Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

I think there is going to be an announcement by my daughter tonight

(22 Posts)
lilibet Tue 04-Feb-14 17:06:26

She's texted me and told me that she needs to talk to me, it's something she isn't doing by text, she rang and said it's probably what I'm thinking.

She e mailed me and said that she needs her mum A LOT!

She's 25, lives at home and has a lovely boyfriend of about 6 months, they are planning a big holiday soon then plan to save for a deposit for a house.

I'm meeting dh at the cinema now and she won't be home until later

I'm a nervous wreck

Whaddya think?

I'll be back later

AlwaysDancing1234 Tue 04-Feb-14 17:10:05

Engagement/marriage or pregnancy would probably be the top of my "what could it be" list. I hope it's happy news for you all, hope she or boyfriend are not poorly or anything.
I have an awful relationship with my mother so I'm envious of your relationship, it's lovely that your daughter can share her news with you, whatever it is.
Do report back with your (hopefully) good news!

AlwaysDancing1234 Tue 04-Feb-14 17:10:25

Engagement/marriage or pregnancy would probably be the top of my "what could it be" list. I hope it's happy news for you all, hope she or boyfriend are not poorly or anything.
I have an awful relationship with my mother so I'm envious of your relationship, it's lovely that your daughter can share her news with you, whatever it is.
Do report back with your (hopefully) good news!

curiousgeorgie Tue 04-Feb-14 17:13:57

Would it be good news to you?

I think it could be either engagement or pregnancy. Eeek, exciting anyway.

meditrina Tue 04-Feb-14 17:18:25

I hope it's happy news.

If she needs her Mum, the happy news is much more likely to be PG not engagement.

lilibet Wed 05-Feb-14 07:01:19

yes, she's pg. She was quite teary and the bf isn't happy. I've told her to join here and start a thread asking for advice. She has always been very against abortion but dh and I have told her that whatever she decides we will do our best to help her with it.

CouthyMow Wed 05-Feb-14 07:26:53

Would it help her to know that having a baby at 25 isn't the end of the world? I had 3 DC's by 22. I'm now 32, we're all still here! grin

I hope that whatever she decides to do, it is her decision, and she doesn't feel pressured by her DP. thanks

AlwaysDancing1234 Wed 05-Feb-14 07:35:24

I think she is lucky to have you to support her, no matter what the decision. All you can do now is be a listening ear and just be there with hugs, hope it all works out x

hootloop Wed 05-Feb-14 07:43:16

It's probably not age but the situation that worries her, I was pregnant with my second at 25 but was married and already a home owner.

I would be worried about those things too if I was you OP. I am sure you have brought her up well enough to know she has choices and you will support her what ever happens.

PenguinsDontEatKale Wed 05-Feb-14 09:27:53

Your poor DD. It is a horrible decision to make. I have been there in terms of unplanned pregnancy - though in my mid 30s, married and with kids already, so rather different overall.

It is great that she feels she can turn to you and that you will support her whatever happens. That will mean a lot.

Does she know how far along she is?

LastOneDancing Wed 05-Feb-14 16:02:46

It's such a shame that her BF 'isn't happy'. It takes two etc. etc.

On top of the pressure of an unexpected pregnancy it looks like she may also need to make some hard relationship decisions sad

Thank goodness she has a supportive family.

YoungWoman94 Wed 05-Feb-14 16:18:48

I'm 19 and 26 weeks pregnant and a fulltime student! But I'm also engaged and was due to Wed in April bit had to cancel due to a very difficult pregnancy but have the same date set for 2015. We dont have a house yet, but should get one within the next month. I've been with my partner 2 years and 4 months, he works fulltime on a really good pay to support us :-).
I plan on working as soon as she is 4-6months and ill be finishing college in may/june with the highest grade

I don't think hardly anyone is ever ready for pregnancy whether it is planned or not. My little girl will be here by 37weeks and I have to finish college and move out with my partner by then and that scares me! Just support her, I couldn't of got this far without my partner or a supportive family. Make sure she thinks things through before making any drastic decisions. I lost my first chikd at 23weeks and I was only with my partner 6 months when we lost him (concieved a week into the relationship).. were still together now and happier than ever! No matter what age a girl needs a mum during pregnancy :-)

Tea1Sugar Wed 05-Feb-14 20:06:00

I'm 25 and my second daughter is due in April. There's no "right time". I'm a post-graduate, work full time and am a home owner. I could have waited a decade before starting a family but feel I've done it the right way round for me. I hope she has the support of her bf in whichever she decides. You sound wonderfully supportive yourself smile

Plateofcrumbs Wed 05-Feb-14 20:10:53

Hurrah for supportive mums. Wishing you both all the best, she is lucky to have a mum she can talk to and will support her no matter what.

lilibet Wed 05-Feb-14 20:25:27

Thanks all, it's not taken long and it looks like the bf is coming round! grin

His mum died in November 2012 and it's her birthday today so he spent some time alone at her grave today thinking things through, he's booked half a day off next week when it's her first appointment and started talking about folic acid and what foods she should avoid grin grin

So, I think there are two things left for me to do - nag her into joining the due in October thread and then look into going over to Gransnet!

She's six weeks so I have six weeks until i can officially do a happy dance!

Yay!!

Plateofcrumbs Wed 05-Feb-14 20:29:42

That's great!

Sammie101 Wed 05-Feb-14 20:38:14

Awww lilibet a big congratulations to your daughter smile I'm 24 with a 6mo DD who wasn't planned. Me and OH had only been together 7 months and it was a drastic change. We aren't home owners and I don't have a career but I know that I will work extra hard to provide for my family and me and DP are saving for a deposit for our first home smile I'm glad she has such a supportive mum to be there for her, that will make the world of difference!

PotteringAlong Wed 05-Feb-14 20:41:56

Glad the bf is coming round - if his mum died and to her birthday today then his head was probably in a very different place. Don't be too harsh on him - it took my DH a few weeks to get his head around being a dad and that was planned!

Congratulations.

MoominIsGoingToBeAMumWaitWHAT Wed 05-Feb-14 21:02:06

Congrats to her - it is such a difficult thing to deal with, I'm 19 and due in April, and I'm in the second year of a uni degree - I'll be going back to do my third and final year in September, all being well grin

It throws all your plans completely out of the window, but it also introduces entirely new ones - being pregnant has opened my eyes to an entirely new career that I'm hoping to follow after uni grin

evelynj Wed 05-Feb-14 21:10:04

Congratulations! What a lovely mum you are & a lovely gran you'll be. Hope all goes well & yes, nag her to join here smile

AlwaysDancing1234 Wed 05-Feb-14 22:17:38

Really good news, no matter whether it's planned or not it can still be a shock when it actually happens!
Carry on supporting your daughter as you have been and get ready to be a grandmother!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now