Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Don't make the same mistake as me (tmi)

(13 Posts)
GemmaD12 Sun 29-Sep-13 13:23:25

Hi ladies,

Whatever you do - don't make the same mistake as me today!

DH and I have been out for the morning, and for almost the whole time I have been having the 'urge' to go to the toilet.

However, due to my reluctance to 'go' anywhere but at home, I have ignored it all morning.

Now I'm home, have tried the toilet, but because I have waited so long, my bowel has frozen up, I feel constipated and I can't go! The muscles just won't work properly. blush

So if there is one thing to take away from this post - when you feel the need to go to the toilet, make sure you go straight away!!!

Ledkr Sun 29-Sep-13 13:25:08

Warm bath and something to eat! Also sip tepid water.

Thumbwitch Sun 29-Sep-13 13:29:55

I have to admit, because I was prone to constipation anyway and knew that pg could make it worse, I made sure I went whenever I needed to when I was pg with DS1. Didn't stop me getting some really bad constipation episodes, one of which was just terrible and I nearly broke my bum sorting it out.

So when I was pg with DS2 I made even more sure that I didn't get caught by going AS SOON AS I felt the urge - mostly worked.

Having a step under your feet can help, helps to open up the pelvis.
Prune juice may work in a couple of days.
Do NOT take liquorice AT ALL.

GemmaD12 Sun 29-Sep-13 13:38:22

Thanks for the tips Thumbwitch! smile

I hate constipation - it's the straining to go that is the worst!

How bad did it get for you?

Thumbwitch Sun 29-Sep-13 13:44:49

Soo bad. I actually got a bit impacted, the resultant effort was the size and shape of a large apple. That's when I broke my bum (I did actually end up with an anal fissure, but only a small one). I think I pretty much gave birth to that one squatting on the loo seat, which was pretty good going at 7+m pg!! I remember being worried that I might actually give birth before that poo came out...

PinkWitch803 Sun 29-Sep-13 17:22:06

I have to say this is the WORST side effect of pregnancy.

HeffalumpTheFlump Sun 29-Sep-13 17:55:56

Careful OP, don't strain for goodness sake!! You will get piles!!

QuietNinjaTardis Sun 29-Sep-13 18:18:06

Prune juice! Miracle worker, trust me.

colleysmill Sun 29-Sep-13 19:03:19

The only thing I found helped me was a daily sprinkling of All bran on my weetabix.

Awful thing constipation

Windywinston Sun 29-Sep-13 20:15:59

Prune juice works every time for me and works quickly too. It tastes disgusting though!

urtwistingmymelonman Tue 01-Oct-13 05:49:54

prune juce worked for me but is hideous.
shredded wheat worked and tastes much better.

Tea1Sugar Tue 01-Oct-13 07:14:17

Drink hot water whilst on the toilet! I'm a pregnant IBS sufferer and constipation is soo much worse now that I'm upduffed. Everytime I go i give birth to a hard painful apple poo. Hate it hmm I doubt the iron in pregnancare helps

Dexidoo Tue 01-Oct-13 07:16:53

I necked half a pint if prune juice when I was constipated at 6m pg. it worked within half an hour, I had to run!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now