Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Help please! Anyone had balloon/Foley catheter induction for VBAC?

(7 Posts)
Roastbeefandyorkshires Tue 11-Feb-14 15:11:35

I'm 40 weeks today and due to see consultant tomorrow to discuss options. He's not comfortable waiting for me to go into labour spontaneously and we have briefly discussed balloon induction or repeat c-section. Has anyone experienced this type of induction and how was it for you?
Thanks

Roastbeefandyorkshires Tue 11-Feb-14 17:35:52

Anyone please??

SaggyOldClothCatPuss Tue 11-Feb-14 21:34:07

I've never heard of it! What does it entail? Are you in the UK?

SaggyOldClothCatPuss Tue 11-Feb-14 21:35:13

Why doesn't the consultant want you to go spontaneously and what does he have against normal induction?

Roastbeefandyorkshires Wed 12-Feb-14 05:32:25

Yes I'm in the UK. It's the same catheter they use to drain the bladder but instead put it in the cervix to dilate it without the use if drugs. Their policy is not to induce with drugs for vbac. Baby's growth is slowing down so consultant is getting twitchy...hmm

SaggyOldClothCatPuss Wed 12-Feb-14 08:22:43

Well I went and did some googling. There was some pretty interesting stuff! It seems to be quite a safe option. Because there is no drugs used there's little chance of hyperstimulating the uterus. which I suppose is a very good thing in a vbac.
You learn something new every day! Good luck. x

Roastbeefandyorkshires Wed 12-Feb-14 08:47:02

Thankssmile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now