Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

What do I really need?

(7 Posts)
IsItSafeToDance Mon 10-Feb-14 13:57:48

Hello! Long time lurker, first time poster and in need of some advice because I'm beginning to get into a flap about things plan ahead!

Basically, what do I really really need for the first two months of having a baby?

I'm currently living in the USA (because of DH's work), and am due to have a baby out here in June before flying we're back to the UK 2 months later. So I'm keen not to overbuy on useless things like wipe warmers, but also wondering if we really need to buy a crib, as it'll be a pain in the bum to ship back (and I think we are inheriting one from family when we're back)

I've seen the excellent list of newborn essentials on MN, and have been asking friends their advice, and think I might be able to get away with just having the list below, does it look sensible, or am I a naive fool thinking we don't need to have a special bin for nappies?

- Carseat
- Moses Basket (somewhere for the baby to sleep - thinking Moses basket because cheaper and less hassle to leave/ take back than a crib)
- Clothes
- Nappies
- Baby toiletries
- Baby carrier or sling

Would I need a pushchair for 2 months? Or would a sling suffice? Or is getting a frame for the carseat a good option? We don't have a car out here and I mainly walk/ use public transport out here, but know I need a carseat to get the baby from hospital to home/ to the airport etc.

Any thoughts, tips advice very gratefully received!

PenguinsDontEatKale Mon 10-Feb-14 14:06:24

Your list is totally fine.

Why would you need a crib in the States if you have a moses basket?

I personally wouldn't buy a frame for the car seat as babies aren't meant to be in car seats for long periods. It is bad for their spine. I would be more inclined to have an actual pram and bring it back on the plane (check your airline's rules) if you find you want one. You might be totally fine for 2 months with just a sling though. Depends on lots of things, including whether your baby takes to it and also how late pregnancy/delivery goes (e.g. if you have trouble with your back, or a painful section scar or whatever).

No, you don't need a nappy bin. You don't really need any toiletries either - cotton wool, maybe a bit of nappy rash cream if needed. They don't need loads of powders and creams.

IsItSafeToDance Mon 10-Feb-14 14:13:37

Thankyou PenguinsDontEatKale! (I was only joking on the nappy bin - just out here, I'm seeing a lot of advice about what I'm told I really need, that I think is a bit silly, like the bin!)

Wasn't thinking about getting a moses basket and a crib, just wanted to check that a moses basket would be ok.

And thanks for your advice about the pram over carseat & stand! Very very much appreciated.

PenguinsDontEatKale Mon 10-Feb-14 14:18:00

I did kind of get that your were joking about the nappy bin. The wipe warmer comment gave you away grin

Yes, moses basket is fine. Even enormous babies tend to manage up to about 3 months in a moses basket (the main issue is when the baby literally gets too big for it). You will probably find you can move straight onto what the UK would call a cot (I think the US calls it a crib? In the UK a crib is smaller than a cot, roughly equivalent to a moses basket in terms of size of baby, maybe a bit bigger).

Most long distance flights are pretty good about including prams, or nominal charges (short haul is another matter!!) so I wouldn't let that be a massive issue for you.

Congratulations!

IsItSafeToDance Mon 10-Feb-14 14:21:21

Oh the crib/ cot thing! I've only been here a few months and my language has changed already! I did mean cot! blush
I must confess I have no idea how I'm going to manage with the whole diaper/ nappy thing when I'm exhausted with the baby. Maybe I'll need to write out an Anglo-American baby dictionary before the birth to help? grin

PenguinsDontEatKale Mon 10-Feb-14 14:42:24

As long as you don't get into the habit of saying fanny you'll be fine! grin

Fairypants Mon 10-Feb-14 20:30:47

Your list seems fine. I'd probably add a changing mat (not a table or anything, just the foam mat). They are cheap so can be chucked but using a travel one for 2 months will get old quick. Also a change bag for the flight if nothing else.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now