Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Maternity Allowance questions

(5 Posts)
moobaloo Tue 04-Feb-14 21:06:39

Hi

I have been looking at the government info on MA and believe I am eligible for it. I've been employed the whole of the test period but am not eligible for SMP as I changed jobs and won't have worked for current employer long enough to claim SMP from them. I will be leaving 4 weeks before my due date.

Soon I've been looking at applying with payments to start 4 weeks before my due date (it appears I can't start payments before I leave my current job? Not a problem but just wondering if I am correct in thinking this?)

It says payments may be made for up to 39 weeks after they start. Great, but I am trying to work out what circumstances would result in the payments stopping sooner than 39 weeks? I'm just trying to work out how long I have receiving this.

I assume they'd stop if I went back to work, fair enough, I'm not planning on it, at least not in those 39 weeks. But if the payments are going to stop sooner I will probably have to find something... So I'd like to know if they are likely to I guess!

I don't receive any other benefits, neither does my partner

I'm finding it so confusing!

Help?

sleepyhead Tue 04-Feb-14 21:09:12

AFAIK the payments, if you're eligible, would only stop if you went back to work.

It's the same as SMP - this is paid for up to 39 weeks, the "up to" meaning if you go back sooner you won't get SMP as well as your salary.

RugbyWidow7 Tue 04-Feb-14 21:16:08

Hello moobaloo. I'm not sure how much help I can offer apart from, myself and a friend both received a lump sum up front this time, which will then shorten the term we receive MA for - i.e. we won't get the full 39 weeks, as we had a larger amount initially. This didn't happen last time so I don't know if things have changed, but it is my most recent experience. The amount you get depends upon your income I believe.

moobaloo Tue 04-Feb-14 21:44:20

Thanks. That makes sense re returning to work, unfortunately my employer has asked me to do occasional filling in days for her, which I would love to do but can't as I can't afford to lose the MA. I have read that I can do 10 "keep in touch" days at work during the duration without it affecting MA as long as I tell the job centre about them. Sounds sensible. I wouldn't be working for the money, just to help her out if they're short.

icklekid Wed 05-Feb-14 06:03:25

Yep moobaloo you get 10 KIT days that won't affect your maternity pay I'm planning on using these to try and allow me to stay on maternity leave as long as possible!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now