Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

i beg you to tell me what to wear....

(29 Posts)
whiteblossom Wed 05-Feb-14 11:02:09

Please please help. Im 9+3. I have nothing to wear.

Im normally slim, flat stomach, smart casual. All my clothes are fitted, slim fitting.

Currently I can get jeans on but I cant do them up. No one knows Im pregnant yet so Im still in the hiding it stage.

I have a bump band which only works with loose tops in dark colours, I have all of about two tops that work with it BUT I hate the bump band it hot, clingy and I feel suffocated in it. I have one pair of maternity jeans But I hate wearing those even more as the elastic band rests on my lower belly and make me feel ill. Even tights rest on my stomach making me feel sick.

What do I wear, I have one dress which works, everything else highlights my fat belly arrghhhh.

Please please don't say leggings, they really are not my thing (chunky short legs and not my style)

Im a lost cause sob. Im too sick to go shopping.

Artandco Wed 05-Feb-14 11:08:13

I will say leggings. But only instead of tights as stay up better. Get 2 more dresses, in dark colours ie black/ navy/ dark red/ dark green. And wear with leggings and boots/ brogues.

Get short sleeve dresses so you can wear through the summer as you grow. Add a long sleeve top under now when cold. Wear blazers over the top. Casual ones in summer, smarter when out etc etc. oh and get a basic long sleeve simple black dress

Add large jewellery to distract from bump if hiding

Artandco Wed 05-Feb-14 11:09:39

Oh look at seraphine. John Lewis sells them atm also

hugshugs Wed 05-Feb-14 11:10:38

Look at asos - really good selection, can order from home, quick delivery and returns are so easy! Order what you fancy and more, then send a load back.

peeapod Wed 05-Feb-14 11:12:01

pull..

Pull at tops. pull at trousers, dress, anything. If they dont give dont buy but if they do try them on...

there is no hard and fast rules but doing some searching for tummy flattering styles and articles about hiding tummy area (mostly around dieting) are advised.

just pull smile

whiteblossom Wed 05-Feb-14 11:13:54

oh ok I could wear leggings with a dress with flats yup I could do that, I'll look online now thank you!! (who knew one post would convert me to leggings!!
I think its the leggings with loose jumpers/tunics, I would look terrible but under a normal dress sounds fine and less hot than tights. Ive loads of chunky jewellery and a big bag!

thank you so much grin

TheresLotsOfFarmyardAnimals Wed 05-Feb-14 11:14:14

I think its really worth getting some clothes in the next size up that you can wear for a few weeks after the baby arrives. Skater dresses are great, especially wrap top ones that you can BF discreetly in if you choose to go down that route.

Maternity clothes won't look right either at this point IME.

You can also get some nice slobby jumpers etc and wear with scarves. Nothing too expensive unless you want to.

frannie2013 Wed 05-Feb-14 11:22:51

I'm in a similar situation, though I was not all that slim, but not too fat either. i'm can still squeze into some work dresses and tops and just blame it on excess christmas food and drink and wear them with suit jackets that skim my hips and have also bought three really nice new silk scarfs as a 'distraction'. i don't think i've got quite the right answer yet - its still very much trial and error! and what fits on the day. different things do and don't!! and I know what you mean about not being bothered about going shopping!! it seems like such an effort!!!
good luck! i might see about leggings too...

mandbaby Wed 05-Feb-14 11:54:51

Have you tried the hair bobble trick with your jeans? You put a hair bobble (NOT a scrunchie, just the thin fabric covered elastic band type ones) through the button hole in your jeans. Pull one looped end of the bobble through the other end of the bobble so it's secure. You then zip up your jeans as far as they will go then use the bobble to loop it over the button. Holds them secure but still has a bit of "stretch" for when your tummy's grown by the end of the day with eating.

Hope this all makes sense?! It's very hard to describe without showing you!

thereisnoeleventeen Wed 05-Feb-14 12:00:25

Sadly leggings are the only comfortable thing that stay up atm, maternity leggings grow with you so I bought a couple of pairs early on (4th pregnancy, so this time it felt like my jeans stopped doing up as soon as I had the bfp).

I've also bought short sleeved jersey dresses in a size or two up, I will probably wear those until the end of my pregnancy and then beyond (I put them in the tumble dryer to shrink them each time I lose a bit of baby weight).

whiteblossom Wed 05-Feb-14 12:27:58

yup I did the hair bobble thing for a while but found that it was really obvious through tops. The opening of the jeans flairs open and stick out, Plus I still have to wear long tops to cover it up. Oh god I sound so whiney grin

Which leggings does everyone recommend?

eurochick Wed 05-Feb-14 13:12:37

I'm a week ahead of you and in the same boat. I was pretty slim and toned before pregnancy, and have always favoured tailored, fitted clothes. I am now busting out of everything! I am not bothered by the feeling of tights, but I am generally straining at the seams and look like a right chubster.

I've bought a few things that are looser fitting or a size up, figuring they will see me a through the next few weeks until I get to maternity wear size, and as I am unlikely to instantly ping back to a size 10, they will do while I slim down too. I haven't got enough though, so I am still sqeezing into my old stuff, particularly for work. I am walking round the office with a pashmina round my shoulders with one end draped down over my belly at the moment. A bump band sounds like a good idea.

squizita Wed 05-Feb-14 13:23:58

OP and Euro when did you first start experiencing too-tight clothes? I'm 8 weeks and can still fit in my regular clothing (size 10). I have anxiety and am now worried I'm not growing fast enough (although a recent scan and my daily morning nausea says otherwise). I'm a bit off my food, which could be a factor..?

I do have quite an 'hourglass' figure so favour retro-style dresses, plus my jeans are cut for that body shape (more a bootcut). Hoping that's a factor!

MightilyOats Wed 05-Feb-14 13:35:54

Vertbaudet! Get in quick as they have a big sale on - the 2 in 1 dress actually hid my 18 week bump this week grin

Artandco Wed 05-Feb-14 14:04:13

I didn't actually show bump until 20 weeks and even at 40 weeks had a small bump so I wouldn't worry about sizes ( both 7lb + babies)

eurochick Wed 05-Feb-14 14:27:45

squizita i bloated up really quickly (especially in the evenings). From about 6 weeks I would say. And then in the last week it has had a another growth spurt. Believe your scan - everyone is different. (NB, I fully understand your anxiety.) Also, in my case, it is an IVF pregnancy so I am taking progesterone supplements until 12 weeks, and they are known for increasing bloating.

sambababy Wed 05-Feb-14 14:32:57

Have you tried any of the maternity jeans/trousers with the elastic expandable bits at the side? For me they're the best even now at 26wks, really comfortable. I got a black pair from H&M recently (although beware I'm a size 10 normally and had to buy a 14, go figure) but I think Next and other stores do them too. Only thing is they come down quite low so you need long tops.

eurochick Wed 05-Feb-14 14:42:37

I don't feel ready for maternity wear yet, personally. I don't have a bump, just bloaty chub!

Twizzletoes Wed 05-Feb-14 14:58:54

OP I'm 9+2 and feeling the same. I am bursting out of my clothes due to my chub but don't feel that i would fit maternity clothes yet. aaaargh! Luckily I work at home so I can slob in my husband's baggy tops and my sports trousers.

EssexGirlLottie Wed 05-Feb-14 15:10:36

Interesting that I'm not the only one then. I'm 13wks but have been unable to do up my jeans comfortably for a few weeks now. I was a size 14 pre pg but it was almost as though my bump looked more bump-like compared to my slimmer friends. i guess just proving that everyone is different!
I've been coping with a belt expander and bump band but find it cumbersome too. Am thinking i might try some maternity jeans even though i guess they'll swamp me.
At work i'm coping with wrap dresses - although today i really look pregnant but who cares if they suspect!
Good luck!

juicyjuice Wed 05-Feb-14 15:44:36

Maternity clothes look best in late second/ early third trimester I think! Buy some smart tops to wear with trousers or stretchy skirts, some over the bump jeans (they will stay up), scarves, loose cardigans, maxi dresses etc. I also used to wear dresses more to work as they are more forgiving. No one will notice you are a little heavier, don't worry! I thought I looked massive but looking back at photos from then and comparing them to my massive 41 week belly now is depressing!

DomesticGoddess31 Wed 05-Feb-14 18:19:52

The hairbobble trick with long vest top to cover and smooth and bubble hem top over that. I got away with it for ages at work with that combo. No one suspected!

Plateofcrumbs Wed 05-Feb-14 19:16:26

I've said it before and I've said it again: Cos is your friend - full of unstructured tops and dresses which drape flatteringly concealing the early bloat and bump.

This dress for instance (on sale!) I've been wearing about once a week at work with a variety of jewellry, scarves etc. now 16 weeks and still concealing the bump perfectly:

http://www.cosstores.com/gb/Shop/Women/Sale/Knot_detail_merino_dress/239674-14956078.1#c-24479

Other than that: maternity jeans and trousers are worth buying early as you can wear them from the outset without looking odd (unlike a lot of maternity tops/dresses which need a bump), and are frankly just more comfortable than faffing to convert regular trousers.

I'm basically wearing a selection of cos dresses with chunky jewellry or skinny H&M maternity jeans topped with loose shirts and long scarves. Am comfy, still feeling stylish and have not had anyone looking suspiciously at my stomach yet!

summerbaby2014 Wed 05-Feb-14 20:01:33

Seraphine is great, particularly for floaty or empire line dresses that don't really look like maternity wear.
I've got a couple of empire line dresses from phase 8 that I can still wear (21wks now).
ASOS is great for maternity jeans in varying leg lengths. Sounds like you might prefer under-bump ones.

Good luck!

summerbaby2014 Wed 05-Feb-14 20:03:34

Tights are the tricky bit! Try getting a bigger size or cutting the waist band. Maternity tights are useless.
My ASOS over-bump skinny jeans are the best! And you can't tell they are maternity if worn with a long top

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now