Talk

Advanced search

TENS machine "practice"?

(15 Posts)
Cariad007 Tue 04-Feb-14 21:35:21

I'm due in about ten days and the TENS machine I ordered just arrived. Should I somehow practice with it? What do I do? Feel a bit clueless tbh!

puddleduck16 Tue 04-Feb-14 21:38:10

Something I was wanting to know too!!! Will watch with interest for those that can help us!

stargirl1701 Tue 04-Feb-14 21:39:49

You and your birth partner should practise putting it on in the correct position, how to operate it and how to change the batteries.

TheFantasticFixit Tue 04-Feb-14 21:47:24

I was told NOT to try and use it though in its appropriate positions in advance of contractions starting. I think it can start contractions if I remember correctly (although check this because it was a couple of years ago now). Obviously you can practice changing batteries etc but to be honest I didn't do any of that and mine was super easy to use in the end

stargirl1701 Tue 04-Feb-14 21:49:09

Yes, don't turn it on!

LavenderFox Tue 04-Feb-14 21:56:34

You can and should try it on once you are 37 weeks or over. It is absolutely fine to switch it on and test what different settings feel like.

LavenderFox Tue 04-Feb-14 21:59:07

And no, it doesn't start your contractions or have any impact on them as such. If it did we would use them for induction of labour instead of the expensive synthetic drugs....

Beanymonster Tue 04-Feb-14 22:01:09

Yes, we tried ours then left it at home.. but make sure dp gets a turn too!

And then remind him that that pain he is feeling is only meant to distract you from the much worse actual pain.. That's when my dp realised what I was preparing to go through!!

puddleduck16 Tue 04-Feb-14 22:19:22

oooh, spare batteries!! Never thought of making sure I had some of them. another thing to add to my list!!

stargirl1701 Tue 04-Feb-14 22:20:43

I had to change batteries with mine. It really worked for me. I got to 8cm with the TENS then popped into a birth pool.

Wilberforce2 Tue 04-Feb-14 22:32:05

I am unsure whether to get one or not, do they really help?

MrsCakesPremonition Tue 04-Feb-14 22:37:03

Attach it to the back of DPs hand and watch those muscles twitch.

EmB1715 Wed 05-Feb-14 08:31:12

I have no idea if it helped as labour still hurt like hell but I gave birth with my TENS still attached with no other relief so definitely worth a go! My NCT teacher said not to switch it on until contractions start. Put it on in early labour and adjust intensity as cx get stronger. Use the boost button if you have one. Also make sure you have spare gel pads they wear out quickly

Rockchick1984 Wed 05-Feb-14 08:39:03

My physio said recent research has shown its fine to use third trimester, so if you need to start using it then it should be fine (she recommended it to me for managing my PGP).

comfyonesie2 Wed 05-Feb-14 15:15:01

Yes have a go with it! I've been using mine for the last week and it seems to take the edge off my sciatica (39+3 now). It's good to know you're way round it before labour kicks in I think. I love mine grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now