Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Has anyone had one of the NEW *HD* 3D/4D ultrasounds?

(40 Posts)
CrispyFB Wed 16-Oct-13 10:40:01

Not the regular 3D/4D ones that have been around for years. I've had those with previous pregnancies and know how they go. But the NEW HD 3D/4D scans.

Planning ahead as I'm not quite 17 weeks yet, but when looking around for good places to get a vanity 3D/4D scan at around 28 weeks or so, I noticed that there has been an upgrade in technology since I last had one done a few years ago.

It seems some scan places now have "HD" scans (sometimes known as "HD Live", or "Ultrasound HD") which are better quality than the traditional 3D/4D scans. A few of the Babybond ones (think Romford, Leeds, Nottingham?) have them and I think the London Ultrasound Centre. There are probably other places too.

Anyone had one of the new HD ones? Were you impressed? Especially compared to the old style ones?

In case anyone is curious - here's a link to some images done at an American clinic with the new machines: www.baby3d4d.com/ultrasound-and-photography/?album=all&gallery=9.

Writerwannabe83 Wed 16-Oct-13 10:46:25

They absolutely freak me out!!

I had a scan last week ate 16 weeks and in order to completely confirm the gender the sonographer switched to 3D imaging. I turned my head away and thank god I did because she then did a quick sweep over the rest of him. I would have been mortified if I'd seen anything. The first time I want to see my babies face and beautiful features is when he is handed to me after the birth smile

I think it is amazing what scans can show but this whole 3D/4D thing just isn't for me. I think it takes away some of the magic and I also think most babies just look alien and ugly in them, based on scan images I have seen anyway smile

LittlePeaPod Wed 16-Oct-13 11:16:27

Hi Op yes we had one done on Saturday at 28+2. It was amazing. You get a lot of detail and we now know what our DD will look like. She was active so we saw her sucking her thumb and rubbing her face. Kicking etc. It was amazing. We are booked in for our final well being scan at 34 weeks and we are hoping we can get another view of her little face then. I would definetly recommend it.

CrispyFB Wed 16-Oct-13 11:55:34

Writer - I think you probably had a regular 3D/4D scan, not the new higher definition ones I'm talking about as only a few places do them right now. But you are right regardless - it is a matter of personal taste. Early on especially at 16 weeks they look like aliens anyway - you'd have nothing ruined by seeing their faces at that point! We all have our reasons for wanting or not wanting to see their faces earlier - I am somebody who loves to know everything and is quite happy getting all the nice parts in dribs and drabs (sex, some of the facial features etc) but others prefer to get the whole package in one great big moment at the end!

LittlePeaPod - Where did you get yours done? Was it definitely the new HD one? I'm curious as to how good the images actually are (compared to the old style 3D/4D ones) because obviously the websites only show the very best ones they get.

LittlePeaPod Wed 16-Oct-13 12:06:12

Babybond. Not sure if they are the same as you are talking about but I will try and upload a picture later. We thought what we got was just amazing. Not sure what the old scans were like because the is or first..

Snobble Wed 16-Oct-13 12:08:58

Wow i have never heard of these before, they sounds amazing. Would be interesting to see some HD images. I was always put off by the 3D scans before as early-ish on they can look a little alienesque.

Im the same though, i just want to know everything before the big day. I like to know exactly what im expecting smile

CrispyFB Wed 16-Oct-13 12:20:42

LittlePeaPod - Only three of the Babybonds have the new equipment - I'd suspect they'd mention it if they did but maybe not. Was it Romford, Leeds or Nottingham? Here's their link on the subject: www.ultrasound-direct.com/babybond-pregnancy-scans/ultrasoundhd/. Even the regular 3D scans are amazing though - I've had three of them now, one for each DC so far. Some are better than others though!!

Snobble - I hadn't either, I was so excited to see something new! By the time our children are having children, I do wonder how great the technology will be by then. They'll probably laugh at what we have now. After all, my mum had an x-ray with me and that was it!

I also figure (personally) that on the big day of meeting your baby that it is already a huge excitement as it is even if you know what they look like and what flavour they are! So why not bring some of that excitement forward to help motivate through a long and (in my case) risky pregnancy? smile

Makqueen2 Wed 16-Oct-13 12:23:23

littlepeapod where did you have yours?

I want one as I have an 11 year old. He's so excited about the baby, I think a 4d scan would be wonderful for him, but those hd ones loom amazing!

greentshirt Wed 16-Oct-13 12:28:32

Wow they are incredible! Another level to the usual 4d ones! I'll definitely see if I can get to one for one of those. They seem to take the freaky out of it.

CrispyFB Wed 16-Oct-13 12:52:13

Yep - part of the reason for having one for the last two babies has been so the older ones can feel more bonded to baby. It's one thing to talk about mummy's tummy and to feel the odd kick, but to see baby's face? That makes it real. Even if it's not a particularly great 3D scan, it's still pretty good. As this is definitely our last, now I've heard about this new HD scan I will probably not settle for anything less ;-) Last chance to have a 3D scan for a generation!!

LittlePeaPod Wed 16-Oct-13 12:59:00

Makqueen and Crispy I am in West Yorkshire and went to Leeds. I have used Baby Bond and This Is My Baby. I am trying to upload scan pictures at moment to my profile..

FairyJen Wed 16-Oct-13 13:06:42

They look amazing!

Makqueen2 Wed 16-Oct-13 13:13:13

My nearest babybond don't do them yet! I'm in London, looks like www.thelondonultrasoundcentre.co.uk do them.

Don't know how long to wait? Am 16 weeks -maybe 22 weeks?

LittlePeaPod Wed 16-Oct-13 13:18:06

Makqueen they recommend you wait till between 26 weeks and 32 weeks.

Makqueen2 Wed 16-Oct-13 13:28:00

ok, brilliant.

I am booking a sexing scan for 17 weeks, but will look into the 4d on for later on.

CrispyFB Wed 16-Oct-13 16:23:59

Sounds like they were the HD ones LittlePeaPod - would love to see them if you're able to get the profile ones working!

Makqueen - Romford isn't actually that far out from central London.. pretty sure you can get the train quite quickly from either Liverpool Street or Fenchurch Street (not sure which!) The clinic is in the Mothercare in the town centre there so must be near the station I am guessing.

Makqueen2 Wed 16-Oct-13 16:32:54

Crispy, I know but I live in West London! It would take me almost 2 hours to get there on public transport as we don't have a car!

I have found one in Harley Street. Hopefully, babybond will expand the service, there is one a couple of miles from me.

CrispyFB Wed 16-Oct-13 17:04:00

Ah yep, fair enough! I used to live in SE London and a trip over to Kew Gardens seemed to take most of the day! But yes, the one on Harley Street looks quite promising too. I'm also intrigued by their "edited video" whatever that is as well..

Makqueen2 Wed 16-Oct-13 17:22:25

Yeah, it's expensive though!

When I was pregnant in the dark ages with ds, places like Babybond had only just sprung up. I went and I have a video of DS at 20 weeks, just the 2d scan obviously, but that was the height of wow back then! I love the idea that his little brother or sister will have the 2013 equivalent.

CrispyFB Wed 16-Oct-13 19:56:21

BabyBond is definitely cheaper. I have a 3D video of DD1 (2006) at 18 weeks and she does look like an alien! The technology was quite new back then I think and the 2D parts were far better. Now of course the 3D is coming into its own!

CherryLips1980 Wed 16-Oct-13 20:58:42

Oh wow! I am sorely tempted to get one - I imagine they're ££££ though

CrispyFB Wed 16-Oct-13 21:01:59

Apparently at BabyBond, they're the same price as the regular 3D scans! The one on Harley Street does seem to be more pricey though, but that's partly Harley Street for you.

CherryLips1980 Wed 16-Oct-13 21:16:09

Ooh, I think they're 'only' £99 - had I not got my 3d scan on a Groupon deal, it would have been more than that at the place I went to. Am due in 2.5weeks and still sorely tempted! I need measuring for some nursing bras so need to go to Mothercare (Leeds) anyway soon.... The only problem is the first appt they have that I can do isn't until 30th Oct - am a bit concerned I might have given birth by then!

OH's response was 'well you're going to see her in HD soon enough. Save the money'. Tight Yorksha boy.

CherryLips1980 Wed 16-Oct-13 21:24:51

Sorry CrispyFB I didn't realise you'd posted! I'm going to ring in the morning and make sure I'm definitely booking a HD appointment - will let you know how it goes :D

CrispyFB Wed 16-Oct-13 23:25:09

Would love to hear - and see photos too! They may turn you down if you're too far along as baby gets too big to see clearly (that applies to any 3D scan) - I wonder what they will say!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: