an idea of what steps are next, when tests are, what kind of tests, when/how often are ultrasounds done? Is there a handy reference guide somewhere that lays all this out? My hubby isn't any help whatsoever with this, and neither is my mother-in-law, as she gave birth to my hubby in South Africa.

Any guidance is very much appreciated!

JuanFernandezTitTyrant Tue 11-Feb-14 19:45:08

The nhs website is very helpful on this score but, essentially, you should contact your GP and ask how to get referred to the midwives. The GP almost certainly won't confirm a home pregnancy test but will just take your word for it.

The you'll have booking in with the midwives (they ask a load of questions about your health and history) and get into the system. Scans at 12ish and 20ish weeks unless you have complications. Appointments with your midwife about every 4 weeks until you get close to term then very two weeks.

It's all very anti-climactic I'm afraid grin

yummystepford Tue 11-Feb-14 19:45:24

It depends on each area. Make sure if you haven't already, to register with your local GP. Make an appointment in the next few weeks and tell them you are pregnant. You will see the midwife around 8-10 weeks, a scan at 12 weeks and 20 weeks and regular midwife appointments. Less midwife appointments if it's not your first baby.

Carsandtrucks Tue 11-Feb-14 19:52:51

In my area, you ring the gp and make a midwife appointment at around 8 weeks. In my area the midwife comes to the surgery once a week, I assume it's probably similar in other places. You have your midwife appointment and they'll talk you through all the scans and stuff. In my first pregnancy which had no complications I saw
Someone usually the midwife every 4 weeks

BluegrassLass Tue 11-Feb-14 20:08:18

I am registered with a GP. I haven't had to use them yet. So if I have my first midwife/GP apt at 8weeks along, do they just take your word for when the 8weeks from conception would be?

Rockchick1984 Tue 11-Feb-14 20:31:06

It'll be dated from your last period, so 6 weeks from conception is 8 weeks pregnant.

nyldn Tue 11-Feb-14 20:31:21

Hi Blue- I'm American in the uk and pregnant for he first time too! I went to my gp at 6 weeks expecting a blood test o confirm, but they just take some notes and refer you to a hospital to have a booking appt at 10 weeks where they take blood/urine. I wound up getting a private scan at 8 weeks because I wanted confirmation that I was pregnant and a scan to bring home to my family. It was so different fom American friends getting bloodwork done several times before the first scan.

Congrats on your pregnancy!

PenguinsDontEatKale Tue 11-Feb-14 20:31:24

Your pregnancy isn't dated from conception. It is dated from the first day of your last menstrual period. So for most people the first two weeks of pregnancy they aren't pregnant (mind blowing I know!).

PenguinsDontEatKale Tue 11-Feb-14 20:33:58

They take your word, but will do a urine test if you are unsure as a first step.

Check whether you need an appointment with a GP. In some areas you can self-refer to a midwife. If you can't, your GP appointment is a quick chat and some leaflets (unless you have underlying health problems)

You'll have your first proper appointment with midwives around 8-10 weeks. That will take medical history, etc. You may have bloods taken at that appointment or it may be later at your first scan. This appointment could take place in a number of locations depending on local arrangments - at home, in the hospital, at the GP.

First scan is at the GP around 12 weeks.

PenguinsDontEatKale Tue 11-Feb-14 20:34:40

Whoops! First scan is at the hospital at around 12 weeks. Excuse typo!

BluegrassLass Tue 11-Feb-14 20:42:42

Well, I wonder if I would be considered to have complications? I am overweight (I was working on this before getting preggers), and I have paternal family history of diabetes, and I also have multiple sclerosis. And I'm 35y/o. How or would any of these factors affect any appointments and scans I might receive?

I actually tested pregnant (first time ever!) on 3 Jan. But 2 days later, before I could call a GP or anything, I had a miscarriage. So I haven't actually had a true period since Nov. 30th. Someone on the Conception forum said my pregnancy would likely be dated from Jan. 5th, not the conception (which I know is the 20/21 since it was my OHs birthday and I know I was ovulating). If that's the case, then would I be considered 5weeks and not 3weeks?

BluegrassLass Tue 11-Feb-14 20:45:54

Hi NYLDN! Yes, this is very different compared to the process my family and friends have been through back home! I was thinking about getting a private scan as well, just for peace of mind that I'm actually pregnant, but I wasn't sure where to go/who to call.

PenguinsDontEatKale Tue 11-Feb-14 20:49:41

They never date your pregnancy from conception.

Even if you have IVF and they know when the embryo was created, the 40 week pregnancy is based around conception taking place at about day 14 of your cycle.

So, at the point where you have a missed period on a normal 28 day cycle, you are 4 weeks pregnant.

Sorry to hear about your miscarriage. Yes, in your case they will likely date your pregnancy from the date of the miscarriage and treat that as if it was the first day of your period. The date is confirmed by your first scan anyway, so they aren't too worried about accuracy at this stage as it can shift later.

Your medical history does sound like it might affect things in terms of appointmetns and scans, but I don't know the details I am afraid.

PenguinsDontEatKale Tue 11-Feb-14 20:50:57

If you want a private early scan Google for viability scans in your area. Or if you can be more specific about your location someone on here might know somewhere. smile

BluegrassLass Tue 11-Feb-14 20:56:21

I'm in Edinburgh. I'm googling as I type!

scissy Tue 11-Feb-14 21:10:47

Hi Bluegrass, firstly, congratulations!

You may well be considered to have "complications" due to your history, however in practice this generally means that some of your midwife appointments will be at the hospital with a consultant instead (or in addition depending on area) and they may wish to do extra scans. However this will be decided when you book in with the midwife (who will refer you if she thinks it is appropriate). It may also restrict where you can give birth (if your medical history deems you "high risk", you'll probably have to give birth in a consultant led unit).

As an aside, it's worth going to see the GP because for some medical conditions, a higher dose of folic acid is recommended and this can only be prescribed by a GP. They should be able to tell you if this applies to you and sort you out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now