Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.
To induce, or not to induce, that is the question.(18 Posts)
Currently 32 weeks and went to my recent ob appt where I was told that I will be induced at 39 weeks as standard, but can refuse if I wish.
what would you advise? I'm going to be a ftm and can see both sides of the shiny coin.. a known date for induction, or let baby cook for as long as they need..
It really depends on the reason for your induction. I think for first time births there's a c section rate of 33% if you're induced. That alone would be enough to make me refuse one unless there was very real needZ
op why would an induction at 39wks be standard? Are you outside of the UK or carrying twins?
We that's nice of your doctor to have the decency to say you can refuse . Of course you can!
Why are you to be induced? Can't make a decision unless you know
I'm an expat in the US (fell pregnant one week after relocating )
Carrying just the one baby, but apparently its standard over here to 'choose' your labour date, which was a bit of a shock to me! I have no health implications that would warrant and induction, but quite like the idea of knowing when the baby will be born, but also worried that the birth should be left to nature.. just totally confused!
I was induced with my first 2 and it was a horrible experience which took 4 days and ended up with having my waters broken to bring it on.
If I was you, I would delay as long as they'll let you and is safe for you and the baby.
If there is no medical reason to induce, why would you increase the risks of complications by induction? Madness.
I believe the medicalisation of birth is much worse than the UK for many parts of the US, some places have no midwives, they are eager to give epidurals and syntocinin drips etc (have a read about 'pit to distress').
Do you have any pregnant friends there? Can you get a recommendation for a good doctor that will be in line with your wishes?
Wow, they do medicalise pregnancy to the nth degree in the US don't they! I wouldn't bother unless you have a good medical reason. Massively increases the risk of interventions which in themselves increase the risks of something going wrong.
If there's no genuine medical reason for induction then I really can't see why you'd opt for it at 39 weeks.
I'm due with my first baby within the week, and am panicking about being induced at 40+12, let alone at 39weeks!
I understand that midwives are rare in the US, but is there anyone else you can get a second opinion from?
the doc was in no way forcing me to decide about being induced there and then, he said that when I am checked up the fanjo ar 35 & 38 weeks then they'll have a better idea about what my cervix would prefer my body to do.. I wouldn't want to change doc as I'm really happy with him, but I was just thrown that over here you have 'options'!
Also, you're right.. they're very pro-drugs, and I'm wanting to be as natural as possible, but they hook you up to an IV drip as soon as you're admitted for labour.. so no walking about every etc for me
too late to travel home for a nice NHS birth, but the upside is that I get kept in hospital for 2 days postbirth to have bonding time with DH and baba! hurrah!
They look up your fanjo at 35 & 38 weeks? Gosh they are an impatient lot!! I like our way of "ill ring when it kicks off".
karma - just say no to all of that! I am totally non-woo but even I know and accept that all of that stuff just prongs labour and makes interventions much more likely. The thing is, if you are induced you are then in the doctor's timeline rather than your body's/your baby's if you have a very pro induction doc, he's highly unlikely to deviate from that time line therefore further intervention is much more necessary. My understanding is that forceps are not used in the USA so that path leads to a section.
I would have a long chat with the doc as to what his practise is if you decline induction? How long would he recommend that you go overdue? If you are over due, will he do expectant management for a while rather than recommend induction? Discuss refusing an iv as sutomaticYou don't automatically need one. Discuss moving around and being in active labour.
If this is your first baby, you're much more likely to have a stop start labour. That's fine and normal (particularky if your strapped to a hospital bed) Discusd all that with him and make it clear that you do not automatically want to be hooked up to a syntocin drip if you don't
For everything suggested use the BRAINS mnemonic:
B - what are the benefits if I do this?
R - what are the risks?
A - what are the alternatives?
I - what does my intuition say?
N - what happens if I do nothing?
You can and should have whatever birth you want if medically possible, whether that's an elective section or a water birth. So if you go for induction etc, that's your choice but it should be as informed as possible
Wow, I am constantly amazed to learn about treatment of birthing women in the states.
Find yourself a copy of Ina May Gaskins book on childbirth. I think her midwifery centre in the US has a website and a load of resources for people wanting natural active births in the States.
from what I've learnt the past 8 months, avoid induction without a medical reason, it will only lead to more interventions. I think the research suggests 20% of I auctions end with a c section and another 20% with assisted delivery. You CAN have a natural and active birth in the states, you just need to find a doula/midwife/doc who will support you through it.
Good luck, take some time and do some research in your area and don't feel pressured into medicalised birth without good reason.
Utter madness, why mess when there's nothing that needs fixing. As for 'having' to have an IV for no medical reason you absolutely do NOT have to. If they forced you I think you'll find that's called assault. I wouldn't feel comfortable giving birth there, could you look into other options? Your chances of having a natural birth are greatly lowered with that amount of interference.
Oh yeah and I would decline the internal exams at 35 and 38 weeks too, what exactly are they looking for that other signs wouldn't show. They will achieve nothing. Disgraceful treatment in my opinion.
they'll have a better idea about what my cervix would prefer my body to do
Tell the doctor that you can guarantee that what your cervix would like your body to do is to go into labour naturally. Unless there are any genuine medical reasons not to. Convenience is not a genuine medical reason
Thank you for all your info
I think I always knew that I would let nature take it's course, but just baffled by the differences from home (UK) and here (US).
i have been referring to a doc out in the states through my pregnancy (dp is mentored by him) and he delivered babies for 9 yrs, his attitude is induction is completely unnecessary unless medically indicated, as i had asked about the drip and refusing etc. his exact response was 'why would they induce labour for no reason? totally unecessary unless there is medical need to do so.' if i were you i would be having another confab with your hcp and make clear your wishes for normality and that you dont consent to induction 'as a matter of course because it what they do over there' fuck that shit!
Join the discussion
Please login first.