Talk

Advanced search

Blue/purple nipples

(11 Posts)
hobbjobb Sat 04-Jan-14 17:12:09

Help!

I'm 20 weeks pregnant and my nipples are driving me crazy! They alternate in colour between blueberry blue and dark purple and are agony, it's worse when they get cold and I have to tweek them to relieve the pain.
It's the actual nipple itself, not the areola.

All remedies seem to be designed for breast feeding women, is there anything I can do to relive the pain? This is my first pregnancy and I am naturally big titted, if that makes any difference blush

SinkyMalinks Sat 04-Jan-14 17:27:48

Yes!!!! You'll be pleased to hear its gone away now - I'm 29 weeks, but it eased around 26-27 I think. Showering/washing was a nightmare as as soon as I got out of the warm water they would go blue and hurt like fuck.

I never found any miracle solution, but keeping warm - layering a t shirt bra with a vest with a t shirt with a jumper with a suitably placed scarf etc etc. I also started using a nipple balm designed for breatfeeding, but it says to use in the later weeks of pregnancy to prepare them...

Not really sure if its done anything, or if would have settled whatever, but it's much more bearable now.

Good luck - you're the only other person I've heard with it - thought I just had crazy nipples!

NoSquirrels Sat 04-Jan-14 17:47:32

I had this in every pregnancy. Hurt like bloody murder - you have my utmost sympathies. The cold would trigger it for me, so I wore lots of layers, padded my bras and did everything possible just to keep warm. I'm not sure what you could do for the pain itself - has your midwife suggested anything?

Diamondsareagirls Sat 04-Jan-14 17:49:54

I know exactly what you are talking about! I am 24 weeks and can't believe how much they have changed colour. When it is cold they are agony! I have no useful advice I'm afraid but will watch eagerly to see if someone else does.

Janem001 Sat 04-Jan-14 17:53:21

Oh thank goodness! Thought I was the only one. I just try to keep tgem warm. It can be sooooo sore! sad

Janem001 Sat 04-Jan-14 17:53:46

Oh thank goodness! Thought I was the only one. I just try to keep tgem warm. It can be sooooo sore! sad

hobbjobb Sat 04-Jan-14 17:58:44

Ah sorry to hear you're all suffering too, to be honest my midwife just said there isn't really anything that can be done, it's just another one of those pregnancy things we must endure!
I was considering buying a couple of those hand warmers that you reset in boiling water and popping them in my bra when I go out, is that nuts?!

I had to tweek my nips on the bus the other day, I'm sure I looked like a right perv but they hurt so much I didn't care at the time

I will try the breast feeding cream, and hope it gets better in a few weeks.

SinkyMalinks Sat 04-Jan-14 18:02:02

He he. I used hand warmers a couple of times, but only at home, not sure I could pull off the Dolly Parton look outside...

Lucymumtobe Sat 31-Jan-15 13:11:10

Hi!! New to this been reading all the comments, I have the purple nipple problem and I'm only 8 weeks?? What also makes it weird it is only the right one.. Do anyone know why this is yet!! Too much pain sad
Thanks everyone

Gunpowder Sat 31-Jan-15 22:40:28

I get this. Horrible. It's vapospasm

Well fitting bra essential, and staying as warm as poss!

Ticktick Sat 31-Jan-15 23:31:38

Ive been getting this for weeks, now 37+4, its very painful. I think its the blood vessels constricting when you get cold that causes the pain. Keep yourself warns gently tweak them when it hurt.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: