Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

allergies in pregnancy

(10 Posts)
mummytobejuly2014 Fri 07-Feb-14 16:10:00

judt wondering if anyone has developed allergies in pregnancy. do they last the length of the pregnancy or longer? ive ate kiwi for years and ate them twice during pregnancy, both times I got a hot tingly itchy mouth and throat and couldnt finish eating them. the same thing happened with pineapple. will I be able to eat them again? will the baby have the allergy also? just curious

squizita Fri 07-Feb-14 16:17:56

It may well be sensitive gums. I never eat raw pineapple for that reason (burns my gums) and it's not a normal allergy so much as the enzymes/acids burning. As gums soften in pregnancy that could be the result?

mummytobejuly2014 Fri 07-Feb-14 16:32:48

my whole tongue and roof of mouth was on fire itching tingling even after id spat it out :s

Scotmum83 Fri 07-Feb-14 18:17:44

I have become allergic/intolerant (not sure which) to orange and black currant which was most annoying in early pregnancy coz all I wanted to drink was ribena! I'm hoping it will settle down after the baby is born. MW said it's really common to become more sensitive to food during pregnancy.

Secondtimesally Fri 07-Feb-14 22:53:15

I was just at the GP today and mentioned I have had a blocked nose/cold since the beginning of Jan. I am allergic to dust and dust mites and he said it could be that - allergies can become more acute during pregnancy.
My cousin developed an allergy to leather when she was pg - couldn't sit on her own sofa!!

mummytobejuly2014 Sat 08-Feb-14 09:48:10

ive had terrible sinuses since I found out I was preg. wake up every morning unable to breathe through my nose sad and sneezing all day and even in my sleep. drives OH bonkers wakening him up

softlysoftly Sat 08-Feb-14 09:52:49

Me! The Dr said I was an atopic nightmare, no idea what I was allergic to but permanently covered in hives with swollen eyes, got cellulitis due to allergy cracked skin and it triggered asthma. This was all in second pregnancy, nothing with my first.

She is 18 months now, all the allergies have gone apart from a mild hayfever and I still have asthma that will now stay with me forever.

Pregnant again (20 weeks) and so far I have sinus issues, asthma is worse and sneezing but no swelling or hives. Not looking forward to summer!

dramajustfollowsme Sat 08-Feb-14 10:07:34

I have become allergic to most shampoos, conditioners, soaps and showergels.
I was covered in hives until it wasn't one of them but all of them.confused
All products that I have used for years.
I'm terrified to get my hair coloured in case I have a similar reaction.
I've ended up using baby products with no scent.

mummytobejuly2014 Sat 08-Feb-14 16:00:44

drama sometimes products with SLS sodium laurel sulphate or something can cause this. its found in everything from toothpaste to shampoo

squizita Sat 08-Feb-14 22:24:58

Has anyone got a more sensitive tummy? I am normally able to eat really spicy food, but today I had some and it (temporarily) upset me - i.e. I had to go to the ladies sharpish. After which, fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now