Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Lose weight in first trimester?

(5 Posts)
AK89 Thu 06-Feb-14 00:48:26

Hey!

I'm 5+4 and have basically been eating myself out of house and home for the past few weeks. Eating anything and everything I can get my greedy little hands on. I've never known anything like it. Portions that would normally fill me up just aren't touching the sides! And I feel like I could eat about 6 large meals a day, plus snacks!

I'd already put on a bit of weight over Christmas for obvious reasons! Then when I found out I was pregnant I wanted to get a proper set of scales so I can monitor my weight gain (the ones I had before were cheap crappy inaccurate ones). I weighed myself last week and I was 10st 9.6. Weighed myself yesterday and I was 10st 11.2!!

I really need to get this under control before I become a beached whale! So I'm basically looking for advice as to how to safely lose weight during the first trimester... What kinds of exercises are OK to do? And how many calories should you be eating per day?? I think so far as the food's concerned to be honest I'm gonna eat when I'm hungry as obviously I'm gonna need more food in general while I'm pregnant, especially since I've been getting light-headed and dizzy quite a lot and that seems to be worse when I'm hungry. I'll just have to make sure I'm eating more healthily.. But in terms of exercise I'm not sure what's best, and what's not OK to do at all..

Anyone have any tips? Or preferably firsthand experience?! Getting a bit stressed that I'm feeling like such a big fatty so early on!

Rockchick1984 Thu 06-Feb-14 10:33:45

Congratulations on your pregnancy! You shouldn't try to lose weight while pregnant - you will be putting on a lot more over the next 8 months so honestly, just accept it!

Your body will tell you what it needs food-wise so if you're hungry then eat. It won't do you any harm to try and choose healthy snacks and meals rather than empty calories like chocolate and crisps, but for most people morning sickness or nausea can kick in from around 6/7 weeks so it becomes a case of "eat whatever you can" smile

Don't start a new exercise regime in your first trimester, although you can usually keep doing anything you were already doing. You could also start walking more rather than driving / getting the bus. After 13 weeks you can look at starting some pregnancy specific exercises such as prenatal Pilates, yoga or swimming.

I gained an obscene amount of weight in my first pregnancy, but I really did see it as a licence to eat so unhealthily and I eventually lost most of it without trying to hard. Am now 37 weeks with DC2 and I've gained 2st (ideal for my starting BMI). Both times my appetite has been huge from the start, but this time I've tried to make healthier choices and I've got rid of the car so I'm walking more than last time.

bugoven Thu 06-Feb-14 10:38:39

I was the same at 4-6 weeks. Ate anything and everything in huge quantities. I think with the bloating and Christmas at one point I had gained 7-10 pounds!

I am now coming up to 10 weeks amd have lost it all. I weigh less than I did before amd all die to food aversion, sickness, lack of apetite.

Just go with what your body is telling you. If yoh can being active is healthy too. At the moment I have to stay quite still or I'm really sick!

squizita Thu 06-Feb-14 10:57:05

Similar to bugoven ... I was worried as no sickness/food aversion at the start. Just a craving for dark green veg (folic acid?).
Then BAM week 7-8, upchucking and only feel hungry for snacks of ryvita and cheese. Weighed in Tuesday as the same before I TTC (docs not worried at all, said it's common).

As Rockchick said don't diet when pregnant... but your body changes week-to-week so just eat healthily and go with the flow. smile

AK89 Thu 06-Feb-14 11:33:43

Thanks girls! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now