Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

If you faced these risks what would you do?

(19 Posts)
Hannahwillo88 Wed 23-Oct-13 22:03:22

Well if I have a natural labour due to placenta I face the following risks!

Vessels of placenta rupturing when waters rupture
Heavy bleeding whilst in labour which could lead to stressed baby and emsc
Retained placenta due to placenta breaking apart
And heavy bleeding afterwards

I have been told by midwife and go that yes these are risks but could go ok I would have to be monitored through out labour incase baby gets into distress or I can request a c section!

I want a nice calm positive birth experience and I am swaying more towards a c section to avoid all of the above! I have had a terrible pregnancy so far so it's extremely important to me that I have the best experience possible! Would love opinions please

DaleyBump Wed 23-Oct-13 22:13:57

With those risks I would opt for a c-section.

Best of luck flowers

fhdl34 Wed 23-Oct-13 22:16:32

You have to do what is right for you.
I am 34+3 with dc2 and am opting for planned section this time after 48 hour labour, infections for both of is and eventual emcs last time. I am still not 100% sure of my decision, I don't think I will be until the day, but it's my inclination after my first birth experience, which I considered a positive one until I found out a bit more about what happened after I got pregnant this time and asked about it.
And I did hypnobirthing, had a doula, went the whole hog last time, just didn't work out. Thankfully my dd is here and ok but could so easily not have been.
I put my complete faith in hypnobirthing last time so my pregnancy was completely anxiety free but I just can't do it this time and am struggling as a result.
Good luck with what you decide, and do not feel bad if that turns out to be a planned section, it will not make you less of a mother, it's just a day.

purple84 Wed 23-Oct-13 22:18:02

It is completely your decision and only you can make it, but I agree with Daley, especially with u already having had a stressful time of it, it will be more stress free just to opt for C-section straight away rather than wait for problems to arise.
Best of luck, really hope all goes well x

ReluctantCamper Wed 23-Oct-13 22:19:45

what fhdl34 said. you get the rest of your life to be a good mum. how you give birth means zilch, so pick what suits you. In your situation I'd choose CS, but it's your decision.

good luck!

Shellywelly1973 Wed 23-Oct-13 22:32:04

I would go for a c/s.

I say that as someone who avoids medical stuff like the plague but I wouldn't chance a VB with those risks.

Best of luck.

Stevie77 Wed 23-Oct-13 22:35:47

The birth is just the means, not the end!

Placenta vessels rupturing would mean your baby would not survive. That risk in itself would be enough to make up my mind, if I were you.

Good luck!

Excited2meetmyprincess Wed 23-Oct-13 23:02:43

Personally I would go for a section. I have chosen section because of the risks I have if ending up in an emergency one. Xx

HorryIsUpduffed Thu 24-Oct-13 00:03:23

I'm as hippy as you like about birthing (water, hypno, drug free, etc) ... until medical considerations rear their ugly heads.

In your place I'd have a calm section and feel confident I'd given my baby the safest start I could.

5madthings Thu 24-Oct-13 00:05:15

How high is the risk? And why do you ahbe those risks?

I am all for natural birth but that sounds very risky to me so I would go for a c section, and this is coming from someone who has turned down the offer of a c section for one of my births.

tutu100 Thu 24-Oct-13 00:07:46

I have had 2 vaginal births (I won't say natural as the first one bloody wasn't!) and I am a firm believer in trying for a vaginal delivery where possible, but with those possible situations put before me I would be booking a planned c-section.

My DSS has had 2 c-sections, 1 emergency and 1 planned. She said the planned c-section was lovely. Nice and calm and the midwives did everything they could to make it as much the same as if it was a vaginal delivery i.e. skin to skin asap and encouraged her to try breastfeeding as soon as she felt well enough.

TheIggorcist Thu 24-Oct-13 00:13:29

Reluctantcamper, I know your comment was well-meant, but sounds like you're saying by having a cs you are not being a good mother, if "you have the rest of your life to be a good mother"!
I've had two elcs and never had a moment's doubt that I did the right thing. OP are you under consultant led care? Sounds like you could do with another opinion about the likelihood of these things happening etc.

NoComet Thu 24-Oct-13 00:25:11

I'm a scientist and I'd do every bit of research I could and turn those scary possibilities in to facts and numbers.

Then and only then would I decide.

And even with all the facts, in the end you can only trust your instinct.

BettyBi0 Thu 24-Oct-13 00:33:19

OP did they explain why you have these risks?

On the face of it your list of risks looks pretty scary but they are risks (albeit small) in most normal pregnancies too so it is hard to say without more info.

For example is it to do with the position of the placenta within the uterus or did you have any issues with placental insufficiency, clotting problems and bleeds already etc?

Planned C sections can still be calm and positive experiences but they also come with other risks. Would your hospital not offer you an appointment with the consultant to discuss your risks and birth plan? It seems like you need more guidance and support than the midwife could offer you.

DaleyBump Thu 24-Oct-13 00:43:36

TheIggorcist, Reluctant also said that "how you give birth means zilch". I think you're reading too much into a well-meaning comment, nobody in their right mind would judge you for having a CS.

SomethingOnce Thu 24-Oct-13 00:59:30

Another here who'd need more information and data to come to a decision.

I'm also, for myself, very much pro natural childbirth, plus the thought of a section makes me afraid (because I'm a wuss) but if the risks were high I'd definitely take the planned section.

Hannahwillo88 Thu 24-Oct-13 07:18:15

Thank you so much for all your comments I never though in a million years I would consider a c section after havin two wonderful pregancies and births but this pregnacy has been plagued from the word go I have had severe pains, been in hospital with bad bleeding and was told at 20 weeks scan I have another placenta attached to the main one so I have one a the front and one at the back (having problem free pregnancies to this one has been so hard) I know women go through a lot more but I have really struggled with this pregnancy and at 30 wks am still throwing up I am seein the consultant next week as the midwife has said he will have all the up to date info on the risks etc and I am waiting till then until I make my desicion. In the mean time though I am feeling so down and more detached from this baby as time goes on :-( I feel so sad and ashamed saying that and the midwife I have seen has been so supportive and even said I maybe delivered at 37/38weeks as I am starting to feel so low and have a history of eating disorder. I do not want to try a vb if I have to be rushed of for an emsc or emergency surgery afterwards due to the placenta I think all the trauma will just add to the way I have been feeling and push me into full depression. I would rather a
Have a planned section and be in a calm controlled environment.

Thank you again for all your comments

TheIggorcist Thu 24-Oct-13 08:26:40

Daleybump you only have to read a few threads on here to know that is not at all true! And sometimes it is the woman herself who does the most judging.
Hanna I have had two difficult pgs and did not enjoy being pg at all. I could not have two more perfect babies/children. This process is just something you need to get through to get your lovely baby at the end, I would not worry too much that you feel detached (though obviously if concerned after birth do talk to someone).

TruJay Thu 24-Oct-13 10:16:35

I had retained placenta followed by PPH then rushed for emergency surgery after the birth of my son (he was born perfectly healthy and still is to this day so no ill effects caused to him) but it was all very frightening.
I have been told I am higher risk of this happening again as it already has but by no means a certainty, consultant said not massively higher odds than any other woman in labour. During this pregnancy I have had none of the pains or complications my dodgy placenta caused last time, I had a horrendous stitch-like pain where placenta was retained and my son was measuring small for dates from about 28 weeks, placental problems were just never picked up. This bump is measuring perfect and I feel much healthier this time round so am hoping it is a much more positive outcome for me this time, I haven't been offered a c section so can only assume ur circumstances are much more intense than mine but I am booked onto the consultant ward very close to theatre with blood packs at the ready!!
I think I may opt for c section in ur case due to the risk posed to ur baby and with u having bleeds during pregnancy, best of luck x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now