Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Hypnobirthing

(16 Posts)
LucyB1 Fri 07-Feb-14 14:09:50

I have just been talking to a friend of mine about hypnobirthing. It really helped her and she got through labor with no pain relief. I'm not saying i will do this but i would like to use it so i can try to stay calm (which is against my personality as i am a real panickier!). Can anyone recommend any good books / cd's? or share any advise?

starrynight123 Fri 07-Feb-14 14:11:04

I second this request - am keen to either take a hypnobirthing course or buy books/cds, whatever - and am a panicker too!

Mishmashfamily Fri 07-Feb-14 14:21:34

Argh I can't find my book but m pretty sure it was just called hypno birthing and came with a cd.

Honestly I would nod off a few mins in to it!

It did help in the aspect of when things went a bit tits up after bring in the birthing pool, which was lovely by the way!, and I was waiting for an epidural , the pain of dd2 was fucking unbearable . I could of happily thrown my self out the window. Dd1 was much easier, quicker. I actually thought I was going to die! The hypno helped me really focus and calm myself down , breath and think of a lovely place (Cuba , first holiday with dp) if I didn't know how to do that at that time I honestly don't know what would have happened!

It was very dramatic - failure to progress leading to EMC!

ohmeohmyforgotlogin Fri 07-Feb-14 15:14:02

Various methods. Marie mongan one of main ones. Take a look at hypnobirthing YouTube channel, seeing is believing!

Thatsnotmyfigure Fri 07-Feb-14 15:43:46

Just the natal hypnotherapy CD and textbook kept my calm and in control. And a lovely way to have 15 mins relaxation. Natal hypnotherapy is the UK version. If you search on mumsnet there was a recent thread that was v good re the benefits

wowsaidtheowl Fri 07-Feb-14 19:33:55

I did it and it was amazing! It wasn't pain free but definitely manageable. We did a course with a midwife and practised for the last 10 weeks. Definitely something to do with your partner - I could never have done it on the day without him. I'm someone with a pretty low pain threshold so if I can do it anyone can! Watch some videos on YouTube for inspiration!

ecofreckle Fri 07-Feb-14 19:42:50

we did a six week course, the mongon method and book. I am a very anxious person and was dreading childbirth, despite the hypnotherapy and daily practice for last few weeks. I went on to have manageable, drug free, calm home birth and surprised myself. I had dh and bf there to support, bf had had a home birth herself. Having a recent mother and hypnobirthing really did help me. The main thing was it gave me confidence and knowledge about my body. Good luck op!

Cariad007 Fri 07-Feb-14 19:57:35

For a moment ecofreckle I thought bf referred to boyfriend!!

I've done a natal hypnotherapy workshop and have the book and CD which I listen to every night. It's definitely relaxed me but I'll wait to see how my birth goes before I pass final judgement! It did help bring my blood pressure and baby's heart rate down a couple of weeks ago when both were elevated and I had to be monitored at the hospital for a bit.

ecofreckle Fri 07-Feb-14 20:20:35

cariad now that would have given me a reason to be anxious!

Turquoiseblue Fri 07-Feb-14 20:26:35

I found hyponbirthing useful though I still felt the pain of labour! It was really useful for me to stay calm in the lead up to labour and afterwards when breast feeding and coping with curing baby and slwepless nights. During the labour I found it helped me remain focused and energised though I got sick of listening to the dc a I think the effect carried over. My dd is wonderfully calm too - defiantly less cortisol and stress and more endorphins than compared to previous pregnancies.

Snowlet Fri 07-Feb-14 21:37:34

We're booked onto a Hypnobirthing course, takes place over two Saturdays, they cover all the mantras and ways to manage discomfort, but apparently also teach your birth partner soft touch massage and other techniques to help and support. We're paying £275 (including all materials) but considering we almost hired a doula, that's pretty cheap as an alternative! I want DP to be actively involved and we decided he is all I'd need.

I'm not booked on the course until 35 weeks (timing issues, too many weddings!) so I'm hoping that's enough time. We're picking up the DVD and book early to start practicing.

There are some gorgeous hypnobirth videos on youtube, but be warned, if you're anything like me (crazy pregnancy hormonal) they will all make you cry!

biscuitdunkerette Fri 07-Feb-14 21:44:54

HypnoBirthing helped massively with both my labours. Helped me stay calm and gave me a toolbox of techniques to fall back on. It brought my DH into the experience and it was a team effort sounds cheesy, I know

I've now trained in teaching HypnoBirthing and I love seeing the difference it makes to couples, during pregnancy, and hearing about the positive effect in labour. The key is to practise the breathing and techniques so it becomes second nature.

There are lots of aspects to it, including understanding the process of labour, and how to work best with the medical staff.

<sorry, evangelical!>

TwentyTinyToes Fri 07-Feb-14 21:46:08

Hypnobirthing is ace, i used it for both my births, DS was entirely intervention and pain relief free and the pool and my breathing was enough. I was induced with DD, constant monitoring and on my back the entire time but the hypnobirthing (and a bit of gas and air) got me through. I can't recommend it enough. It is lovely in late pregnancy to help you sleep too.

biscuitdunkerette Fri 07-Feb-14 21:46:23

The Mongan Method is the original and imo the best

DearDinah Fri 07-Feb-14 22:54:18

I was wavering over whether to book a course, thanks OP for starting this thread, I think I'm convinced (still scared!) lol

Strokethefurrywall Sat 08-Feb-14 03:12:43

I used Marie Mongan method here too - I live overseas and we don't have the hypnobirthing therapists here so I just read the book and listened to the CD.

Highly recommend the methods.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now