Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

can anyone explain to me .......

(19 Posts)
colleysmill Thu 06-Feb-14 07:27:08

....... why at a 36 week appointment I was weighed yesterday when I've not been weighed since 12 weeks?

Because when I asked what the clinical reasoning behind it was, the answer I was given was the blinding scientific answer:

"because we just do". Which, quite frankly, is no answer at all.

The upshot of being weighed was to then be told by one midwife that I'd not put very much on (i know this, I've mentioned it regularly at appointments and its not been documented) to then be told "so we are monitoring you with growth scans because of your high bmi?" (no because of medication which, whilst I do not expect everyone to read the doorstop of my medical record which would take forever, is quite clearly noted in my handheld antenatal record which is ever so easy to scan read)

Now I'm not against tests etc but what is the point of doing something without a good reason? and surely if they were going to do weight gain advice 36 weeks is too bloody late to start.

The worst thing is I know I'm ranting. And I'm probably being BU. I just can't help it so I'm ranting here rather than at the supervisor of midwives (who would probably think I was being an idiot)

Novia Thu 06-Feb-14 07:30:06

I think it depends where in the country you are as I was never weighed (and put on about 4 stone!) I'd just nod and smile...

OrangeMochaFrappucino Thu 06-Feb-14 07:32:11

I don't know and hope I don't get weighed at 36 weeks, I really don't want to know how much I''ve gained! Sounds a bit like it's after the horse has bolted at 36 weeks anyway - what can be done about it by then? And if you have gained a lot, how much of it is baby+placenta+fluid+breasts+blood anyway? It doesn't sound particularly helpful to me!

highlove Thu 06-Feb-14 07:32:32

Annoying it wasn't explained to you. I was told a weight check at 36 weeks was so they have a record of it in case you can't be weighed in labour for whatever reason but need to know your weight to administer drugs. Sounded plausible to be!

highlove Thu 06-Feb-14 07:33:16

*to me!

colleysmill Thu 06-Feb-14 07:38:11

What I'm really cross about is I just let her weigh me. Despite asking the question and not getting an answer.

I'm not normally a sheep but for some reason I just went along with it even though I didn't know why it was being done! What is the matter with me?!

colleysmill Thu 06-Feb-14 07:45:54

highlove now yes that does sound plausible. So why didnt she just say that?

I think my hormones are getting the better of me smile I then later had to push for my preferred birth option, again despite being asked at every appointment what I wanted this time round. At least that has now been absolutely agreed smile

Can you tell I'm not the easiest pregnant woman? Normally I'm very chilled out but pregnancy gives me the rage!

OrangeMochaFrappucino Thu 06-Feb-14 07:52:06

It is a plausible explanation but it didn't happen to me in my last pregnancy, I wasn't weighed at all after booking in at 12 weeks. Maybe it's a new policy or varies by postcode.

Pregnancy makes me cross as well!

Roshbegosh Thu 06-Feb-14 07:56:59

Calm down colley you are pregnant, not ill, and people trying to care for you don't need your rage. This is a trivial thing to get so annoyed about.

BettyOff Thu 06-Feb-14 08:08:03

The 36 week weight is used to calculate your risk of blood clots & whether you need DVT stockings +/- blood thinning drugs after giving birth and also for the drug doses for epidurals or a spinal if you ended up in theatre. It's nothing to do with monitoring weight gain because as you say it's far too late for that.

colleysmill Thu 06-Feb-14 08:44:51

rosh I didn't actually rage at anyone at all confused only here. I just asked a question (which I don't think was massively unreasonable) because I didn't understand why it was happening. I'm quite happy to have all tests going (and have done) I just like to know why.

I was perfectly polite - scouts honour. It's only today i have the rage grin

As I say Im normally very chilled out, but pregnancy just turns me into someone who gets worked up about the little things. But anyway not long to go now (and never again!)

redcaryellowcar Thu 06-Feb-14 08:51:54

i will soon be 36 weeks, i hate the idea of being weighed, i put on very little in first 20 weeks as was so sick, but have made up for the lack of early eating a bit too spectacularly, judging from very scary and quick jump in our home scales! rather hoping that most of it is baby placenta and water, but fear may have quite a bit to do once baby arrives in terms of weight loss!

Cakebaker35 Thu 06-Feb-14 08:55:16

It is to do with the amount if drugs / anaesthetic you may need should you spontaneously go into labour soon. Bit rubbish your midwife didn't know but try not to be annoyed, these things are done to help not annoy you.

Seff Thu 06-Feb-14 08:56:54

I don't remember being weighed at all in my first pregnancy. I have my 36 week appt next week, so will try and remember to report back!

learnasyougo Thu 06-Feb-14 08:57:44

as far as I know it's good practice and its to do with administering drugs, but I was never weighed at any appointment except the glucose test during my last pregnancy. I haven't gained much either time, but keep a track of it, so I could tell the midwife without needing to be weighed. 5.7kg gain so far at 32w.

Slainte Thu 06-Feb-14 09:03:21

I think it's for drug administration, especially if you need an anaesthetic for a c-section they'd need to know your weight.

SaggyOldClothCatPuss Thu 06-Feb-14 09:05:30

Its really hard to just give in and let them get on with it, and I know they don't always get stuff right. BUT, 36 werks+ is when baby should be gaining the most weight. ( 1 lb a week IIRC) you've not gained much, which i also haven't and I suppose that they just want to keep an eye that all is well. If it's a long while since your last scan they might be checking that your low weight gain hasn't affected the baby/placenta at all. Far better to be safe than sorry.

SaggyOldClothCatPuss Thu 06-Feb-14 09:06:05

And I also have the rage. Remember its just hormones and 'breathe'! grin

PenguinsDontEatKale Thu 06-Feb-14 09:11:29

I have never been weighed at 36 weeks. Good job really as I put on loads in the next 5.5 weeks so it would have been rubbish info for drug dosage!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now