Talk

Advanced search

Bleeding gums

(6 Posts)
mrsm22 Wed 05-Feb-14 16:49:01

Hi all,

Has anyone else experienced or is anyone else experiencing bleeding gums during pregnancy? I have always looked after my teeth, i go to the dentist every 3 months for a polish and scale and check up, i brush twice a day with electric toothbrush, i floss and use those small little brushes with colourd ends that go between the teeth.... and yet i suffer with gum disease. My dentist says that for some reason my immune system reacts badly to plaque. I think i have managed to stabilise the problem by going to the dentist every 3 months and with my good daily dental routine but I'm 21 weeks pregnant with my second child and my gums have started to bleed quite badly when i brush. My dentist says this won't improve until the end of my pregnancy but i am quite worried about it and just wondered if anyone else had had the same.

greentshirt Wed 05-Feb-14 16:55:34

Exactly the same with the addition of a lot of pain and the only thing that has helped is the routine you describe you are already doing!

My dentist also suggested using saltwater or sunflower oil as a mouthwash.

I'm finding it comes and goes throughout the pregnancy, the peak when it was worst was about 22 weeks so you might see an improvement soon

neversleepagain Wed 05-Feb-14 18:39:20

I had this throughout my pregnancy and it was my first pregnancy symptom. I had twins and the dentist said it was due to more pregnancy hormones. I also had nose bleeds.

CarlyKins Wed 05-Feb-14 20:53:27

Yes i've also had this, quite badly like a mouth full of blood. They bleed with the slightest touch and have sometimes bled just randomly when sat watching telly. I would try not to worry, I think it's quite common in pregnancy and hopefully like your dentist says it will stop when pregnancy is through. All the best xx

allduffedup Wed 05-Feb-14 21:23:56

Mine are extra sensitive at the moment too (11 weeks). They are ok when brushing, but flossing is painful and sometimes results in bleeding. Apparently its not just plaque, but that you have extra blood flow in the gums which makes them more sensitive and prone to bleeding.

EmmaFreudsGivingMeJip Wed 05-Feb-14 22:31:03

yes I had bleeding gums too, I found flossing and using Corsadyl twice a day helped. I also switched to a soft toothbrush.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now