Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Did you hire a doula? How many weeks pregant were you when you booked her?

(8 Posts)
FirstTimeMom12 Thu 06-Feb-14 14:08:38

I want to hire the same doula I had for first DD birth.
Pregnant again 11 weeks now, but not sure when to book my doula. Shall I wait till after first scan to ensure all is good. Booking fee is non-refundable and a substantial amount.
When did you book your doula?

Jess03 Thu 06-Feb-14 14:22:46

Doulas are more of a us thing, I would book after the first scan personally, yes they may be booked but they'll probably be able to recommend someone else. I booked mine after the first scan.

LackaDAISYcal Thu 06-Feb-14 14:28:16

I had one with my DC3. I think I waited till after the first scan before booking her. I was hoping for a VBA2C, but all the HCPs I saw up to my scan were very scathing about my chances. As soon as I had had my scan I started looking for one and she was ultimately instrumental in getting me moved to a consultant who would support my wishes. If I hadn't booked her sooner rather than later, it would have been too late to get re-booked and get the support and information I needed to make an informed choice.

It was the best decision I made, as although things didn't work out quite as planned, all the decisions I needed to make throughout my labour were done with support and calmly and more importantly...MY choice!

MabelBee Thu 06-Feb-14 14:32:18

I seem to recall that the contract I signed with my Doula only came into effect at 38 or 39 weeks. Presumably then you can't really book too early. I'd go ahead so that it's in her diary.

PenguinsDontEatKale Thu 06-Feb-14 16:40:46

If you have had her before why don't you contact her now and ask if she can pencil you in and give you first refusal of anyone enquires about those dates in the meantime? Probably no one will and you can pay your deposit after the scan. Doulas are a very personal lot, I bet she would be able to suggest some arrangement and be understanding of not wanting to commit money before the first scan.

Mitchell2 Thu 06-Feb-14 18:31:49

I have booked a doula, enquirer and met at 18 weeks paid deposit after 21 week scan. My doula gets booked up really early so I would suggest the earlier the better.

AmandaCooper Thu 06-Feb-14 19:41:26

All the doulas I interviewed said they would refund in the event of a miscarriage. Are you sure the no refunds doesn't just mean if you change your mind?

ChazzerChaser Thu 06-Feb-14 19:43:59

Booked mine at only a few weeks. Definitely before the scans. Some women are supported by their doulas before they even conceive

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now