Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Can anyone describe the delivery room to me?!

(10 Posts)
moomin35 Fri 07-Feb-14 09:25:29

Ok, weird quetion(!) - Am hoping for a relatively straightforward birth, water birth if possible. Can anyone explain what's in the room with me apart from the pool? Are the lights normal, bright, dimmed? Ive heard there may be a radio? What else is in there?

Gatorade Fri 07-Feb-14 09:26:44

I had two sections do I can't really help but I'll imagine it'll vary from hospital to hospital. You should be able to book a tour and then you'll be able to see it and ask questions.

SirChenjin Fri 07-Feb-14 09:30:21

In the room I delivered in (gave birth to all 3 in the same room over a space of 10 years!) there was a birthing pool, a bed, a chair and units around the room. Oh, and the glass cot thing. The lights could be as bright or as dim as needed - we had them on low throughout - and there was a CD player for music. I don't remember much about it tbh - too out of my face on gas and air!

Every hospital is different though, and you'll probably get a tour nearer your due date through your antenatal class.

EmB1715 Fri 07-Feb-14 10:35:59

My local hospital doesn't do tours now but you can watch a slideshow of photos online. My delivery room was very basic and small - bed, chair, cupboards, sink, equipment, birthing ball, curtain infront of door. I wanted a water birth but the MLU was closed. I couldn't care less though, baby was out within 3 hours of getting there!

MarvellousMechanicalMouseOrgan Fri 07-Feb-14 10:40:57

I can describe my delivery room, but it wasn't a water birth room.

White room about 15 feet by about 20 feet, with a hospital-type bed in it with stirrup attachments. Behind the head of the bed were sockets for things like the gas and air. There was a wooden door, and a plastic chair for DP, also one of those see through plastic cots. A large window.

It did feel very medical, not like the low-risk unit, which looked much more like a Premier Inn, all fake wood and low lighting. grin

cogitosum Fri 07-Feb-14 10:44:22

I didn't deliver in the water but labored in it.

There was the pool and a painted beach scene as a backdrop. There was a couch thing where they examined me and a ball. I also got out the pool and paced corridors a bit!

I don't remember lights being particularly dim or bright.

I gave birth in a delivery room as needed drip and that was a lot more medical.

I brought iPod and had music playing in both rooms.

Can you pm pictures as I'd be happy to send one.

ZingSweetApple Fri 07-Feb-14 10:46:32

you can ask your hospital to see ahead of time to reduce anxiety/prepare yourself mentally

enormouse Fri 07-Feb-14 10:54:19

I had both my boys in the same room in Antrim area hospital
It was large and spacious with plenty of room to move about. It had a bed and a chair and a little pull down station thing for the baby to be checked over. They also offered to bring me a birthing ball if I needed it. It had an ensuite shower/wet room shared with another delivery room for after the birth.

I also laboured in water but not in the birth pool (I was at risk of pph) but they let me stay in the bath till I was ready to push. That was just an enormous bath and toilet in a dimly lit room.

SaucyJack Fri 07-Feb-14 10:59:00

The room I had DD1 in was just a standard hospital-type room- tho it did have an en-suite which still had dried blood from the previous patient.

I had her at 11.30 am, so it was just normal daylight. No lowlights in sight either.

Not exactly 5*, but I think there was a radio tho.

cogitosum Fri 07-Feb-14 10:59:18

Some hospitals don't allow that zing. Mine didn't for hygiene reasons.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now