Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Does your bump change?

(11 Posts)
Writerwannabe83 Sun 02-Feb-14 16:43:46

Hello everyone, I'm 32+2 and in a slightly panicky mood as my bump has changed overnight.

For as many weeks as I can remember my bump has been absolutely rock hard, my whole abdomen has been completely solid starting from immediately below my boobs all the way down. Even two separate midwives have passed comment about how hard my bump is.

However, this morning I woke up and I'm soft. There is now a good 3 inches of pure space below my boobs before bump even starts and when I press down on my skin and bump I can dip the area by a good few inches, whereas before my bump was so hard it meant there was no give whatsoever - all I was ever met with was complete resistance! Touching my abdomen/bump was like touching concrete.

However, this new soft sensation is widespread over my entire bump - wherever I press it is now soft and will indent when I push on the area.

I'm sure it's absolutely fine but it's playing on my mind....

Has anyone else ever had anything like this??

MrsJK Sun 02-Feb-14 16:49:13

Sounds to me like your baby has dropped / engaged a little. I have had exactly the same with both pregnancies. Least it gives you a little breathing space now grin.

Littlebean13 Sun 02-Feb-14 17:27:41

Yep I second that it sounds to me as though baby has dropped and is on the road to engaging! Don't worry it's a sign everything is going in the right direction

Writerwannabe83 Sun 02-Feb-14 20:40:51

Thanks for your reassurance - I'm feeling a bit firmer again this evening.

Does anyone else's bump ever feel tender to the touch? The top of my bump, i.e just under my boobs, often feels sensitive to the point where touching it can be uncomfortable at times. It isn't painful but just feels tender. You know that feeling you get when you push down on a bruise - well it's a bit like that.

It has been like it for about a week now. I spoke to my midwife about it last Wednesday and she didn't seem too concerned but it's still playing on my mind.

Amiasmummy Tue 04-Feb-14 12:13:06

Ah yes.. I got panicky around a week ago as my OH pointed out that my bump looked a lot smaller than usual and then I noticed it feel squidgy too. My midwife app last week she felt that I was 3/5 engaged and said this would account for my bump feeling different. I measured spot on for my dates as well. I should also add that my bump still goes firm at times depending how he's laying.

And I can also relate to that tenderness at the top of the bump. I've asked my midwife about it (because I'm neurotic and ask thousands of questions) and she said it is probably where my growing uterus is pushing against my ribs. I've noticed I feel most uncomfortable if I've been sitting upright, rather than slightly reclined or stretched out. I have a fairly short torso so I think everything gets squashed up in certain positions.

Amiasmummy Tue 04-Feb-14 12:13:44

Should have mentioned, I'm 33 weeks and 5 days wink

Writerwannabe83 Tue 04-Feb-14 12:26:16

Thanks amias - I spend most of my time sitting (off sick from work) and I've often wondered if my tenderness at the top of the bump is positional. Bump continues to change from hard to soft throughout the day but I'm trying not to stress too much as he is still moving and wriggling as normal. I'm seeing my midwife next Wednesday so it will be interesting to see what she makes of it.

lilyaldrin Tue 04-Feb-14 12:29:01

I wonder if your baby has swung round so is back to back now? It's usually the hard back that you feel at the front. Lots of time sitting forward (not slouching) and on all fours will help him swing back again.

Writerwannabe83 Tue 04-Feb-14 12:33:40

I told my husband about the 'being on all fours' suggestion and he had a little smile on his face. I think he had ideas of asking me to scrub the kitchen floor though as opposed to sex, lol. Lucky me smile

Amiasmummy Tue 04-Feb-14 13:16:06

As long as baby's movements are normal and you're uncomfortable (rather than being in pain) is say it's nothing to worry about. However, if you feel it's getting worse, or not easing up at any point it's worth ringing for advice. I find that I get relief if I lay on my side and stretch out for a bit.

Writerwannabe83 Tue 04-Feb-14 14:32:42

If anything he is moving more - I've probably had about an hours respite since 08.00am this morning. The movements aren't painful thankfully, just uncomfortable pressure. I have 4 weekly growth scans and I've got a very big boy in there - I'm not sure my body will be able to cope with another 7 weeks of growth smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now