Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

34 weeks growth scan below bottom line? help?

(12 Posts)
janmk Mon 10-Feb-14 21:17:23

Just had an awful afternoon. 3rd growth scan as baby was on the bottom line but has slipped just below so sent to assessment unit where I spent 4 hours in a cubicle with my mum and 20mo dd. Drs were busy and then in the end all I got was a garbled explanation of 3 appts I have over the coming weeks ( 2 x scan and 1 x consultant) from a receptionist or midwife asst( not actually sure who she was) as I wheeled my toddler up and down the corridor to appease her. Anyway apart from having been left fuming...and I will be putting a complaint in.....I was not properly told anything and know nothing about the likely consequences of baby being under the line and what exactly making me spend ages waiting for appts in hospital is likely to do to benefit me and baby other than make me more angry. Is anyone else in this position? Have you had a decent explanation? Do I really need to be scanned regularly??

Tomkat79 Mon 10-Feb-14 21:19:59

Sorry, have no answers as my bubba well and truly over the line (!) but crap that you've been treated badly.

Write it all down whilst angry.

janmk Tue 11-Feb-14 07:54:49

i will thanks...x

Pinkbell123 Tue 11-Feb-14 07:58:17

Yes I think you of need regular scans. My baby is well over the line so not an expert on below the line (hopefully someone will be along soon) but I had to have multiple scans for excess growth. The consultant said it was because you need a trend and not just one measurement as there's no saying when your own baby will have a growth spurt as they are all different.

Good luck, sorry for your bad experience

janmk Tue 11-Feb-14 08:07:11

Thanks pinkbell.....i did my own googling research and have now convinced myself my baby has IUGR due to something i may have done .....You are right they should explain things.....or else we all jump to our own conclusions x

MrJollyLivesNextDoor Tue 11-Feb-14 08:18:11

Why don't you go and see your midwife, she should be able to explain about the scans you will be having and the implications involved.

Sorry to say this but it does seem as though you were a bit distracted when the information was given to you, maybe you could have asked them what their roles were and to clarify the information, and to explain it in more detail at the time?

It is annoying when you have to wait around for appointments/scans for ages with no explanations as to why, but perhaps the drs were called to attend an emergency/were short staffed at last minute/whatever.

I think getting angry and het up about it will do you no favours, you can't change what happened at your appointment - best to try and speak to the HCPs (GP, Midwife, HV, whoever) - and concentrate your energy on getting as much information as possible.

I'm not trying to be critical, just trying to give another perspective.

Good luck x

MotherOfNations Tue 11-Feb-14 08:22:00

I wad induced with ds1 because he was apparently dangerously small and stood a better chance of survival outside than in. He was 7lb 8. These scans are far from accurate.

janmk Tue 11-Feb-14 08:41:32

i am seeing mw today and am going with qtns. You were right i was distracted but delivering the information to me quick style in passing the receptiin desk was not appropriate . my mum was sat in the cubicle a few meters away and i feel someone should have asked to speak to both of us there and actually expkain things properly.....i was fuming by that point anyway.

I asked the sonographers about scan accuracy and they said within10 pc but like motherofnations i have heard many examples of them being out by quite a bit. at the moment i wish i could opt for private care tho there seems to be not nuch about. had less than positive experiences with dd.

Roshbegosh Tue 11-Feb-14 08:45:04

Your baby will have to be monitored by growth measurements and Doppler now and they will be able to decide when the risk of early delivery is less than the risk of waiting.

guthriegirl Tue 11-Feb-14 08:53:07

Hi. Sorry you're going through this. I'm in a similar position. had a growth scan at 28 weeks. Baby well below the 10th centile so now have fortnightly scans to monitor growth. if they are not happy the monitor will become weekly and I may be induced early if necessary. I have been given no specific reason why this has happened. Could just be a small baby; could be placental issues due to my ' advanced maternal age'; could be indicative of a bigger issue. I'm trying to keep calm, eat well, rest as much as I can (though have a toddler and work full time) and see what happens. I went through a similar thing with my son but he was born on the small side of average and is thriving now. Hope you are treated better at your next appointment.

janmk Tue 11-Feb-14 09:01:29

thank you ladies....things are starting to become clearer. x

Roshbegosh Tue 11-Feb-14 09:16:46

Don't worry, this means they can step in as soon as there is any sign of distress. Baby being small can be ok, some people are small, or it could be a problem. Being monitored is what matters.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now