Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Cal intake whilst preg

(6 Posts)
SweetPea86 Sun 09-Feb-14 21:44:00

Making sure now my sickness is calming down rather than a diet of crisps.

I'm in my third tri and trying to make sure I eat healthy, it says I need 2000 cals then an extra 300 in last stages. But I'm struggling to eat 2000 I'm getting crippling heart burn even drinking water, and feeling full. If I had 1500 to 1800 I don't feel as full.

I'm over weight already but worry if I eat less I will damage baby. Had a lovely homemade roast with lots of veg and a casserole for tea and I'm sooooooo stuffed.

I'm not wanting to lose weight untill baby is born before any one says I am. I'm more concered I'm full and not wanting to eat as much as I should ( wow there's a first for every thing)

Any advice

TheScience Sun 09-Feb-14 22:51:53

What says you have to eat 2000 calories?

If you're overweight then you have plenty of stores for the baby - losing weight while pregnant through healthy eating is perfectly fine if you are overweight to start with.

Just eat when you're hungry, stop when you are full and don't worry about it.

SweetPea86 Sun 09-Feb-14 23:35:16

I was using 2000 as a guideline sorry meant to state that

BEEwitched Mon 10-Feb-14 08:22:47

I am constantly hungry at the moment but overweight so can't overindulge, I googled an online calculator to find out what my basal metabolic rate is while pregnant and I'm sticking to those calories. I actually seem to be losing a bit of weight on that.

I would say you're probably fine eating the amount that you are, if you feel you need to up your calorie intake just add a handful of nuts or seeds to your diet as they are healthy and calorific. Also eat smaller portions more often if you think you need more.

hubbahubster Mon 10-Feb-14 14:11:54

Babies are little parasites. They take what they need and you have to make do with what's left. So unless you're faint with hunger, I wouldn't worry.

BTW I found in the last tri that five small meals a day was a lot better than three bigger meals/a blow-out dinner as just didn't have the space in my tummy (and kept me going all day energy-wise too).

Snobble Mon 10-Feb-14 15:31:33

Im the same, im getting stuffed really easily! I can eat my lunch at 1pm & still be extremely full by dinner time! Heartburn prevents me from snacking so im left with few options.

Can't wait till i can eat like a normal person again smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now