Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Nappy bin??

(11 Posts)
bankie123 Wed 05-Feb-14 22:40:39

Hi all

I am trying to decide if it's worthwhile buying a nappy bin. I live in a small bungalow therefore smells travel fast. But loads of people say they are a waste of money.

Thoughts please??

smorticus Wed 05-Feb-14 22:42:29

I loved mine!
When dd was a baby I lived in a small open plan apartment and that nappy bin was a saviour. It was bought 2 weeks after she was born as I was fed up of my home stinking!

Grotbagstwin Wed 05-Feb-14 22:44:10

I had one as the house we lived in at the time didn't have wheelie bins so it was the best way of the house not stinking or foxes ripping the bin bags open

FinallyGotAnIPhone Wed 05-Feb-14 23:14:23

We did have one which we used all along with dd1. But they start to honk after a while when the baby is on solid food and doing proper poo.

With dd2 I've got rid of the bin and just put nappies into a nappy bag and put them outside in the wheelie bin. Much easier/ cheaper/ less faff.

Wouldn't bother if I were you.

ouryve Wed 05-Feb-14 23:15:22

We got rid of ours. A good metal pedal bin contains the smell far better and is cheaper for bags.

LifeOfPee Wed 05-Feb-14 23:19:35

I had one with DD when I lived in a flat and the communal bins were across the carpark. It made sense to have one then. With DS I haven't bothered. Smelly ones go straight in the wheelie bin outside and non-smelly ones are in nappy snacks in the ordinary bin.

It depends if you have easy access to an outside bin or not whether it'd be a waste of money, IMO.

SomethingOnce Thu 06-Feb-14 00:02:19

I found EBF nappies didn't really smell. After that, tightly tied nappy sacks in the bin was fine.

Those bins that seal the nappy in a neat little packet are expensive and, IMO, completely daft.

hubbahubster Thu 06-Feb-14 10:21:30

We've just got a cheapo regular pedal bin and that's been fine. Not a big one so it doesn't have the chance to sit in the nursery for long before being emptied, but handy when you don't want to have to go down to the outside bin in the middle of the night. I figured if we started with that and it was awful, we could always upgrade, rather than spending a lot on something which then turned out to be a waste of money.

If you find you need one once baby arrives, you can easily pick one up at one of the million secondhand sales around!

Mummytobe2014 Thu 06-Feb-14 10:30:47

My mum brought me one as it was "invaluable" for my sil but im not convinced i need it as our wheelir bin is jst outside the house!? I guess i will find out in a few weeks time! smile

Ilovecake80 Thu 06-Feb-14 10:37:16

I got bought one by MIL, I never used it. Better of with cheap value nappy bags. Used nappy gets put in the bag then just put in your normal bin to then be emptied at end of the day. Any dirty nappies put in nappy bag then straight in the wheelie bin. x

HopeS01 Thu 06-Feb-14 11:51:37

I have one (bought as a gift), and think they look pretty sensible.
I'm hoping it saves me lots of trips outside in the rain.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now