Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Ovex (mebendazole)

(15 Posts)
SaucyJack Mon 14-Oct-13 17:32:13

Does anyone know if this is something that you really musn't take during pregnancy, or if it's just something they want you to go via the GP for just to cover their own backsides?

Just bought some at the chemist OTC to "do" the kids with, and don't want to waste mine or the GP's time with if she'd only give me the same thing if I made an appt for myself.

I shall spare those of you with a delicate constitution the gories, but it is necessary blush

lizziekal Mon 14-Oct-13 18:11:18

The wonders of Wikipedia:
"Mebendazole is contraindicated in pregnant women because it has been shown to be embryotoxic and teratogenic in experimental animals." Nasty stuff.

SaucyJack Mon 14-Oct-13 19:35:04

Thanks- yeah I did read that. I just wondered if anyone knew the cold, hard facts re: human foetuses. I would hope it did kill off animals tbh- that's the point! wink

LadyMedea Mon 14-Oct-13 20:11:40

The FDA info is here www.drugs.com/pro/mebendazole.html

That link also includes the results of the one study that looked at exposure in pregnancy which showed no increase in malformations or miscarriage.

I'm generally quite chilled about medication in pregnancy but this would make me a bit antsy even with that study result. Probably better to avoid in first trimester at least as that is the most vulnerable time for birth defects. The further along you are the less bothered I'd be in your shoes.

This is the position of the NHS clinical knowledge summary too... cks.nice.org.uk/threadworm#!scenariorecommendation:3

tinkerbell666 Mon 14-Oct-13 21:33:42

Those type of creatures do have a life cycle, so i suggest you stick to a strict hygiene routine and not take anything, also apparently carrots can kill them ?? my dd had them when i was pg, i took nothing, but there is a powder stuff you can get from gp if you need treatment.

mamalovesbaby777 Thu 09-Jan-14 18:08:39

Hello there SaucyJack

Just wondering if you took it in the end, and if all was well?
I'm in the same boat now and can't decide what to do.
16 weeks pregnant and have threadworms blush

x

tinkerbell666 Thu 09-Jan-14 18:17:20

Like someone said up there carrots are good for some reason ? I think when pg you can get a powder stuff from gp, but shouldn't take the tablets.

snapple21 Thu 09-Jan-14 18:23:06

I think if you go to your gp they will prescribe you this out of the first trimester.

mamalovesbaby777 Thu 09-Jan-14 19:42:24

Hi and thanks for replying.

Doc says they don't make Pripsen anymore for the UK (the powder stuff) sad which i would have used!

Wondering if anyone knows how i might get hold of some??

The Ovex pills he won't commit to saying are ok, although says "he thinks it would be ok" hmmmm

chickydoo Thu 09-Jan-14 19:46:45

I took them, didn't know I shouldn't. Chemist said it would be fine.
It was fine DD 10 now, no problems.

SaucyJack Thu 09-Jan-14 23:10:55

Thanks for digging this one up.......... blush wink

Yeah, I did take one in the end. It's routinely prescribed in other countries with no reported effects, so I figured one dose really couldn't be that awful.

So far, all has been well with the baby. I am still pregnant tho, and there is of course a chance that the baby has grown an extra ear on her back or 37 toes since I took it.

But I'm happy with my choice.

mamalovesbaby777 Fri 10-Jan-14 11:16:31

Yeah soz for that SaucyJack ;)

thanks for replying guys. I'm gonna give it some days on the pumpkin seeds (not loving them i'll be honest) and cleaning and then if i can't shift them / have a nervous breakdown i'll take it. That's the plan anyway ;) I'm probably being over cautious but we lost a baby girl last year so...i'm uber cautious i suppose, although in real life i'm not at all, hence my dilemma-ing!

Doc says try and leave it til past 20 weeks.

Want to try and get hold of some Pripsen but proving difficult. I can't believe it's discontinued. How else are you supposed to treat kiddies under 2???

Babyno15239 Tue 04-Feb-14 18:08:05

Im about to crack & take it! I'm nearly 39weeks and can't bear it anymore! Xxx

Babyno15239 Tue 04-Feb-14 18:23:53

Did anyone have side effects and if so how soon after ? ��

mamalovesbaby777 Wed 05-Feb-14 09:23:26

Sorry can't help u there, as mine appear to have gone without meds. Saying that, I may have taken the tablet if they hadn't cleared up. As somebody said below, they are routinely prescribed in other countries. Don't let it spoil your special time and follow your gut. Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now