Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

How often do you see your midwife and what do they do?

(9 Posts)
sambababy Mon 03-Feb-14 17:59:57

Just that really. I don't live in the UK anymore so I'm trying to compare the care I get here with what I consider to be the norm. I see my obstetrician only after each scan & round of blood/urine tests, which has so far been only each 8-10wks. I'm concerned that I ought to be checked more often, to monitor things like my weight, fundal height, bp, baby position/size, other symptoms I might have etc.
Currently 26+3 with DC1

marzipanned Mon 03-Feb-14 21:00:10

Sorry, I don't have my notes handy so I can't remember exactly in terms of frequency but something like every 6 weeks after the booking in appointment (which was at about 10 weeks) and every 4 weeks in the third trimester, going down to every fortnight at 36 weeks.

In terms of what they do: urine, BP, baby position, fundal height, heartbeat. Which sounds really great but I don't put much stock by fundal height and they can get the baby's position wrong too... so basically I think a late third trimester scan will tell you a lot more than even regular MW appointments - will you get that? (Most friends abroad under obstetric care seem to.)

PenguinsDontEatKale Mon 03-Feb-14 21:05:35

Can't remember earlier, but at 20 weeks I had a scan, 25 weeks, 28 weeks and next at 34 weeks. Would have been 31 too if it was my first.

She does urine, bp, heartbeat, fundal height since 25 weeks.

PenguinsDontEatKale Mon 03-Feb-14 21:07:09

Weight is not checked other than at booking (presumably if you have high BMI at that point it might be). They don't really go in for it in the UK.

HandragsNGladbags Mon 03-Feb-14 21:10:59

I had midwife for booking about 10 weeks
Scan 12
Mw 16
Scan 20
Mw 24
Hospital 28 for anti d and bloods
Then mw 31, 34, 37, 38, 39,
Hospital at 40+1

I have had 2 dc fairly close together and am now 27 weeks with dc3 hence by apparently strange level of knowledge

lilyaldrin Mon 03-Feb-14 21:12:16

It's pretty infrequent in the 1st couple of trimesters - 8 weeks and 16 weeks for the midwife, 12 weeks and 20 weeks for scans.

I was weighed at 8 weeks and again at 36 weeks I think.

From 28 weeks I think appointments were 4 weekly, then 2 weekly from 36 weeks, something like that. At these appointments they measure fundal height and listen to the heartbeat.

All appointments they check blood pressure and urine sample. I think I had blood tests at 8 weeks, 28 weeks and 36 weeks.

It works out something like 10 appointments and 2 scans in a normal 1st pregnancy, 7 appointments and 2 scans in a subsequent pregnancy.

Seff Tue 04-Feb-14 08:50:21

8 weeks (ish) for booking
12 weeks scan + midwife at the hospital
16 weeks MW/consultant
20 weeks scan
28 weeks MW blood tests
34 weeks MW
then every 2 weeks from then until 40 weeks and then 41 weeks (if needed!!)

This is for a second pregnancy, they usually like to see you more first time round. I was weighed right at the beginning of my first pregnancy 4 years ago, have never been weighed in pregnancy since.

SaucyJack Tue 04-Feb-14 10:04:08

They should be checking your BP.

Stuff like position of baby or fundal height is absolutely meaningless at your stage of the game tho.

sambababy Tue 04-Feb-14 17:39:28

Thank you lovely ladies! It doesn't sound too dissimilar then, as I think here they also see you more often in the 3rd trimester and possibly I have another scan later on.
Was a bit worried about my bp because I've been having the odd spell of feeling faint, but that could just be the heat!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now