Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

When should I start packing hospital bag?

(23 Posts)
KLou1105 Sun 09-Feb-14 14:28:06

When did you all pack ur hospital bag? Or when are u planning too? I'm 32+4. I was planning on starting to pack at 34weeks when I go on maternity leave but been to antenatal classes the last few weeks and doing my birth plan at 33weeks I feel like maybe I should start sooner?! X

FredFlintstonesSister Sun 09-Feb-14 15:10:45

I posted last week about what on earth should go into my hospital bag. I've just finished packing it now at 38 weeks but had most of it together by about 37+3. My thinking was that if I had to go in sooner than 37 weeks it would be more of an emergency type situation anyway and the things I would need would be different. I hate packing though and would have used any excuse to put it off! If you want to pack now then go for it!

MummyPig24 Sun 09-Feb-14 17:16:07

I'm 35 weeks and I have had mostly everything packed for about 2 weeks. I need a few more things though which I will get in the next few weeks.

boopdoop Sun 09-Feb-14 17:25:44

I am 36+4 and trying to summon up the energy to pack it today! Got most of it but all in random places around the house... And feeling a bit like I should have done it by now, even though there are no signs of anything happening yet!

ClearlyMoo Sun 09-Feb-14 17:26:57

I'm only 27 weeks, no reason to believe that baby will come early but some people do have babies THAT prematurely, and a girl in my NCT class has already been rushed to hospital with contractions twice and said "pack your bags just in case". Since DH and I were going away for 4 nights this week I threw all the stuff I had been collecting into a (hospital) bag and stuffed in car boot... I know it's ridiculously early but I like to be organised. I've now got 11-15 weeks to perfect the contents!

juju283 Sun 09-Feb-14 17:29:22

I'm 38 weeks 2 days and still havent done mine!

SweetPea86 Sun 09-Feb-14 17:36:38

I'm so unorganised since becoming preg I'll be packing as my waters break lol

Tea1Sugar Sun 09-Feb-14 17:41:19

I'm 29+5 I've got pretty much everything to take with me (other than the actual bag to pack the contents!) but it's all scattered around the house. I'll sort it next month...

greentshirt Sun 09-Feb-14 17:48:11

I've thrown a few toiletries that I got for xmas in a bag but not got much further than that yet. Have read loads of threads about what to take so hoping I can do it with a trolley dash round boots. I was planning on leaving mine until I finish work at 35 weeks, mainly so im not bored at home and have a legitimate reason to shop!

Cookiepants Sun 09-Feb-14 17:54:09

My mum did mine when I was 40+2! I was a hugely unreasonable pregnant lady who had decided that packing the bag meant I would NEVER go into labour grin. DS eventually arrived at 40 + 6 after a three day labour - so maybe the bag set things off after all.

Disclaimer - I live a 5 min drive from hospital so anything I needed would have been easy to get iyswim.

PervyMuskrat Sun 09-Feb-14 17:58:03

I had a bag packed for me last time from 2nd trimester onwards but I did have a few overnight stays due to bleeding and chest pains. The baby's bag was packed from about 32 weeks as I became pretty paranoid after my own stays even though we're only a couple of miles from the hospital!

This time round I'm only 14 weeks but am carrying round my notes, kindle and charger in the boot of the car in case of any unexpected hospital visits...

givemeaclue Sun 09-Feb-14 17:59:21

24. Weeks

mummie2b1987 Sun 09-Feb-14 18:01:47

I'm 37+3 and I have had mine done since 34 weeks! Xxx

SaucyJack Sun 09-Feb-14 18:23:11

37+4 and I've done some of it.

I'm too tight to buy "spare" jim-jams and toiletries just to sit unused in a bag for two months so I'll do them at them last minute.

MissCalamity Sun 09-Feb-14 18:55:28

I've not even thought about it as yet (29+1)

I've got a few bits & bobs but probably wasn't going to do it until March at the very earliest, God it feels a bit too real thinking about that!

Mummytobe2014 Sun 09-Feb-14 20:00:05

Im 36 weeks and have thought about it and made a list but no packing yet!

Legalbaby79 Sun 09-Feb-14 20:32:58

If I pack my bag that means its all too real , my mum keeps nagging me to do it and buying mammoth sanitary towels ... Shudder

MummyPig24 Sun 09-Feb-14 20:35:03

My last labour was fast (although overdue) and my first baby was early so I have packed in case this one is early or we need to leave quickly.

sittingbythepoolwithenzo Sun 09-Feb-14 20:38:17

Ds2, I planned to pack it at 36 weeks, the day after my growth scan. Ds decided to arrive in the early hours of that day, and I didn't even have a nappy ready.

Lozcat86 Sun 09-Feb-14 20:45:19

I had my DD 15 weeks ago. After a routine midwife appointment at 36+5 I got rushed into hospital with pre eclampsia and had my DD by emergency c section at 37+2, I was really glad I had mine and DD bags packed ready to go so I could grab them without worrying about it.
IMO the sooner the better x

mrsmugoo Sun 09-Feb-14 21:57:23

Gonna do mine next week - 35 weeks

Cariad007 Sun 09-Feb-14 22:11:40

I'm due next Sat so really have to get around to bag packing! I have most things - just need a couple of nighties and huge pants from Primani. I bought maternity pads at the weekend and bloody hell, they're like what my mum must've worn in the 70s!

Yummiliscious Mon 10-Feb-14 00:35:03

I am 38 weeks and have a half empty (half full?) bag! It will get done eventually!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now