Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

IVF pregnancy induction

(19 Posts)
Londongirl84 Wed 05-Feb-14 09:15:03

Were any of your IVF babies induced just before or on EDD? I've heard that some hospitals do this and wondered why. I'm a real worrier and so would be keen to be induced around EDD to avoid going overdue. Please let me know experiences x

Expectingtwins1975 Wed 05-Feb-14 09:21:23

Hi Londongirl - my hospital's policy is that they will enduce any IVF pregnancies at 39 weeks. When I asked my booking in student midwife she had no idea why so im still none the wiser re the logic of it.

Londongirl84 Wed 05-Feb-14 09:39:16

Can I ask where your hospital is? That's really interesting. I wonder if I can ask. I've been such a worrier all pregnancy that not going overdue would put rest to my anxieties x

highlove Wed 05-Feb-14 09:51:03

My hospital don't routinely induce any earlier than normal(40+13) just because it's an IVF pregnancy, but will do so if you are very anxious.

I asked my consultant why some hospitals routinely induce early - he said it is an out of date practice from when IVF mums were generally older mums. That's doesn't really apply any more and have stopped doing it routinely if there are no indicators other than it being IVF.

Londongirl84 Wed 05-Feb-14 10:30:10

So how do you go about asking for an induction?! Is this frowned upon? Thank you for replies so far smile

SomethingOnce Wed 05-Feb-14 11:10:04

You can ask, but they probably won't do one unless there is an actual indication.

Inductions come with their own risks.

CaipirinhasAllRound Wed 05-Feb-14 11:54:16

as far as I'm aware I'm not being treated any differently for having an IVF pregnancy and no-one has mentioned induction to me at all - am 30 weeks.

highlove Wed 05-Feb-14 12:38:15

I think it depends. Are you consultant-led? In some areas you are routinely if it's an IVF pregnancy. If you are it's more likely you'll be able to have a discussion about induction at 40 weeks. Otherwise you'll need a tame midwife..

I think - like IVF itself - it's all a bit hit and miss and depends on the policy of your PCT, hospital, consultant, etc.

PenguinsDontEatKale Wed 05-Feb-14 12:50:14

My hospital didn't routinely induce IVF pregnancies (I didn't have IVF, but a close friend did). They followed the exact same protocol as other pregnancies. Worth bearing in mind that induction, especially early induction, has its own risks.

Londongirl84 Wed 05-Feb-14 15:35:57

Thank you for all your comments. Any and all experiences welcome! X

Mishmashfamily Wed 05-Feb-14 15:38:04

I can't understand why? Maybe it's to boost the rates for live births?

I went a week over with my IVF miracle !

Enjoy the ride!!!

PenguinsDontEatKale Wed 05-Feb-14 15:46:55

Mishmash- as I understand it because some hospitals routinely treat ivf as 'high risk' throughout. Not sure what the reason for that is though.

Expectingtwins1975 Wed 05-Feb-14 18:43:51

My hospital is the PRUH in bromley

Expectingtwins1975 Wed 05-Feb-14 18:47:11

I'm consultant led because I'm having twins but even if I was just having 1 baby I would have had the choice to be consultant led because it was ivf.

Mishmashfamily Wed 05-Feb-14 18:53:12

I wonder why it's considered high risk? I used a private clinic but was discharged at ten weeks to the NHS, at what a bloody shock that was!

I wish I was rich as I'd pay privately all the way!

Mishmashfamily Wed 05-Feb-14 18:56:26

The thing that amazes me is the internal scans you get with IVF . The scan I have of dd at eight weeks and she actually looks like a little jelly baby eith arms and legs!

Best on was the picture of the blastocyst as it was being 'put back in' AWSOME !

MicrochipsAndMemories Wed 05-Feb-14 19:03:17

My wife is consultant lead after IVF. They told us they don't let IVF pregnancies go past the due date because there is more change of placenta failure.

Mishmashfamily Wed 05-Feb-14 19:12:07

I wonder if you received IVF in the same hospital as you continued your pregnancy in they prefer to induce?

Or if it differs from trust to trust ?

Wonder what the national guide lines are?

vallinnapod Wed 05-Feb-14 19:18:01

This sounds odd. DS was an IVF pregnancy and it was never once mentioned I would be induced at any point other than a 'regular' pregnancy. I had him entirely naturally (2 paracetamol) in the MLU at UCH at 38+5

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now