Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

how soon can I start exercising after birth?

(15 Posts)
mixi82 Sat 08-Feb-14 12:18:09

I was a keen snowboarder, skater and ice hockey player before I got pregnant. I'm not due til July but just wondering how soon I can start these sports again? Of course I know with C-section it'll be a lot longer than normal birth, but I've been watching The Jump on tv last week and one lady on there was back on skis after a few weeks!!!

antiabz Sat 08-Feb-14 12:26:53

grin

I'd wait until after the birth and see how you feel op.

MissCalamity Sat 08-Feb-14 12:39:17

I second what antiabz says, you never know how you're going to feel.

With DS I was back exercising after my 6 week check up (and I cried as I was so out of practice!!)

I'm hoping to do the same with DC2; but know it may not be so straight forward this time round!

Shellywelly1973 Sat 08-Feb-14 16:58:16

I gave birth 5 days ago. I feel fine but no complications. No heavy bleeding. No stitches. Very easy going baby...

But I get tired much quicker then normal. Just go with the flow & you'll be back to normal before you know it!

bluebeanie Sat 08-Feb-14 17:25:56

I was back at the gym by 5 weeks, but taking it slow. I only really went full out at about 12 weeks (and I was a hard core gym bunny before pregnancy and pretty active throughout).

A short walk was too much at 4 days. I remember nipping out to do some shopping at 2 weeks and coming home shattered.

Everyone's different, just listen to your body.

Rockchick1984 Sat 08-Feb-14 18:38:26

I still felt like my bits were going to fall out by 6 weeks grin I started doing some walking etc at that stage but nothing too major.

Have suffered from SPD this pregnancy, physio has advised me to do nothing but pelvic floors for a month after the birth, specific postnatal exercises for the next 2 months, and not to resume going to the gym or normal exercise classes until 3 months post partum, so I think you just have to see how your pregnancy goes and how you feel after the birth.

PenguinsDontEatKale Sat 08-Feb-14 19:05:10

It is a real ' how long is a piece of string' question OP.

Elfina Sat 08-Feb-14 19:07:38

I went for a run 6 weeks pp and I gave myself a prolapse hmm the best thing you can do now and after birth are pelvic floor exercises. Apparently a really high percentage of women aren't doing them correctly, so make sure you're doing it right!

Cariad007 Sat 08-Feb-14 19:25:42

Congrats on the baby Shelly - hope you got the birth you wanted.

BikeRunSki Sat 08-Feb-14 20:01:36

Both my babies were born by c section. With the first I was walking several miles a day within a fortnight, swimming a mile at 6 weeks post partum and running at 10 weeks. Second baby it took 9 weeks to stand up straight.

LavenderFox Sat 08-Feb-14 20:53:45

Pelvic floor exercises 24h after birth regardless of the type of delivery, after a normal birth walking is fine as soon as you feel ok, gradual increase in activity once bleeding stops. No heavy abdominal exercise like sit-ups until aftercheck at 6 weeks has confirmed your pelvic floor can take it and that your muscles are firm enough to withstand increase in abdominal pressure. Doing too much too soon risks uterine prolapse, worsening of gap in diastasis recti (the gap that opens up in the middle of your tummy muscles to make room for bump) and strains and injuries because the relaxing hormones of pregnancy are still present for a while. Back pain blamed on epidural for example can be the mum dragging the buggy up the stairs in the tube before her back muscles and ligaments are firm enough to take the strain.

After a caesarean no exercise or heavy activity for six weeks and then phase into it slowly according to the individual advice you have been given.

SaucyJack Sat 08-Feb-14 20:55:32

Massive congratulations Shelly thanks

plentyofsoap Sat 08-Feb-14 22:42:12

Same as Bike, I was fine after my first c section and back in the gym by 6 weeks. My fitness level was very good before my second c section but it has taken twice as long to recover.
Pilates is excellent to start with. I was told to avoid weights though. It makes a big difference if you are fit before hand. Good luck smile

tomatoplantproject Sat 08-Feb-14 22:52:18

I was v fit before pregnancy but spd put paid to doing any exercise at all during pregnancy. Had a cs and was going for nice walks at 8 weeks. At 12 weeks pp my back went and my pelvic pain recurred - I took up yoga and Pilates and haven't looked back. I am still wary of running though.

I had assumed I would exercise all the way through pregnancy and sail through getting fit afterwards given how strong I was pre pregnancy - that clearly was naive. You just have to listen to your body.

AnythingNotEverything Sat 08-Feb-14 23:00:11

If you breastfeed you'll also have the relaxin hormone in your system which keeps your joints relaxed. I'm holding off anything strenuous until stop bf as I feel too loose still.

I walk regularly with the pram but still get aches in my hips 15 weeks after birth.

Just take it steady OP - you won't know until you get there I'm afraid.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now