Talk

Advanced search

Anyone driving 2 weeks after planned c section?

(18 Posts)
Peacenquiet2 Sun 09-Feb-14 23:04:41

Im due a planned c section in 3 weeks and starting to panic slightly about recovery now. I will have help for a maximum of 2 weeks as my dp is self employed in the early days of starting up a new business and we cant physically afford for him to take any longer off. Then my mum can take a week off to help me out and after that ile be on my own all day every day.

I already have 2 dc who need taking to school and nursery which requires 3 journeys of there and back each day so rralistically i will have to be driving after 2 weeks or i cant get them there at all. I dont even have friends who live close by who can help with school drop offs, etc.

I was feeling confident about managing after the first couple of weeks but now im worrying that i might not find it as easy as all that so id love to hear from others who have been in similar situations and managed ok.

DPotter Sun 09-Feb-14 23:07:53

I drove about 2 weeks after my CS - felt more able to drive then than 2 weeks before delivery - could reach the steering wheel more easily for one thing. You do have to check with insurance company but I had no problem
best of luck

3girlsunder3 Sun 09-Feb-14 23:10:54

I drove 5 days after a planned section for twins, and was absolutely fine.

3girlsunder3 Sun 09-Feb-14 23:11:50

Hope all goes well fir you, Best of luck.

Peacenquiet2 Sun 09-Feb-14 23:27:39

Thanks for the quick replies ladies, thats so encouraging to hear! Im really hoping my insurers will be ok wih it. And thanks for the best wishes.

Bunbaker Sun 09-Feb-14 23:30:35

It depends entirely on what your doctor says and your insurance policy.

HauntedNoddyCar Sun 09-Feb-14 23:34:26

I had GP approval to drive at 3 weeks.

noblegiraffe Sun 09-Feb-14 23:34:58

I really didn't feel capable of driving until 6 weeks after my EMCS but after my ELCS I was fine to drive before two weeks. Unfortunately the hospital documentation recommended no driving for 6 weeks, so the insurers said they needed medical approval to drive before that. I went to the doc, he checked my scar, and asked how I felt about emergency stops. I said fine and he printed out a thing for my insurance to say it was ok.

poisonedbypen Sun 09-Feb-14 23:35:43

Your insurance company should be ok with it, but you have to see your GP for him to give the ok. Be prepared for the fact that he may think it is too soon (depends how you are healing).

AuditAngel Sun 09-Feb-14 23:46:01

I was driving 3 weeks after EMCS with DD2. With DD1 I felt ready 5 weeks after ELCS so waited until the 6 weeks was over.

WorriedMouse Mon 10-Feb-14 06:13:59

Driving will probably be ok but I wouldn't lift the car seat. I started driving after 4 weeks but had pain anytime I lifted the seat in and out. I ended up leaving the seat in the car and carrying the baby.

georgie22 Mon 10-Feb-14 06:24:21

I drove 3 weeks post ELCS but had to see my GP on the advice of my insurance company. I agree about not lifting the car seat though. I generally overdid things too early and had a wound infection that then slowed my recovery. Good luck.

meglet Mon 10-Feb-14 06:39:14

No, I wasn't in any state to drive 2 weeks after either cs, I waited 'til 6 weeks both times. It's a major op and while you may feel fine after 2 weeks, you won't have healed internally. After my first section (and a post birth debrief) I was told hospitals are basically crossing their fingers when they discharge women so soon after a section, there isn't some magic healing hormone that women have after a section that they don't have after other major abdominal surgery. Personally I'd get taxis for a couple of weeks.

Pumpkin567 Mon 10-Feb-14 06:47:31

I drove after 4 weeks, not far and it was really obvious why they tell you not to. It's very evident how much you use your stomach muscles to drive.

Don't lift the car seat they are terrible for a women after birth, carry the baby to the car.

Foxeym Mon 10-Feb-14 12:32:46

I drove 10-14 days after all 3 CS but I had to get my doctors approval for insurance.

Loopylouu Mon 10-Feb-14 12:50:42

I had to drive after 6 days. Ds was in scbu, I'd been discharged and was breastfeeding and wanted to be with him as much as possible. Couldn't afford taxis and would have had 3 bus changes to get to hospital, so I had no choice.
First week was hellish, but after that it was ok.

ChaffinchOfDoom Mon 10-Feb-14 12:51:48

you need to ring your insurance company and see what they say if you wish to drive before 6 weeks post op

DipDabDabDip Mon 10-Feb-14 12:57:51

Not quite the same but I'm 2 weeks in recovering from a laparotomy (similar cut to a c section) I don't feel able to drive yet and I don't have newborn sleep deprivation to contend with as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now