Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Hyperemisis... When to call the doctor?

(3 Posts)
JustDanni Tue 04-Feb-14 08:57:22

Hey guys and girls.
I have been battling through Hyperemisis on and off for the past 6 weeks and I'm about to loose my mind.
I was discharged from hospital last Tuesday after an over night staynon fluids and given a 3rd type of anti sickness medication.
A week on and I have been violently sick since last night and in to this morning. I don't want to leave it for days like last time but I don't want to end up back on fluids in a noisy (and scary) maternity ward for days.
How long should i try to get on before seeking medical help again?

milk Tue 04-Feb-14 11:45:44

If I was in your position, I would call my midwife (or general midwife led unit) and ask for their advice.

StarsInTheNightSky Tue 04-Feb-14 13:58:59

I'd suggest going back to your GP and asking to be put on a different one, as clearly the current one isn't working. I'm currently 23 weeks with hyperemesis and I know how horrendous it is, and if I were you I honestly wouldn't even leave it a day - demand an emergency appointment for today.
Dehydration and all the associated problems set in so fast and can be very dangerous if left untreated. If it makes you feel any better I was diagnosed with HG at 7 weeks, and have am now on my fifth different type of medication (amidst many trips to hospital), so it can take a while to find one which suits, but stick with it and be persistant with your GP. If your GP isn't very supportive make an appointment for a different GP as help can vary hugely depending on the GP in question.

Also, if you haven't already, come and join us on the hyperemesis support thread, I'm a relative newbie but everyone is really supportive and can offer great advice on everything HG related smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now