Talk

Advanced search

Repeat Blood Tests

(12 Posts)
Emilycee Fri 04-Oct-13 12:45:22

Hi everyone I just had a call from my doctors surgery asking me to come and do repeat bloods in 4 weeks (Ive just had 12 week scan and bloods approx 2 weeks ago) my nuchal results came back with low risk for downs so I was just wondering why they would test again in 4 weeks? Its my first pregnancy so not sure what is normal or not! The receptionist didnt know why she suggested I could be borderline but borderline what? Has any of you ladies had this or much experience of blood tests? Thanks

LadyMedea Fri 04-Oct-13 15:00:21

Probably something is near the threshold for them wanting to do something... I.e. your iron levels. If you are speak to your midwife as she should have your results too and might be Able to explain it.

quackojuliet Fri 04-Oct-13 17:08:35

i had something similar, but a little later into 2nd trimester. very frustrating when they won't tell you.
if you're anxious about it, do you have a midwife line you can call? they have always helped me when i'm being passed from person to person at the hospital.

GeraldineAubergine Fri 04-Oct-13 17:10:26

Im having regular repeat bloods because of funny antibodies. They want to keep an eye on the levels and to see if any different ones develop.

Emilycee Fri 04-Oct-13 19:28:05

Yes I think I will ring the midwife - I havent actually met mine yet as due to a shortage in the area I had to go and have my booking appointment at a different surgery with a different midwife! Joys! Thank you everyone.x

cravingcake Fri 04-Oct-13 20:12:08

I have had a repeat blood test this week (23 weeks). The midwife told me at the appointment that they needed to do one to confirm my blood group confused even though this is my second pregnancy and its already on my notes.

I said yes to it as i asked them to check my iron levels as well (had test for that 2 weeks ago).

dimdommilpot Sat 05-Oct-13 07:42:16

I got this yesterday 2, im 13wk 3d. Really got me panicked but im pretty certain its my iron levels.
I take comfort in that if it was something serious they would get me in straight away, not wait a week for an appointment.
Im sure it will be fine, try not to worry.

ch1134 Sat 05-Oct-13 08:11:12

I get them for monitoring antibody levels too... There was talk of a consultant but I've heard nothing for weeks... Make sure you ask all the questions as they won't go out of their way to keep you informed in my experience!

Frankinsense Thu 12-Jan-17 12:49:26

I had a blood test two days ago. This morning they called me and said they'd lost the sample and wanted me to come in and repeat it. I said fine I can come in any time, but they said their first available appointment was the 29th
Am I odd in finding this strange? Could they possibly have found something that needs to be retested but only after a two week delay?
If they have found something life threatening I'm not worried. My beloved husband died six months ago and I'll never be happy without him.

chelle85 Fri 13-Jan-17 13:06:39

Sorry for your loss Frankinsense. Have you got some support as your last comment that you are not worried if they have found something life threatening worries me. Grief can be pretty overwhelming and it sounds like you need to talk to someone about how you are feeling. I'm sure there is nothing to worry about in the blood tests but please do seek some support for your grief x

toomuchtimereadingthreads2016 Fri 13-Jan-17 14:18:28

I live in a different country and here they do blood tests per trimester, just to keep an eye on levels and possible anaemia etc so wouldn't think it is anything to worry about xx

Slightlyperturbedowlagain Fri 13-Jan-17 14:26:07

cravingcake Blood compatibility is actually much more complicated than just what people know as their 'blood group'. Although your ABO blood group doesn't change at all there are a large number of possible antibodies that can affect your compatibility with blood and blood products. Many of these are ones that can develop during pregnancy or during other relevant events (receiving a blood transfusion is another one), which is why you may need further antibody screens later during pregnancy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now