Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Hiccups

(8 Posts)
highlove Sat 08-Feb-14 17:07:49

Possible silly question, but what's your experience of baby having hiccups in the late stages of pregnancy? I'm almost 36 weeks and baby gets them a lot - three times now today. I've seen some suggestion - all on US sites which I find tend to be a bit more scary - that they can be a sign of cord problems if they are more than a few times a week in the third trimester.. Had anyone actually heard that from a healthcare professional? Or had a very hiccupy baby who arrived fine?

I had a scan, including cord check, on Monday and all was fine but have scared myself a bit.

CaurnieBred Sat 08-Feb-14 17:12:08

DD was very hiccupy and she came out fine. I used to press my belly against DH so he could feel them too. She did have hiccups the night she was born which I panicked a bit over, only to be more or less told by the night shift nurses to calm down, they will pass.

highlove Sat 08-Feb-14 17:43:59

That's reassuring thanks.

comfyonesie2 Sat 08-Feb-14 18:26:49

My two children were really hiccupy in the womb and both were fine. This baby is the same, it never occurred to me to worry, it's just the baby swallowing amniotic fluid and getting it's diaphragm ready for when it's born, I think!

BartBaby Sat 08-Feb-14 22:52:36

My ds used to have hiccups 3 or 4 times a day sometimes and he came out fine. He didnt even get them that much after he was born. I'm 32 weeks now with dc2 and she gets them often aswell. Some days not so much, sometimes 4 times a day. Again it never occured to me that this is a problem?

KatharineClover Sat 08-Feb-14 23:06:10

DS used to get hiccups often - 3-4 times a day. He was quite hiccupy as a newborn too. No cord problems during delivery x

IHaveSeenMyHat Sat 08-Feb-14 23:26:25

My DD was incredibly hiccupy (up to seven bouts a day) all the way through the third trimester. I too read the cord progression stuff and was worried. She was just hiccupy, had them within two hours of birth!

She was a very hiccupy baby, and now at 2.5 still gets them but MUCH less than she used to.

highlove Sat 08-Feb-14 23:57:10

Thanks all. A quick update - hiccups started up again and I was worried so I called the midwife. She wasn't sure so went and asked the registrar who apparently said that's it's unusual but yes, excessive hiccuping can sometimes be a sign of a problem. (Although usually it won't be.) But to be on the safe side they wanted me to go in for a trace. All looked perfect on that and movements are normal so they're not concerned and unless something changes, no need for follow-up. Phew.

Thanks all for your responses though - I guess I've just got a hiccupy baby.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now