Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Birth plan

(8 Posts)
zinher Wed 05-Feb-14 00:28:50

I had birth plan discussion at my midwife appt today. I hadnt made any decisions yet but some things I had clear ideas on like no pethidine and not having any students in as I am very nervous and want as few ppl around as necessary.
She was scribbling away on my green notes throughout. Having read the notes I dnt think she has listened to me at all. She has written happy to consider all pain relief option, forceps and ventouse discussed, happy for trial shock all pros/cons discussed (they weren't)
About third stage she has written happy to have symmetmetrine (sp?) I told her I didn't know much about it and would like to research it.
She hasn't mentioned about no students.
So far she had been brilliant so I am shocked at what she has written.

I wanted to know can I alter these points or should I write a separate plan to over ride hers. I am still not sure about everything and I told her I wasn't confident writing a plan yet as I wanted to think more about it.

MrsCakesPremonition Wed 05-Feb-14 00:31:01

Think it through, write your own and present it to the MW when you arrive at the hospital in labour. Tell her that it supersedes the one in your green notes.

Pixielady83 Wed 05-Feb-14 02:49:12

I agree with Mrs cakes, take your own. My team were very good at reading through mine (3pg bulleted tome blush ) even the lovely surgeon who ended up doing my section read and then came and apologised to me bless her as she said she knew it wasn't at all what I wanted! I had a very positive cs though with immediate skin to skin etc so maybe birth plan helped influence that. I think NHS website has a template.

zinher Wed 05-Feb-14 09:58:07

Thanks I will have a look at the NHS website

SaucyJack Wed 05-Feb-14 10:07:22

Feel free to write your own birth plan.

Remember tho, that what she's written is most likely the stuff that the hosp. MWs will actually want to know, as opposed to what you might think are the important bits.

zinher Wed 05-Feb-14 10:45:18

saucy it gave me an idea of what they expect but I have no idea why she wrote things that I hadn't said and omitted others. I think I will ask her about it. The other thing that's worrying me is that the hospital has only 2% epidural rate. If I need induction I would want epidural so am concerned about this low rate. The other hospitals also have similar rates ranging from 5-7% but this one has by far the lowest.

SomethingOnce Wed 05-Feb-14 11:06:15

I've noticed in my notes (not birth plan) where things have been recorded as discussed that weren't even mentioned.

I think they're box ticking, but IMO it's very wrong to effectively be untruthful in medical records. If time limitations preclude these things, they should be being honest about that.

AlwaysDancing1234 Wed 05-Feb-14 14:11:15

I've had to correct my notes recently.
I bled for nearly 8 weeks between 12 and 20 weeks with 2 massive bleeds resulting in hospital. (Long story but all ok now thank goodness) When I saw midwife at about 17 weeks I told her I was still having light bleeding but when I got home I noticed she wrote "no longer bleeding" on my notes which was totally incorrect. I put a * next to this and added in a note in to the file which I signed and dated. I will of course bring it up with midwife when I next see her but didn't want my notes being incorrect in case I ended up being admitted to hospital again in the meantime.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now