Talk

Advanced search

sickness - cyclizine

(18 Posts)
emark Sat 08-Feb-14 08:35:51

Hi, i am currently suffering hideous all day nausea and vomiting at least 3-4 times daily.
I am almost 14 weeks, doctor has prescribed cyclizine.
just wondering what other peoples experiences of taking cyclizine are ad the side effects seem awfulsad

SweetPea86 Sat 08-Feb-14 09:56:25

Hey Hun I feel your pain I took cyclinzine for about a month. Stupidly I didn't go to doctors earlier to get some tablets to help.

They did make a difference for me. They didn't stop sickness or nausea but it toned it down I was sick about 8 to 12 times a day and it took it down to 3-5 times, I find being sick first thing on a morning then taking the tablet was the best way I'd took them first thing and ended up throwing up.

Eat small regular meals with them rather than going hungry and eating a big meal.

I found they made my mouth very dry and I was sooooooo tierd all the time. Along with first trimester sleepyness I felt like a zombie and looking back after work all I did was sleep.

They did help me but unfortanly don't solve the problem

Drink plenty of water too

My sickness was from week 5 and calmed down by week 17 I'm not 31 weeks still throwing up but on,y on a morning and now and again evenings and were I had nausea 24/7 it's comes and goes now.

Fingers crossed it clears up for you have a happy pregnancy

emark Sat 08-Feb-14 10:32:48

thanks, yes they made my mouth unbelievably dry and excessively thirsty, also extreme tiredness, looked out for 3 hours then felt like a zombie for at least 24 hours
didn't feel they did much for the nausea and vomiting but the zombie state not helpful with 4 other children.
anyone suggest less drowsy alternatives to ask gp for??

BartBaby Sat 08-Feb-14 10:45:15

I had avomine for a while and then tries cyclizine for a few months. They didnt stop me feeling sick but stopped me actually being sick (apart from the occasional few times)

Avomine were worse for the tiredness!

Ihearthickson Sat 08-Feb-14 10:52:39

Cyclizine took the edge off my nausea but didn't cure it though. However I was happy to accept being very thirsty and exhausted, for this small improvement in how sick I felt.

SicknSpan Sat 08-Feb-14 12:15:05

For me the drowsiness wears off after a while of taking it daily- took 10 days or so in this pg I think (bit hazy though!)

Until then give into the snooze- you'll need it xxx

emark Sat 08-Feb-14 13:07:19

as much as i would dearly love to give into the drowsiness and simply sleep, leaving a 4 yr old the run if the house and sleeping through school run and or meal times are not really possible for me!
really wondering if there is any anti - emetics that do not causes severe dopiness ??

SweetPeaPods Sat 08-Feb-14 13:12:44

They also made every tired. I found half a tablet helped me. Really reduced the sickness and didn't make me as tired as a full tablet. Took a couple of weeks of taking them to really help though.
I'm pg again and taking half a tablet in morning to help nausea to try to keep sickness at bay.

MelanieRavenswood Sat 08-Feb-14 13:18:17

I took cyclizine for 3 months or so and the side effects never really improved. I never thought to ask for an alternative - I think it impaired my brain function! My sympathies and hope it clears up soon.

aroha77 Sat 08-Feb-14 20:17:12

Hiya,
I'm on promethazine and thought that was the first choice for morning sickness (but only from talking to my sister who's a medic). It's really helped my nausea and I've not had side effects. Dunno if that's helpful though!

HoneyDragon Sat 08-Feb-14 20:23:02

My hyperemisis got so bad they put me on Onansertron. Upside, I didn't get the knackeredness cyclizine causes. Downside, I don't think I did a poo for about 6 months.

HoneyDragon Sat 08-Feb-14 20:23:27

Ondansetron

LavenderFox Sat 08-Feb-14 20:34:53

I got virtually no side effects from it, was not tired in any way that would affect work and so on. Every drug has a huge list of potential effects but they are all pretty uncommon. I still did most of the other things like vitamin b6 and sickness bands.

RaRa1988 Sat 08-Feb-14 20:48:19

They wiped me out completely - I passed out after taking the first and wasn't back to myself for a good couple of days. The sickness went though - wonder if my body just needed enough of a rest to sort itself out?

Foodylicious Sun 09-Feb-14 05:59:41

Hi, i take promethazine and was really surprised that is helps sp much. Its prescribed in the evening so I take it when I go to bed. In the beginning I took it a bit before bed and for the first week or so it made me drowsy,but mu body must have got used to it. At the start (9weeks)it took my sickness down from 8 to 2-3 times a day with bits of nausea and gradually better. I tried a higher dose but the headache was too bad the next day. I had a headache every day for weeks but think it was just another fab part of pg. I am 22 weeks now and still taking them, have tried to stop but the nausea comes on really strong and suddenly and had led to voming and I can't face that again (had 6 weeks off work at the start). Good luck

SicknSpan Fri 14-Feb-14 08:33:33

For me the drowsiness wears off after a while of taking it daily- took 10 days or so in this pg I think (bit hazy though!)

Until then give into the snooze- you'll need it xxx

Meerka Fri 14-Feb-14 09:20:24

hiya

quite a few people find this with cyclizine, its actually an old-school anti-histamine and they did make people sleepy, hence the warnings about machinery.

cyclizine is usually the first - line treatment, often paired with vitamin B6. If its not working, or if its got side effects that are too heavy, there are definitely others.

Diclectin (made of antihistamine Doxylamine and B6 in slow release form)
Pyridoxone (vitamin B6)
Promethazine (an antihistamine, brand name Avomine)
Cyclizine (an antihistamine, brand name Valoid)
Prochlorperazine (brand name Stemetil)
Metoclopramide (brand name Maxolon)
Ondansetron (brand name Zofran)
Domperidone (brand name Motilium)
Prednisolone (this is a steroid)

Ondansetron and Prednisolone are pretty heavy (though safe!) and rarely prescribed first off. Usually the doctor sort of starts on cyclizine and then substitutes or adds others.

It's well worth going back to the doctor if you get heavy side effects and ask for something else. Some people find Stemetil very good.

The Governmental body NICE has published the guidelines for Best Practice that all doctors are supposed to follow, though sadly some dont. If you read up here it'll help you know what to discuss or ask for from the doctor. Reducing vomitting and nausea -is- one of the Best Practise goals, so you really are entitled to ask for more or different help!

good luck =)

Loopylouu Fri 14-Feb-14 10:29:24

I had cyclizine and vit b6 from 9 weeks.

Workeed wonders, although the first two weeks were hell. I was a tired, groggy zombie. Then I got used to it and all was ok.

Still had nausea if I didn't eat for more than two hours at a time but it wasn't the 24 hour puking like before.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now