Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Gentle grumble + increasingly anxious about first pregnancy

(3 Posts)
starrynight123 Fri 07-Feb-14 13:28:27

I’m 12wks pregnant and I’ve been completely thrown by the range of changes and experiences I have had so far. Can you tell this is my first pregnancy?! I feel very naive even though I thought I’d done a fair bit of research into pregnancy and a little into childbirth, but clearly I was wrong!

Who knew I’d end up growing some form of proto-goatee and moustache - honestly, all of the sprouting was totally unexpected and I have to keep my tweezers handy for regular plucking.

Surprising amounts of hair randomly started coming out when I wash or brush my hair - I thought hair was supposed to become thick and glossy when you were pregnant??

But none of that compares with the hideousness of the morning sickness. I have a phobia of being sick (have needed years of therapy for this because it has affected so many areas of my life including travelling on buses, trains... eating... going out) and today is the 4 week anniversary of my ms. I’ve been sick at least once a day, every day and very, very nauseous the rest of the time so I haven’t been able to get out of the house never mind go to work (have been working from home). My GP is very supportive and I have metaclopramide which helps a bit.

I have my first midwife appointment on Sunday and first scan on Tuesday, but I’ve no idea how I’m going to make it to the hospital or get through it. I’m absolutely terrified.

I feel as though any excitement I had over the pregnancy has completely evaporated. I’m now just scared that I’ll feel sick for ever, never make it to any of my appointments and I can’t even bring myself to think about the birth. For the last 2 days, I haven’t even been able to touch my ‘bump’ even though I was happily rubbing it and talking to it before.

I don’t know if this is at all normal; it feels completely wrong and as though I’m an awful mother before I’ve even had the baby. I guess given how sick and horrible I feel, it’s not too surprising... I really hope it improves because I feel dreadful about it and am so unhappy. Lonely too, because I can’t get out and about and don’t want to have people over because I’m sick and nauseous so much.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is it just me??

Jess03 Fri 07-Feb-14 16:20:33

Hello, I'm 7 wks with dc2 and I understand, the ms is so bad (worse than with dd1) and I have thought several times today that this is a horrendous start and it's taken the edge off the excitement but it will get better and it is really all worth it. Hang in there. After your scan, start planning something to buy for the baby, get the excitement back. Oh and go out! Good preparation for having the baby, so what if you barf? Sitting dwelling and feeling awful is just going to make you feel worse.

ChicaMomma Fri 07-Feb-14 16:23:24

Well, on the upside, the nausea SHOULD start to subside very soon..

I'm losing hair at a rapid rate too- at least on my head- getting hairier on my chin!! but just keep plucking...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now