Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

obstetric cholestasis

(13 Posts)
accol Tue 11-Feb-14 12:42:01

Hi all, just after some advice please. I am 10 weeks pregnant and since about 6 weeks have suffered with really bad itching. I have suffered with eczema for years and just assumed it was that but I have not had it this bad for ages.

I have read that it usually develops later in pregnancy but combined with some other symptoms I am having, it concerns me a little.

I had my booking appt yesterday and only mentioned pain I am getting but not the itching.

Does anyone have any experience of this?

PeterParkerSays Tue 11-Feb-14 12:47:53

I do, but not until later on in pregnancy. Could you call your community midwife and ask for advice?

accol Tue 11-Feb-14 12:55:15

I think I will, just thought they might think I was being a bit OTT seeing as I am early on?

LittleTownOfBOOTHSlehem Tue 11-Feb-14 13:00:58

It won't be cholestasis as it's too early, more likely to be dermatitis, or just pregnancy hormones, I'd see your gp if it's bad and not settling

LittleTownOfBOOTHSlehem Tue 11-Feb-14 13:01:46

Is the itching anywhere in particular? Or generalised?

accol Tue 11-Feb-14 13:06:01

Its on my legs, arms, face and back. Just doesnt seem to be going!

ChicaMomma Tue 11-Feb-14 14:24:51

Accol, i had this in the early weeks also. My midwife said some people get this from taking Pregnacare tablets, so i came off them- lo and behold the itching went away, almost overnight.. Since then i've been taking Solgar Folic acid, Vit D, Iron and B complex (all separate supplements so costing more) instead, no issues. Worth a try- if of course you're taking Pregnacare, you may not be.

accol Tue 11-Feb-14 16:12:59

How strange! I'm not taking Pregnacare but another combined vitamin which I also took in my first pregnancy. May be worth a change though! Anything to make it stop!!

Inglori0us Tue 11-Feb-14 16:39:32

Cholastasis itching usually presents on palms and feet.
Do mention it at your next appt if you're still suffering.
Pregnancy hormones can change your skin sensitivity so try using sensitive toiletries (baby products are perfect) and switch to a sensitive non bio washing powder to see if that improves the symptoms.

ChicaMomma Tue 11-Feb-14 16:39:37

Yeah i'd stop taking it and see if it improves.. just get yourself some Folate and Vit D instead... some people say these are the only absolute necessary ones. I'm 22 weeks now, and i take pregnacare every second day (as i had stock piled them!!) and then Folate/vitD the other days.. seems to be working OK, there must have been something in the Pregnacare that was causing the itch. See how you get on. And make sure you're drinking a rake of water to flush your system out too.

accol Tue 11-Feb-14 18:07:33

Thanks for your advice. I shall give it a go. Hopefully it works!

Tomkat79 Tue 11-Feb-14 18:22:22

Agree with chica the multi vit I was on made me itch and also upset my tum really badly.

My legs and back still bear the scars of the itching. Went away totally at about 13 weeks.

Slh122 Tue 11-Feb-14 18:38:40

I have eczema and it flared up really bad in my pregnancy. I asked my GP around 12 weeks if the itching could be OC and she said it doesn't happen until later on in pregnancy. I found Aveeno really soothed my itchy skin.
Give your MW a ring if you're concerned though. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now