Talk

Advanced search

Are we supposed to tell our landlady?

(19 Posts)
VJONES1985 Fri 07-Feb-14 12:40:47

Is there a requirement that we tell our landlady that we're having a baby? We live in a large one bedroom flat and are planning to live there until the baby is a few months old. Our landlady is really nice but I don't know if this is something we have to tell her or not?

GoofyIsACow Fri 07-Feb-14 12:41:43

Nope, you dont have to tell them

Hoogally Fri 07-Feb-14 12:42:56

I wouldn't normally expect that to be information that your landlady would particularly need or be entitled to be notified of.

Is there something in your tenancy agreement or prior communications with her to cause you to wonder about this?

highlove Fri 07-Feb-14 12:43:42

Would depend on your contract which might require you to tell them if someone else comes to live with you.

PotteringAlong Fri 07-Feb-14 12:43:49

Does your tenancy agreement say no children?

SaucyJack Fri 07-Feb-14 12:44:01

Did the ad/blurb specify "no children" when you moved in?

VJONES1985 Fri 07-Feb-14 12:53:03

No, nothing said no children and we've had no issues with her before, I was just wondering because although I've always rented I've never had an extra person 'arrive' to live with me before.

CokeFan Fri 07-Feb-14 13:01:41

Usually not a problem unless it's another adult coming to live with you (or a place where you're not supposed to have children).

Might be nice to let her know though.

slightlyinsane Fri 07-Feb-14 13:10:32

Do not tell her yet. No matter how nice a landlady seems as soon as they have an inkling something might change ie you potentially moving out, they often change their attitude. A previous landlady I had was lovely until she found out I was expecting no3. She never asked when I was due but decided to give us our notice, incase we decided to move she wanted to be one step ahead of us. Landlords have to give 2 months notice you only have to give one. We received our notice when ds was 2 days old.
Im not sasaying this would happen to you but you never know. I didn't think it would happen to us and we had no intention of moving as the house was plenty big enough.

Iona1651 Fri 07-Feb-14 13:46:04

Hi. I'm a landlady of 3 houses and my brother is a landlord of 4. Neither of us would be particularly upset if a tenant had a baby, so long as the rent kept getting paid and the tenants were happy with the size of the house. My brother actually had a couple who moved into one of his 2 bedroomed houses and stayed for around 5 years. They only moved out because during that time they'd had 2 children, a boy and a girl and needed a 3 bedroomed house. My brother even considered building up into the loft for that extra bedroom for them if they were going to stay for a long time - considering the cost of the extra bedroom. I'd rather be told at some point, even if it is after the baby arrived. I bought my tenant a present when she had a baby, although I knew about it as she was pregnant when she moved in.

alicebear Fri 07-Feb-14 14:00:33

I was a landlady & had to give my tenants their 2 months notice as I needed to sell. When I informed them I discovered the lady was 7 months pregnant. I felt really awful that they had to move so late in her pregnancy & she had severe spd & was on crutches. I couldn't change my plans, I had to sell the house but if I'd known of the pregnancy I could have given them the chance to move earlier if they had wanted to.

Cariad007 Fri 07-Feb-14 14:13:19

I mentioned it to my landlady in passing when I rang her about something else and she was v happy for us. Tbh I only told her as our upstairs neighbour is a cantankerous old bat and may decide to ring her to complain about a crying baby! Our lease comes to an end in August and we shall move then as it's only a one bed flat. No point moving before that given that you're supposed to keep baby in with you for the first six months anyway.

Clargo55 Fri 07-Feb-14 14:16:24

We rent out a purpose built 1 bed flat and had to serve notice when tenant announced pregnancy. They were lovely tenants, but we had no option. We would be breaching our lease.

LemonDrizzleCake11 Fri 07-Feb-14 14:25:55

We were renting a 2 bed flat when I had my first son and had already been there a year.. We let the landlord know out of courtesy, did not expect it to be a problem but he made it clear he didn't want anything bigger than a baby in the flat, so in the end we mutually agreed to leave before son started walking.

Was a real PITA as we were looking to buy but hadn't yet managed to find anything, so ended up having to pay for the expense of agents fees, removals etc etc for what turned out to be 8 months in a different flat before we bought.

Was he legally entitled to do this? Not sure, but essentially he could have found an excuse to give notice so it was easier just to go with it. Would I tell him again? Again not sure, possibly not...

Iona1651 Fri 07-Feb-14 15:25:07

LemonDrizzle - is this classed as discrimination against toddlers ....???!!!

WillSingForCake Fri 07-Feb-14 15:32:39

We were living in rented accommodation when we had DD1, and I did inform our letting agency, as I'd remembered filling in a form when we first moved in where we had to specify how many adults/children would be living there, and I wanted them to have the right info in case they kicked up a fuss afterwards.

marzipanned Fri 07-Feb-14 17:11:03

Our contract says something along the lines of "nobody but marzipanned and immediately family may live in the property" so I didn't feel the need to tell landlord I was pregnant (until we got dry rot, but that's a whole other story smile )

I'm also a LL and would only expect my tenants to tell me if one of them was pregnant as we get along well and it would be lovely news!

Scotmum83 Fri 07-Feb-14 18:12:29

As a landlord I was a bit miffed to find out that our tenant went from being a couple with one child to a single mum with 3 kids... It effects our insurance for the house we rent out as the more kids per adult the higher the risk in the insurers eyes. As a tenant in a flat myself I'm not telling my landlord until nearer or after the birth but will tell them.

Patchwork88 Fri 07-Feb-14 18:50:42

I'm pretty sure that renting a property is something that is covered by the eqiality act 2010, so you can't discriminate against people with protected characteristics, pregnancy being one of them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now