Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Baby shower

(13 Posts)
hayesgirl Tue 04-Feb-14 17:18:48

My mil wants to throw me a baby shower which is fine but I have not the first clue when it is appropriate to have it, how much notice I need to give people etc. I've never had one before and never been to one either!

I was thinking last weekend in April (I'll be 33 weeks) - when do I send invites? Shall I do proper invites or text/email/Facebook people?

Luckily my mil has said she will organise everything so this is the extent of my involvement! : )

Would be interested to hear people's experiences/thoughts on the subject.

Catsize Tue 04-Feb-14 17:36:25

My only thought on it is 'don't do it'.
I refuse to go to them. I find them a bit grabby and a bit spoooooooky.
Sorry to be a gloom merchant.

Mim78 Tue 04-Feb-14 17:38:18

I have specifically said no presents and that it is just a get together.

Other than that my friend is organising it for me :-)

jamtoast12 Tue 04-Feb-14 17:44:18

I'd also not do one - I've been to a few and everyone moans about them behind the persons back! they're very me me me I find plus tempting fate I think. Sorry but genuinely I don't know anyone who likes them!

Only1scoop Tue 04-Feb-14 17:44:21

Sorry another gloom merchant who can't abide the whole baby shower mularchy....even worse those baby cakes <shudders>
Not sure re the invites. Been to two held by expectant mums best friends....the one sent texts....other a formal card invite....

meditrina Tue 04-Feb-14 17:53:51

MIL must send the invitations (though you could help her prepare them).

This is because "shower" is short for "shower with gifts" and unless you want to look dreadfully grabby, the honouree simply must not be the host.

talulahbelle Tue 04-Feb-14 17:58:31

I'm having one, but only because I'm pretty much the last in my group of friends to get pregnant, so I've been to a few. Things to remember that I have learnt - provide lots of nice food and cake for your guests, don't make them play stupid games (baby food in a nappy - why?!) DON'T have a gift list, and let someone else do all the organising.

orangemouth281 Tue 04-Feb-14 18:19:20

My DM and DSis insisted on hosting one for me, they did all of the organising and invited everyone. I specifically asked them to tell the guests no presents, but everyone brought one anyway! It was a nice get together with all my female family and friends. I was 34 weeks at the time.

Mamma1979 Tue 04-Feb-14 18:31:35

I'm having a Yummy Mummy get together rather than a baby shower. We are having afternoon tea, showing all my female friends and relatives the nursery and baby things we have bought and just having a nice get together in celebration of the imminent arrival. I will be 31 weeks when it happens.
I've popped on the invites 'no presents' but I have a beautiful book that everybody can write their tips for motherhood in and wishes for the baby.
Some people have said they will bring a small gift anyway.
No party games, just a lovely calm Sunday afternoon with friends and family, a few decorations to link the event with the colours of the nursery.

Cupcake11 Tue 04-Feb-14 18:33:43

I've been to two. One was lovely and everyone had a great time. The other was awkward and she had a gift list full of expensive things and everyone bitched about it.
I think they can be great get together with your girl friends if they're organised in the right way. I second you shouldn't host your own though!

Writerwannabe83 Tue 04-Feb-14 19:16:18

My sister spoke to me about having one and I was really against it - they can seem so grabby and attention seeking!!!

In the end we compromised that she is allowed to host a Girls Night in on my behalf, she can get me a banner and balloon but there is to be absolutely no presents!!! I was very firm about this. No games either! It's just all so American and cheesy. In terms of eating we will just be going to the Chippy.....classy grin

eurochick Tue 04-Feb-14 19:20:04

Another "just don't do it" here. So American and grabby...

NinjaPenguin Tue 04-Feb-14 19:20:27

I've had mine at 33-34wks, so the time you suggested sounds perfect. Not too close to the due date, but not too early either, and gives you time to sort stuff out or whatever. My MIL organised two of them, my best friend the other, and all without my input obviously. I've helped organise one for a best friend and been to a few. It's great fun and a lovely memory, we all just got together and celebrated smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now