Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

37+5 and SPD

(25 Posts)
mummie2b1987 Tue 11-Feb-14 19:29:02

Hi can anyone suggest anything for me please smile was diagnosed with spd at 14 ish weeks and up until last week it hasn't been too bad (well I thought it was bad at the time until now!!) as of last week though I have been in excruciating agony- I don't know what's happened I think baby may have dropped into pelvis (last mw app at 36+1 she was head down but free)

I can hardly walk, been taking paracetamol every 4 hours but it doesn't even touch it I have a bump support band which helps but I can't do anything hmm I have cried at least 3 times today because of the pain it's like I'm permanently bruised in the pelvis! Sneezing and coughing are so painful as is walking, sitting down for too long, getting up sad I know I'm so close to due date but I really don't think I can take it til then! My mw and gp have been no help with this at all, all they say is rest and take paracetamol hmm which is what I'm doing but it's not helping hmm

I'm so scared about labour with this pain I'm getting now and doing myself more damage when I'm in labour hmm no one seems to understand how painful this is and if one more person says "you wait til your in labour!" - yes I know but you don't understand how painful this is and the thought of a potential four weeks of this pain makes me cry hmm

Anyone in the same boat? Or been there and got any advice of anything I can do would be greatly appreciated I'm totally at the end of my tether hmmhmmhmm Tia xxxxx

snapple21 Tue 11-Feb-14 19:46:58

Hi I'm 37+2 and have woken up today exactly the same - I've been crying today as well!! Can't offer much advice except baths paracetemol and gym ball you have

snapple21 Tue 11-Feb-14 19:47:32

Sorry posted too soon - if you have a gym ball use it.

I'm so down today! It really hurts. I'm planning a Waterbirth which should help - have you considered this?

mummie2b1987 Tue 11-Feb-14 19:53:44

Hi sorry you're the same hmm it's totally crap isn't it sad Yeah the bath helps but then I'm in agony getting out! Ha! I'm currently on gym ball which is again helping with pain but as as soon as I'm off it it's back hmmhmmhmmhmmhmmhmm I'm totally fed up too! And so down I just want it to stop hope it's not too long for you either! Xxx

mummie2b1987 Tue 11-Feb-14 19:55:04

I hadn't considered water birth tbh but right now if I think it might help then I'm up for anything! Problem is my hospital only has one pool so if it's not available I'm screwed hmm think if it's free I'll try it but not pinning my hopes on it! Xxx

Mummytobe2014 Tue 11-Feb-14 20:21:12

Im 36+1 and have spd which is very painful today, i have gone back to work this week aftet being signed off for two weeks so think it feels alot worse because i am up anf about. I have been referred to physio by my midwife and its a group session of pregnant ladies on monday so hope to pick up some tips. Im on countdown as finish work fri (cant wait).
Its so painful isnt it i find it hard to explain to dp and others jst how bad it feels.
Im hoping for water birth altho i was told at beginning of pg that i couldnt have one i am hoping on the day i can do it.

Im sorry i dnt have any tips as i have jst been resting with feet up which is nice but getting up is agony as is sleeping currently.

Why dnt u ask ur midwife to refer u for physio??
X

lizzie712 Tue 11-Feb-14 20:26:23

My step daughter suffered with SPD, she had her baby 7 weeks ago after her GP referred her for physio and to see the consultant at the hospital, physio helped and the consultant agreed an induction at 38 weeks. I don't think she could have coped with the SPD much longer. Request a referral, you don't need to suffer with this extremely painful condition! Good luck !!

mummie2b1987 Tue 11-Feb-14 20:30:03

I was told by both my gp and mw that by the time I got an appointment with a physio I would have had the baby! So there would be no point as it would have gone by then !! This was at 20 weeks pregnant! Honestly had no support regarding this from either! It's been a joke! hmm Xxxx

KatharineClover Tue 11-Feb-14 20:39:22

Sorry to hear of your pain - a 20 week wait for physio is crazy! I was referred at 18 weeks and seen at 21 weeks. If it helps, during contractions I didn't really feel my SPD pain. In labour try to stay upright, birth in water if you can, and avoid if possible being on your back with legs apart or epidural as these can cause further damage. I have read lots of people write rave reviews about osteopath treatment for SPD (going in on crutches and walking out unaided etc!) it's early days for me in preg 2 but that's what I shall be saving for if things get bad.

mummie2b1987 Tue 11-Feb-14 20:42:44

I have midwife app on Friday think I'm gunner have to request to see consultant I think cos I can't cope with this hmm xxx

Mummytobe2014 Tue 11-Feb-14 20:51:37

Where abouts r u? Im west sussex and saw my mw wed and physio called me saturday to arrange appt. Its crazy u wld have to wait so long when in that much pain its not fair! sad

rightsaidfred Tue 11-Feb-14 21:22:24

I had this with my last pregnancy...... really feel for you.
I spent 6 months on crutches and really reached breaking point at around 37 weeks. The midwifes were suggesting I had an early C Section at 37 weeks but the consultant prescribed codeine painkillers and that really helped and I made it to 39 weeks. The best thing was that a couple of hours after a C Section I was in a better state than I had been for months (was able to put my own knickers on for the first time in months :-)
Do you have crutches? If you can't see a physio then can the GP at least arrange this? It really helps
Don't stress about taking strong painkillers- you need to get some rest and they won't affect the baby at this stage- GP might be reluctant but consultant should prescribe.
The best thing about physio was the practical tips they gave me.....
Are you sleeping with a pillow between your thighs? Really helps take the pressure off. I also found that Satin pj bottoms helped me slide a bit better to roll over in bed.
Getting into a car- sit on the edge of the seat with knees together and swivel (I carrier bag under the bum gives a bit of extra slip to swivel more easily)
Don't have experience of labour I'm afraid as had C Sections for a different issue

mummie2b1987 Tue 11-Feb-14 21:24:47

I'm in Lincolnshire sad our Nhs trust is crap! I'm going to the drs tomorrow to see if he ll prescribe some stronger painkillers- I know some one who was given codeine for hers- and then at midwife on Friday I'll ask to see consultant - I don't care what they do I just need some help! they will let me go ten days over my due date - I don't think I can cope with that! So need to have a proper discussion with either consultant or midwife I think sad xxx

mummie2b1987 Tue 11-Feb-14 21:33:08

Hi rightsaidfred smile I'm Currently having to sleep sat up as I can't lay down at all- I'm sleeping on a duvet with a satiny cover on to help me slip about and if I can manage to go on my side I do put a pillow between legs, and i do do the Cartier bag thing for the car- I'm not on crutches but If the dr could give them or consultant I'd happily take them- I was so against codeine when the midwife talked about it before but it wasn't as bad as this so now I'm thinking at this gestation I'm happy to take them as she's fully developed now smile and I just want something to see me through.

I feel so rubbish hmm I'm really so excited to meet my baby girl grin dh is trying his best to do everything for me but I can tell he's getting a bit fed up bless him but I just don't think he realises how just doing a simple thing like unloading the dishwasher or tidying up is so unnbareable sad best laugh is all I want to do is clean and I can't!!!!! Xxx

jolufc Tue 11-Feb-14 21:41:52

Have you a chiropractor close? I was on crutches from 20 weeks and found the chiropractor could manipulate my back to help realign my pelvis which gave temporary relief. Make sure you sit with your pelvis higher than your knees and get crutches. It's agony but soon forgotten after the birth. I could walk without crutches an hour after and everyone said I looked healthier straight after the birth than the 20 weeks before! It also didn't affect my labour. Get an epidural as you are not mobile anyway.

rightsaidfred Tue 11-Feb-14 21:41:59

Take whatever pain killers they will give you (and ask for some lactulose to go with them!) The other thing they did with me is tubi grip my whole body from bust to knees with doubled up tubi grip...... certainly got the sympathy vote from my dh when he saw me bandaged from head to toe :-)

SoonToBeSix Tue 11-Feb-14 21:44:47

Take codeine it helps and is safe.

CrispyFB Wed 12-Feb-14 20:15:20

After I had DC2 by EMCS, I was out shopping on day 5. The midwife called and demanded to know why I wasn't at home. I said recovery from a c-section was NOTHING on what I had been going through with SPD and I had an absolute ton of shopping to catch up on, we practically had nothing! The SPD hadn't gone completely (it takes a few months for me) but the relief was still immense.

SPD is horrific. This is DC4, am nearly 34 weeks, and I get it every time and have serious mobility issues from 15-20 weeks onwards. The constant pain drives me insane - I take co-codamol at night but am reluctant to take more.

I am almost counting the hours until delivery, I am not sure which I am looking forward to more - meeting my baby or the pain to stop!

If you can go for a swim (avoid breaststroke or anything that is too "kicky" - so often just floating!) you can get a brief oasis of pain relief whilst you're in the pool.

cosmickitten Wed 12-Feb-14 20:26:21

I have been lucky enough to see natal physio for SPD at 24 weeks. I'm sorry you haven't been better looked after.

The physio have me a copy of this leaflet

http://www.uhs.nhs.uk/Media/Controlleddocuments/Patientinformation/Pregnancyandbirth/Pelvic-and-back-pain-during-pregnancy-patient-information.pdf

Sorry I can't make link work but you should be able copy and paste into a browser. It includes some simple excersise which might help?

lumpylumps Wed 12-Feb-14 20:33:05

I'm 37 weeks tomorrow. Also in Lincolnshire. I was able to self refer to the physio and was seen the same day. I've been on crutches since October but they no longer help. Mine seems to suddenly have got a lot worse. Physio said it's because the baby has dropped and is adding more pressure to an already irritated, inflamed joint. There's nothing more she can do so has recommended induction. I have an appointment with the consultant on Friday.

mummie2b1987 Thu 13-Feb-14 13:13:18

Thanks everyone so I saw my gp today to ask for some pain relief ... After explaining I have been taking paracetamol every 4 hours, wearing a support belt all to no avail and that at now 38 weeks the thought of another potential 3 wks 3 days (my hospital only let you go 10 days over) is just not something I could cope with !!! He phoned a midwife at my local hospital who suggested buying a support belt from mothercare and taking paracetamol .... I had to remind him I had just told him I have been doing this but it's not touching it! He said .... Your at the very end if your pregnancy I suggest you talk to your midwife next time you see her!!!!!!! Arrggggghhh!!!!! so I politely pointed out that this isn't good enough and that he can't just leave me In This amount of pain and that I'm fed up of not being taken seriously on this ... I told him that when I was diagnosed with spd at 14 weeks another dr at this surgery said that if it got to bad to manage then codeine could be prescribed and could he not prescribe me this?! He consulted his "book" and said that it really doesn't mention if it's safe etc and that if I want to try it he wold write me a prescription but to make it clear he isn't telling me it's safe to take?!?!?

So I got the prescription been prescribed 15mg tablets of codeine to be taken twice a day smile I so hope it works sad I took a tablet about half a hour ago .... Fingers crossed I start to feel it! Xxxxx

Larty74 Thu 13-Feb-14 22:56:56

Please ask your gp or consultant for codeine! I was reluctant for so many weeks, but gp,actually talked me into it. and as well as helping with the pain, my whole body has relaxed a bit which allows you to physically and mentally do go about life somewhat tnormally. It might take a couple of days to figure out what dosage works for you, but ive managed to find a good combination of codeine/paracetemol.

rightsaidfred Thu 13-Feb-14 23:19:05

mummie-I hope it works and you get some sleep tonight. And well done for standing your ground at the GP

mummie2b1987 Fri 14-Feb-14 07:40:39

Aw thanks rightsaidfred smile Larty am I still ok to take paracetamol aswell? Xxx

Budgiez Fri 14-Feb-14 09:48:32

Hi there, I share your pain. I am 41 weeks now and the SPD is making me nuts. But one thing that helped a little was advice on how to move, what not to do etc. I found this website very useful and hope it may of some help to you too. It is:

www.pelvicpartnership.org.uk/

Also I was told to take Co-Codamol a mix of Codeine and paracetamol. Really hope you start to feel better soon it is miserable.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now