Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Good idea to take almost 7 yr old dd to 12 week scan, or not?

(27 Posts)
Peacenquiet2 Mon 02-Sep-13 15:24:29

I will be having my scan this thursday. I had one at 9 weeks and saw hb and all was fine so im expecting the baby to be ok all being well.
My dd will be 7 soon and as yet doesnt know im pg as we are keeping it to ourselves until scan and we thought it was a big ask to ask a child to keep a secret like that.
Anyhow she already has a brother, my ds whos 3, that most definitly wont be attending the scan as hes a fidget, etc. But she has been asking us to have another dc for a while so i thought it would be nice to suprise her by taking ger up to the hospital and then breaking the news just before the scan. I also thought actually seeing the baby will make it seem real as i know she will be doubtful its actually happening as ive said no for so long! (this dc is actually unplanned so i guess she must have been wishing pretty damned hard!)

I then was going to let her tell my parents and other family, etc so that she gets to be the news bearer which i know she will love.
On the other hand im aware that things dont always go as planned and if there was a chance of somthing being wrong i wouldnt want her to be confused or upset by it.
What do you reckon, would you take your 7 year old dc?

HumphreyCobbler Mon 02-Sep-13 21:30:11

3MenAndMe - you are lucky in that you are surprised tbh as it implies that you have only ever had good news at a scan. I am glad for you that this is so, but I have had more bad news than good news when going to scans, this is my sixth pregnancy but my third child. I have had bad news at 20 weeks.

It is really not surprising that people should preach caution.

Madamecastafiore Tue 03-Sep-13 06:42:31

Both were fine peace. Dd is 13 and DS nearly 9 and at 38 I am 30 weeks with dc3!

Went to FMC this time though as couldn't face the nhs telling me I needed invasive testing because my risk of genetic defects was so high and there end up with nothing wrong.

We are taking the DCs with us to the FMC in a couple of weeks for them to meet their sibling (stroppy dd not taking it well) but they will wait outside until we sure all ok.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now