Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

What cosmetics, moisturisers etc are you using?

(23 Posts)
Pinkandwhite Thu 06-Feb-14 13:23:43

I'm 12 weeks pregnant and my skin is a mess! It's incredibly dry and my lips are cracked & sore :-(. I'd love to know what products other people are using in pregnancy particularly on your face. I used to use a moisturiser with an SPF but stopped because I read sunscreen is bad in pregnancy. I just need some decent new products. Please tell me what you're using?!

frannie2013 Thu 06-Feb-14 13:41:30

Hi,
i got terrible excema on my face for the first 4 weeks. it was horrid! i bought an organic, steroid free, cream from boots which was really good. can't remember the name of it now though. it wasn't cheap but wasn't really expensive (maybe about £8 - i would have pain anything to make the itching go away!). I've tried to go for the really simple, fragrance free, creams. usefully they are also pretty cheap! i've not heard that about SPFs though, so don't know about that. in the summer that will be tricky...
i have heard that hair removing creams are bad - anyone know if that is true?? i prefer them to shaving (and waxing!!) so that would be a pain - and my legs look terrible!!

livingzuid Thu 06-Feb-14 13:45:54

Korres on my face, all organic products. And you can't beat Eight Hour for chapped lips. And a cheap superdrug moisturiser round my tum area which I find very good. I have several pots and tubes of the stuff round the house and in my handbag. Really good for any skin irritants I get round my mouth sometimes as well.

livingzuid Thu 06-Feb-14 13:46:22

Several pots of eight hour that is!

Pinkandwhite Thu 06-Feb-14 13:54:43

Eight hour cream for chapped lips - thanks livingzuid! I'll look into korres too - I've never heard of it. Thanks for the tips.

Frannie - thanks for your tips too - v v helpful. I was also wondering about hair removal cream. I normally use it for my bikini area... I've read that it's fine but haven't used it because I'm such a worrier I'd only stress myself out. I've taken to using those razors with the built in shaving gel because I find them so much easier and better than shaving with separate gel.

In terms of SPFs, yes that's v tricky in summer - I can't figure out what you're supposed to do! Part of me thinks that it's a bit over the top not to use them.

livingzuid Thu 06-Feb-14 14:01:04

Korres is a Greek company I discovered them through house of Fraser but you can order their stuff online or through Amazon to get it a bit cheaper. Love their stuff it's beautiful and smells wonderful which my oversensitive pg nose is grateful for!

Pinkandwhite Thu 06-Feb-14 14:05:44

It looks really nice and the prices are decent too. Thanks for that!

Cariad007 Thu 06-Feb-14 14:31:42

Sunscreen is not bad for you in pregnancy. Just make sure you use a non-chemical one which has zinc oxide or titanium dioxide as the active ingredient.

Pinkandwhite Thu 06-Feb-14 15:20:17

Thanks cariad, that's really great to know. I could do without getting anymore wrinkles!

CaipirinhasAllRound Thu 06-Feb-14 16:19:53

I think our Waitrose sells Korres stuff if that helps

Pinkandwhite Thu 06-Feb-14 16:46:12

That's interesting caipirinhas, I'll check it out. I really do look gross at the moment and need something to help my skin out.

livingzuid Thu 06-Feb-14 17:09:30

Yes waitrose does! I forgot that. I don't live in the UK but last time I was home I saw it there. It was a bit more expensive though and didn't have the whole range but worth going for a play.

livingzuid Thu 06-Feb-14 17:11:26

Just read this to my MIL who recommended olive oil grin in all seriousness I've used it for a few skin issues and it worked brilliantly although I was tentative at first. There are recipes online for what to do and it is about as natural as you can get.

PenguinsDontEatKale Thu 06-Feb-14 17:29:42

I use Body Shop Body butter on my tummy and thighs. One of the ones for really dry skin. There is always an offer where you can get it for a fiver or so. I like it because it sinks in fast, so no waiting to get dressed.

MrsCharlieD Thu 06-Feb-14 17:59:03

Definitely agree on the 8 hour cream i use it for excema on my hands and prickly heat. For my face Im using clinique dramatically different moisturiser. I've used this for years and it's fragrance free and soothes my dry spotty skin.

Pinkandwhite Thu 06-Feb-14 22:56:20

I wondered about olive oil livingzuid. I can give that a go right now!

Penguins - I love those body shop mousturisers. I might get one of those.

MrsC - thanks for seconding 8 hour cream. My skin is also dry and spotty so I reckon it's worth the investment.

deelite72 Fri 07-Feb-14 13:10:24

Face: Decleor nutridivine (I buy online, it's so much cheaper). My skin is sooo dry and I love this cream. Ironically, I don't break out at all when I use Decleor.

Body: Avene Trixera

Lips: Korres lip balm is THE BEST

Hair: Timotei Pure shampoo & conditioner

My skin doesn't like heavily perfumed smells. I love the smell of balms and butters, particularly Body Shop's, but they tend to irritate me, esp in pregnancy.

kittygirl33 Fri 07-Feb-14 16:04:42

I'm 22 weeks and developed really bad dry skin on my face a couple of weeks ago. My skin is dry at the best of times, but it was actually painful. I was already using Lush's Ultrabland as a cleanser so went back there and got their British Nanny moisturizer. I found it worked brilliantly for me, and is also a lovely, natural product. Lush is always great at giving out samples of their products as well, if you want to give it a go.

Ilovekittyelise Sat 08-Feb-14 01:00:01

carmex on lips is brilliant - the one in the little squeezy tube from superdrug. lots of great flavours. huge sympathy on the dry lips here.

i second the body shop baby butter its amazing neverwaste it on an actual baby though.

Ilovekittyelise Sat 08-Feb-14 01:03:10

ps face just using usual: clinique facial soap oily skin formuka and dd different moisturising gel. body butter as above on hands. occitance footcream on feet but also on hands!

Ilovekittyelise Sat 08-Feb-14 01:03:23

occitane

hubbahubster Sat 08-Feb-14 17:48:42

Lush Dream Cream all over. I've got super sensitive skin this pregnancy and have terrible eczema round my eyes. This is the only thing that's fixed it - its major ingredient is oat milk. Anything oil based just makes me break out (and I usually have excellent if slightly dry skin).

And Carmex for my lips always ;)

Creamycoolerwithcream Sat 08-Feb-14 17:55:47

I have really sensitive skin and a lot of moisturisers give me red bits around the eyes. I use clinique soap, clarifying lotion and clinique superdefense moisturiser. I use nivea q10 at night which I really think helps with dryness and Vaseline on my lips. I take a multivitamin and mineral supplement arch day which I think is good for my skin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now