Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

having a 'babymoon'

(17 Posts)
aroha77 Thu 06-Feb-14 08:51:18

I've been trying to convince my husband we should have a nice weekend away (in the UK) pre-baby. Was gutted when I looked at the calendar last night and realised we don't both have a full free weekend for ages so I'd be about 35/36 weeks. Is that too late? Will I have gone off the idea by then and just wanna get the house sorted?
Thanks!

Pixielady83 Thu 06-Feb-14 09:12:48

I was 36 weeks last weekend and spent it on a lush mini break grin only an hour away from home (and therefore the hospital!) and just one night but it was fabulous, lots of lovely food, spa day, cosy inn. You could always wait til nearer the time and then book something depending on how you're feeling. I took my notes and had most of a hospital bag packed at home in case anything happened.

PenguinsDontEatKale Thu 06-Feb-14 09:21:34

I agree, probably the max journey I would have wanted to go for a weekend away would have been an hour or so. Travel can be uncomfortable and tiring by this point, and it is comforting to know that you can get back easily if you need to.

is there somewhere that kind of distance?

mrsmugoo Thu 06-Feb-14 09:33:47

Going on our babymoon this weekend - 35 weeks!

aroha77 Thu 06-Feb-14 10:36:56

Awesome thanks everyone!

hubbahubster Thu 06-Feb-14 11:32:08

Take whatever kind of break you can before LO arrives – even an overnighter about an hour away will be worth it. I found it uncomfortable to travel any more than that after about 28 weeks.

aroha77 Thu 06-Feb-14 13:39:57

I suddenly realised I don't know why I'm worrying about how far to go because the week after we're going to a wedding in the middle of nowhere in Norfolk (OH is best man)!!

aroha77 Thu 06-Feb-14 13:46:41

I suddenly realised I don't know why I'm worrying about how far to go because the week after we're going to a wedding in the middle of nowhere in Norfolk (OH is best man)!!

aroha77 Thu 06-Feb-14 13:46:53

aroha77 Thu 06-Feb-14 13:47:14

Sid77 Thu 06-Feb-14 13:54:55

Do it!! Go to the nicest hotel you can afford, eat lots of lovely food and SLEEP! Enjoy smile

bonkersLFDT20 Thu 06-Feb-14 13:55:44

We went away for the w/e when I was about 38 weeks with DS1. Took my notes and my hosp. bag and had a lovely time. I think the owner of the B&B was a bit alarmed when I told her I was nearly due (I wasn't very big).

It was over a 2 hour journey away, but I was fine (very easy pregnancy). Probably had to stop for the loo more frequently than usual, that's all.

DH wanted to go and look at bikes about 1 1/2 hrs drive away when I was 39 + 4 and getting 'is this it' niggles with DS2. We didn't do that!

GingerMaman Thu 06-Feb-14 13:57:48

Do it, do it, do it! I wish I had! This is from someone whose DH has spent the last 8 months in a seperate bedroom as Baby wakes up far too much (every hour or so recently).

icklekid Thu 06-Feb-14 14:43:52

Dh and I are going away for a week when I'm 33 weeks to devon so fair way away but is a beautiful little cottage, can not wait!

ClearlyMoo Thu 06-Feb-14 18:45:35

Writing this from babymoon. I'm on MN cos DH and I are having "tablet/iPhone time" right this minute. Chilling out on large king size bed in a 4 star hotel after a large breakfast, day wandering round castle (I stupidly manned up and did the 530 step climb to tower top!) next stop spa, then late dinner! I'm 26 weeks though so still not doing too badly, but reckon if it was just spa/chilling/food 36 weeks would be ok. I have got notes and basic hospital bag stuff just in case!

We've got two more nights after tonight. It's so nice spending time together!

Hope you get yours x

GingerMaman Thu 06-Feb-14 19:41:10

ClearlyMoo, sounds perfect, enjoy it! smile

mel0dy Thu 06-Feb-14 21:30:23

We're on definite austerity measures for the rest of the year so that we get rid of a few debts and have less outgoings once baby here but I'm definitely budgeting for at least a night or 2 away. Don't remember signing up to it but Amazon keep sending me "voucher deals" for 1 or 2 nights full board in proper foody hotels in The Lakes, North Wales and so on so that would be ideal! In conclusion, get it done, you deserve it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now