Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Midwives don't have time to see me for 16 weeks check?

(12 Posts)
HeavenK76 Fri 07-Feb-14 15:39:49

So I phoned the midwife to book an appointment, they're too busy.
Adviced me to phone the community midwives to see if they can see me at home instead.
Phoned them and they said oh it's perfectly fine to see you at 18 weeks so just book the app you get at the surgery on the 28th of February which will make me 18+2
Is that fine or is it late??

mrsmugoo Fri 07-Feb-14 15:44:20

I wouldn't have thought it would make much difference, I don't remember anything being particularly time critical around 16/18 weeks.

PenguinsDontEatKale Fri 07-Feb-14 16:34:28

I was about to say it was bad from the thread title, but if they are seeing you at 18 weeks instead it will make no difference. I ended up having my 16 week appointment at 18 weeks for various reasons. It's no biggy.

lilyaldrin Fri 07-Feb-14 16:36:27

2 weeks late probably won't make any difference, but if you have concerns you can always make an appointment with your GP or practice nurse just to have your blood pressure and urine checked.

HeavenK76 Fri 07-Feb-14 16:41:01

Yeah it's actually a bit more concerning for me coz I've got chronic kidney disease and a lot of BHs since week 7, although this is my 7th baby so I could feel the BHs really early just coz I know how they feel.
So I'm more for regular check ups, instead of delaying them.
But guess I just have to wait bit longer.

Plateofcrumbs Fri 07-Feb-14 19:00:25

I just had my 16 week appointment with my GP - BP, dipstick, listen to bump - in and out in 5 mins. Can you get a GP appointment instead?

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Fri 07-Feb-14 19:06:07

Do they still take blood at 16 weeks?

I would think that 18 weeks will be fine though, I always had to book the next appointment as I left the surgery (my community midwife saw patients at the surgery) - or I wouldn't have got in.

It does seem odd for a hospital to be too busy to see you though. When I got to hospital only stage (about 22 weeks, due to health problems), if someone needed to be seen on a certain date they were just added to the list, whether there was an actual appointment slot free or not.

Only1scoop Fri 07-Feb-14 19:10:42

I wouldn't leave it.... but that's down to my recent personal experience. I'd see if dr can see you instead.

BEEwitched Fri 07-Feb-14 20:33:51

My appointment was supposed to be between 16-18 weeks, they don't even specify it has to be at exact 16 weeks anymore, here.

They only take blood at booking and at 28 weeks.

ImMarmite Fri 07-Feb-14 20:58:32

I feel very strongly that all women should be seen around the 16 week mark. There's a reason there ment to be booked & for that reason you should defo be seen!!!!

Panzee Fri 07-Feb-14 21:01:43

In my area we all get consultant appointments at 16 weeks, and the midwife starts at 20w. Could you try for a consultant appointment instead?

NannyKaren Sat 08-Feb-14 14:26:27

Hi HeavenK76, because of the Chronic Renal Disease, I would have thought you were someone who should have been made a priority and not put off because they were busy or two weeks later as you obviously have some anxieties. Can I suggest you call your Consultants secretary on Monday morning (call the hospital and the operator can put you through) explain your concerns and then something should be arranged.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now