Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Telling work tomorrow......gulp

(8 Posts)
MrsGiraffe12 Mon 03-Feb-14 16:23:38

So, I'm 9 weeks along and am telling me work tomorrow. I work in a catering/kitchen environment so feel I should be telling them as I need a risk assessment to be done, especially with the heat / cleaning chemicals / lots of being on my feet.

Only thing is, I've only been there since mid September. From what I've worked out that is long enough to qualify for statutory maternity leave and pay. Can someone correct me if I'm wrong??

As I've only been there since mid September, I don't really know the management that well, and am really nervous to tell them. Should I just do it verbally or should I put it in writing also?

I know they can't fire me for being pregnant but I'm so scared they will find some other way to get rid of me?! I've passed all my assessments so far and they've never had to speak to me about my work and they've said I've settled in really well and have had my book my holiday for the rest of this year / to early 2015 so I guess that's a positive.

Any advice would be greatly received really. Thanks :-) xx

PenguinsDontEatKale Mon 03-Feb-14 16:32:49

Everyone qualifies for maternity leave. Doesn't matter if you are 8 months pregnant when you start.

Broadly speaking, to get SMP you need to not be pregnant when you join, so if you joined in September you should be fine.

Congratulations smile

Mmolly2013 Mon 03-Feb-14 16:34:22

i started my job in oct and im 3 months now and i qualify so.your definitely safe.

Mmolly2013 Mon 03-Feb-14 16:36:51

The difference is if you dont qualify then you get government maternity pay which is much lower than employer maternity pay for example.im getting 14 weeks full pay then 26 weeks 90% pay wheres as if i didnt qualify id be down by 600 permonth so it def makes a difference

mrsmugoo Mon 03-Feb-14 17:43:16

Statutory Maternity Pay is 6 weeks at 90% them down to the £136.78 per week

Maternity allowance is direct from the government and is the same amount per week apart from you don't get the 6 weeks at 90%.

If an employer offers an enhanced package that is paid for by them and will have specific qualifications to receive it.

Mmolly2013 Mon 03-Feb-14 20:51:14

Thats why I said for example.

MrsGiraffe12 Tue 04-Feb-14 13:24:16

Phew. I told work today (well my boss) and they were fantastic. Really lovely, she's said its confidential till I say otherwise and that she's going to sort the risk assessment out for me. So pleased they know now as I was beginning to stress about it x

Mmolly2013 Tue 04-Feb-14 20:55:31

Brilliant lol

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now