Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Leg shaving/ hair removal in pregnancy

(15 Posts)
Plateofcrumbs Sun 09-Feb-14 14:30:48

Thinking ahead here but prompted by seeing it mentioned on other threads.

In late pregnancy, how impossible is it to shave your legs? I always shave, have never waxed, and am blessed/cursed with thick dark hair which means regular shaving in summer months (when I will be heavily pregnant) is normally essential.

If shaving is likely to be a challenge later on, am wondering if I should start getting into a waxing regime now ready for summer. Although I've equally heard horror stories about sensitivity to waxing during pregnancy too.

Help, I already can't bear the thought of having hairy monster legs!

Bootoyou2 Sun 09-Feb-14 14:34:57

More difficult but perfectly possible.

LastOneDancing Sun 09-Feb-14 14:41:33

Yeah, I'm 32 weeks with a massive nearly full term sized bump.

No problems - you might just have to sit on the side of the bath rather than balancing in the shower.

Pepperglitter Sun 09-Feb-14 14:44:30

I didn't find it any more difficult really. I did it in the shower and just put the leg I wanted to shave up against the wall where I could see it. I shaved down below daily too and had to do that by feel as I couldn't see anything there! but I think as long as you can feel smooth you don't really need to see!

luckiestgirlintheworld Sun 09-Feb-14 14:57:54

There's no way I could reach between my legs to shave - DH has had to learn that skill. And he's also getting quite handy at shaving my legs too.
So if you have anyone willing to help, that's what I'd suggest!

Innogen Sun 09-Feb-14 15:02:31

DH shaved mine.

FredFlintstonesSister Sun 09-Feb-14 15:02:35

38+1 and still shaving. Only difference is I have to lift my leg instead of bending forwards if you see what I mean. Still shaving bikini area too, but have no idea what it looks like! X

Plateofcrumbs Sun 09-Feb-14 16:58:49

Can't see me convincing DH to shave my legs on a near daily basis. But glad to hear some of you are sill shaving legs with large bumps.

Anyone recommend waxing instead?

sambababy Sun 09-Feb-14 17:18:48

I'm a waxer normally and have kept it up, but I will admit to it feeling a little more sensitive since becoming pregnant! I just say to myself, if you think this hurts now, good luck in 3 months lol

Penguinita Sun 09-Feb-14 17:21:53

Thanks for posting this question, I was wondering the same. Also does anyone know if hair removal cream is safe in the third trimester? Think I'm less likely to do myself a bikini line injury with cream than a razor blade!

Bearfrills Sun 09-Feb-14 22:25:15

I'm 39wks and did a rather impressive contortionist act in the bath last night trying to shave my legs, eventually got them smooth though smile

My bikini line has not been touched in months and there's a chance I'll need a section (aiming for a VBAC) so I need to sort it out myself - much better than a MW doing a dry shave with a disposable Bic <shudder> I've bought some Veet bikini hair removal cream. I'm going to get DH to help me (there's no mystery left in our marriage) and just need to decide whether to neaten it or remove it completely.

Hair removal cream is safe as far as I know, only a tiny bit is absorbed by the skin, just do a sensitivity test beforehand and don't exceed the time given on the packet.

whereisshe Sun 09-Feb-14 22:33:40

I had no problems reaching my legs / feet even at 41 weeks, although just to wash them - I outsourced waxing to the beautician! I could still cut my toenails and do up shoelaces too, although it was a bit of a struggle. Waxing didn't hurt more than it does when I have my period, which isn't noticeably more than normal. But I've been waxing for a while so I'm used to it.

fruitpastille Sun 09-Feb-14 23:39:39

If it's any comfort mine is growing much more slowly than usual! Btw for section they only shave a narrow strip where the incision takes place, so not too bad!

HopeS01 Mon 10-Feb-14 00:08:24

I'm overdue now and still shaving (legs and between) Finding it more difficult than I did without a bump but it's possible!

Bearfrills Mon 10-Feb-14 07:54:58

I think it depends on the hospital and the MW, when I had DD (EMCS) they shaved the lot off, dry, I don't know which was worse - the post-CS recovery or the ingrown hairs from the worlds worst shave!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: