Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Can I go to a spa in the first trimester of pg?

(6 Posts)
wigwam33 Tue 11-Feb-14 12:17:27

Sorry for my ignorance but I'm not a regular spa-goer and not sure if it's OK or not. I've had a girly spa date booked in with my best friend for a while now but last week found out I was pg (haven't told anyone except for OH). I'll be 7 weeks when we're due to go to the spa. It will be a hot steam room and plunge pool type affair. Not planning any massages etc. Is it OK to go or should I cry off / try and rearrange to do something else?

nc060 Tue 11-Feb-14 12:26:22

Steam rooms at any time of pregnancy are a bad idea as whilst you are able to regulate your body temperature baby is not and could overheat with potentially dangerous effects. I would cry off or see if it is possible to change to massages or something? x

spacegirl81 Tue 11-Feb-14 12:28:50

You won't be able to use the steam room, sauna etc as it raises your core body temperature/blood pressure which isn't advisable during pregnancy. They won't be able to do massage etc either sad

I was about 7/8 weeks and went on one without really checking but had to disclose pregnancy and I was able to swim and have facial and manicure instead.

smile

KatAndKit Tue 11-Feb-14 12:40:40

No steam room, no sauna, hot tub not recommended either and most therapists will not do massages in first trimester either. If you are trying to keep it a secret it will be very hard to do on a spa weekend! I would cry off personally.

wigwam33 Tue 11-Feb-14 14:12:16

Thanks all for your advice. I was afraid you would say that, but it's better to know now. I'll have a think about whether or not to tell her or just cry off.

ChicaMomma Tue 11-Feb-14 14:16:57

I went a few times during the first trimester- but mainly just used pool/relaxation area/got a facial. You definitely cant go into a sauna or a steam room, unless it's 35'c or less, which is unlikely. I still enjoyed reading magazines and chilling out though. In your case i'd just go, and tell your friend- i told quite a few people v close to me in the early days and have no regrets.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now